Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 10:47 PM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes that is what I used just now. 10 min job and here was my fluid.

Originally Posted by g8tor20
I take it this is the fluid that some of you have used?

https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J1C11...rds=ravenol+TF
Old 06-30-2017, 01:25 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I take it this is the fluid that some of you have used?

https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J1C11...rds=ravenol+TF
Yes.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:08 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dion Houng-Lee
Yes that is what I used just now. 10 min job and here was my fluid.

Looks almost like a dark hearty German beer!
Old 07-01-2017, 06:36 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Just a little update... stopped by my dealer today to visit my SA to get on their books for the upcoming AH08 campaign/recall on the '11 variocam bolt replacements.

While there I just casually asked if they're still doing a lot of TC replacements on the 958s. "Oh yeah!" Was his response. He mentioned that a recall might be coming for those as well.

He did say that the updated TC (new part #) such as the one mine recently received, along with the vent kit and the shield is the factory fix to address the issue. Time will tell I guess.

Macans also having TC issues BTW.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:40 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So I have time tonight to change fluid. But I guess I don't have any 8mm bits for a torque wrench. I just have an allen wrench set which has the 8mm so I can take the plugs off. But am I foolish to tighten the plugs back up by hand?

Everyone says to not overtighten so I got that much. Have you folks tightened by hand or is everyone getting the bit and torque wrench dealy?

Figured I'd just tighten to a nice snug fit but figured I'd check here first. Worst case I'll swing by Home Depot this week.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:38 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Ok..home depot only had 40lb+ torque wrenches. Even online most 1/4 drive are 20lbs and up. What are you guys using for 13lbs? Is it only 13lbs? I thought I read on one of the other sites it was 26 lbs.

I'm thinking of just giving it the whole snug tightening by hand with allen wrench.

As always, any help is much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:51 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

I use an inch/lb torque wrench (which converts on the dial to ft/lbs) and gives me very low torque ability.

Are you sure you were not looking at 20-200 inch/lb rating wrenches? There are tons of them out there for sale everywhere.

=Steve
Old 07-05-2017, 09:31 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I use an inch/lb torque wrench (which converts on the dial to ft/lbs) and gives me very low torque ability.

Are you sure you were not looking at 20-200 inch/lb rating wrenches? There are tons of them out there for sale everywhere.

=Steve
Blah. You're right. The one at Home Depot was definitely 40lbs+ as it was a large wrench. But yeah, all the online ones that are $20-$30 are indeed 20-200 inch lbs. Thanks for the correction Steve.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Ok..home depot only had 40lb+ torque wrenches. Even online most 1/4 drive are 20lbs and up. What are you guys using for 13lbs? Is it only 13lbs? I thought I read on one of the other sites it was 26 lbs.

I'm thinking of just giving it the whole snug tightening by hand with allen wrench.

As always, any help is much appreciated.
I can't tell you what to do - since I have no idea of your mechanical abilities. You could be a terror with a wrench. Or you might be wonderful with one.

I'll tell you what I do - is tighten it by hand, using a 6" 3/8" drive ratchet and the correct size Allen driver. I use a 6" ratchet because I use that just with my wrist. Anything longer - like a standard 10-12" ratchet, you are now getting into arm muscles doing the work. A standard L shaped allen wrench will be about the same torque ratio.

The problem with a torque wrench is - the lever arm, especially on the low torque 1/4" ones - is just too long. Muscles don't respond instantly. If you're using a clicker wrench - chances are - by the time you react to the click (or beep with an electronic one) - you've already tightened it past that point due to reaction time. Torque wrenches take some skill to use - especially low torque ones.

I tightened mine until it was snug. "Snug" is a thing that is learned through years of wrenching. It's probably not so easy for a first timer.

If you're not confident in doing it yourself - find a good independent and leave it to them. It shouldn't be more than 30 minutes labor (and 15 minutes of that is loading the PIG on and off the lift.) That cost would be way less than having to repair the transfer case if you over-torqued it.

YMMV, and it's possible you're actually a factory-trained Ferrari mechanic as a day job - but I'm guessing not.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:04 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

why guess with your wrist,... when it's really hard to mess up with a lever type inch/lb like the one I use below. No click guessing involved...

Old 07-06-2017, 01:04 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I can't tell you what to do - since I have no idea of your mechanical abilities. You could be a terror with a wrench. Or you might be wonderful with one.

I'll tell you what I do - is tighten it by hand, using a 6" 3/8" drive ratchet and the correct size Allen driver. I use a 6" ratchet because I use that just with my wrist. Anything longer - like a standard 10-12" ratchet, you are now getting into arm muscles doing the work. A standard L shaped allen wrench will be about the same torque ratio.

The problem with a torque wrench is - the lever arm, especially on the low torque 1/4" ones - is just too long. Muscles don't respond instantly. If you're using a clicker wrench - chances are - by the time you react to the click (or beep with an electronic one) - you've already tightened it past that point due to reaction time. Torque wrenches take some skill to use - especially low torque ones.

I tightened mine until it was snug. "Snug" is a thing that is learned through years of wrenching. It's probably not so easy for a first timer.

If you're not confident in doing it yourself - find a good independent and leave it to them. It shouldn't be more than 30 minutes labor (and 15 minutes of that is loading the PIG on and off the lift.) That cost would be way less than having to repair the transfer case if you over-torqued it.

YMMV, and it's possible you're actually a factory-trained Ferrari mechanic as a day job - but I'm guessing not.

Hah...nah...not a Ferrari mechanic by any means but just not sure this qualifies as taking it to a shop. Clearly 13 foot lbs is not much at all and can only assume these TCs are not under any sort of high pressure.

Again...I am not the biggest DIYer but I think I can handle this task with relative ease. I'll just grab a beam style torque like Steve showed just as added security.

But I do want to thank you for all that you have done with these TC threads. You have pretty much taken the reins on this issue across all the forums. You have done a good job of explaining and tracking this issue on all the platforms. So thank you from all of us that are benefiting.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Hah...nah...not a Ferrari mechanic by any means but just not sure this qualifies as taking it to a shop. Clearly 13 foot lbs is not much at all and can only assume these TCs are not under any sort of high pressure.

Again...I am not the biggest DIYer but I think I can handle this task with relative ease. I'll just grab a beam style torque like Steve showed just as added security.

But I do want to thank you for all that you have done with these TC threads. You have pretty much taken the reins on this issue across all the forums. You have done a good job of explaining and tracking this issue on all the platforms. So thank you from all of us that are benefiting.
I'm not sure where the 13 ft/lbs came from - let me look that up for you..

OK - after much searching (factory 11,000 page manual - useless..) AllData - took about 10 minutes to find - gives:

Transfer case torque values..

And there you have it.. and thanks for the kind words. I tend to write things out as I'm mulling them over - so sometimes you'll see I've changed my original direction on a topic - as I mulled over additional input.
The following users liked this post:
Nhirsch (08-01-2019)
Old 07-06-2017, 08:42 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

I'm not sure where the 13 ft/lbs came from - let me look that up for you..

OK - after much searching (factory 11,000 page manual - useless..) AllData - took about 10 minutes to find - gives:

Transfer case torque values..

And there you have it.. and thanks for the kind words. I tend to write things out as I'm mulling them over - so sometimes you'll see I've changed my original direction on a topic - as I mulled over additional input.
Thanks Don. Yeah, the 13 was listed a few times on this thread (46, 56), post 198 on 6speed and a 4-14 post on renntech. So I just assumed. But thank you for searching and clarifying for us.

Going to to attempt this over the weekend. Then I'll drive around a few weeks and do it again to ensure all particles have been flushed. It's such an easy preventative maintenance item.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

...You could be a terror with a wrench...
Heh, best laugh this morning.

We used to joke "tighten 'til it breaks... then back off a half".

I agree vis using short-handled ratchets for this. Best to snug it up 'reasonably' tight with one of those. I'm not sensing this is a fantastically picky torque setting, it's a plug threaded into a hole, not valve clearances or head bolts. You're mainly after avoiding ruining the threads in the casing by cross-threading or over-tightening.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:36 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My turn for the TC oil change

Originally Posted by wkearney99
We used to joke "tighten 'til it breaks... then back off a half".
Being a wrench turner for most of my life, I have always like the term "calibrated elbow." I thought I heard a click in the elbow.

Ok....I just received my two bottles of Ravenol J1C1125 Transfer Case Fluid TF-0870 from Amazon. I will take a picture of the old oil and post. Like g8tor20 I will drive around and then change again. I will take another picture of the second oil change and post.

15 ftlbs seems like a lot of torque for an alloy casing. So, I have one question: is anyone using any type of sealant on the servicing plugs (snugging) vice torquing the plugs? i.e. teflon tape, high temp silicone.....
I would appreciate any suggestions.

Quick Reply: Transfer case