Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:58 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by marascoa
You're right, I don't know if it truly needs to be "fixed." Are most people taking these to an independent shop to get the fluid changed out or will the dealership do it? Thanks,

Tony
Dealership will do about anything you're willing to pay them to do. If you read the thread - you'll see it's a trivial job and most people have been DIY. Just be careful tightening up the two plugs, so far two people have cracked the rear cover of the transfer case by overtightening. If you don't feel competent to do it yourself then certainly pay someone who has experience to do it.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

2016 Cayenne Turbo, approx. 11,800 miles: Transfer case replaced this week under warrantee.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:40 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Ugh. I may be back in the game here. 2012 CTT.

TC replaced back in April '17 when I had 45k miles.

Last month I start feeling the back end do the "posi-traction bump" like my old 69 Chevelle used to do,.... only when slowly backing up, turning, and then moving forward again slowly.

Given that I have a brand new TC,... I start thinking differentials. So I change both Diff fluids. Weird that it actually got worse.

Called my SA, and he says,... "still sounds like your TC. Bring it in & we'll test it out for ya, no cost". These guys have been great to me for sure. They were able to get me "Good Will" back in April, since I was out of warranty.

Now I'm like What-the-H. Anyway,... I'll report back when I know more.
=Steve
Old 10-04-2017, 10:58 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Took my '17 GTS to the dealer yesterday for it's first oil change. I'd asked to have the transfer case fluid changed as well. Turns out mine has the older style transfer case (build in Fall 2017) and it's recommended to not bother changing the fluid. Rather, wait until it starts showing signs of failure and swap it out under warranty.

Well, ok then, I guess I'll just wait?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Took my '17 GTS to the dealer yesterday for it's first oil change. I'd asked to have the transfer case fluid changed as well. Turns out mine has the older style transfer case (build in Fall 2017) and it's recommended to not bother changing the fluid. Rather, wait until it starts showing signs of failure and swap it out under warranty.

Well, ok then, I guess I'll just wait?
Can we say your dealer is a greedy dolt? I knew we can.

They don't all fail. Actually the majority of them don't fail. Changing the transfer case oil is a trivial job - but bet the dealer didn't have the oil in stock so he came up with that bogus reply to discourage you from having it done.

See if you can find a good Porsche independent in your area. They shouldn't charge more than 30 minutes labor - and the Ravenol oil is cheap, and appears to be quite compatible with our transfer cases.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:14 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Can we say your dealer is a greedy dolt? I knew we can.

They don't all fail. Actually the majority of them don't fail. Changing the transfer case oil is a trivial job - but bet the dealer didn't have the oil in stock so he came up with that bogus reply to discourage you from having it done.

See if you can find a good Porsche independent in your area. They shouldn't charge more than 30 minutes labor - and the Ravenol oil is cheap, and appears to be quite compatible with our transfer cases.
It's in warranty (and will be for quite a while), so it's not like it really matters that much to me at the present. Sure, there's certainly a degree of 'task avoidance' or finagling for factory warranty claims, but it's really not a big issue for me at this point. If anything, neglecting it would hasten the warranty replacement.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Let me fix that:

If anything, neglecting it would hasten the unnecessary warranty replacement.

The dealer is likely happy - he makes more from Porsche replacing the transfer case under warranty than he will from you preventively changing the oil.

Thing is - they don't ALL fail - and at some point your warranty will expire - and if it then fails (there seem to be two peaks in the failure - early and late. Early is around 20k miles, late is > 60k miles - ie - out of warranty) the cost is on you.

If the dealer told me this, I'd ask for it in writing.

Of course if like some people you (wisely) won't own a German car out of warranty - then it's a non-issue except the time involved if it does fail.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:01 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Let me fix that:

If anything, neglecting it would hasten the unnecessary warranty replacement.

The dealer is likely happy - he makes more from Porsche replacing the transfer case under warranty than he will from you preventively changing the oil.

Thing is - they don't ALL fail - and at some point your warranty will expire - and if it then fails (there seem to be two peaks in the failure - early and late. Early is around 20k miles, late is > 60k miles - ie - out of warranty) the cost is on you.

If the dealer told me this, I'd ask for it in writing.

Of course if like some people you (wisely) won't own a German car out of warranty - then it's a non-issue except the time involved if it does fail.
Agreed. I'd rather have an improved design, which seems the only 'free' way to obtain such is to have the existing one fail.

Otherwise I can spend an extra amount of money (albeit less at an independent or DIY than a dealer) to reduce the likelihood of problems. Assuming, of course, that service done for an outside of scheduled maintenance doesn't otherwise negatively affect the warranty status. As in, the independent (or DIY) gets it wrong "somehow". Then I'd be in a pissing match on who to blame for any resulting transfer case problem.

While I don't drive an excessive amount of miles, I do give it a pretty 'spirited' workout on a regular basis. Leading me to believe I'll likely have the transfer case situation develop while still in warranty. I did spring for the extended program, along with pre-paid service. So my financial surprises are 'less likely' for at least a little longer.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:34 AM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2016 Cayenne S eHybrid and wanted to check if the fluid was affected by moisture. I drained the fluid at 19Kmi and was surprised at how dirty it looked. Luckily blackstone confirmed there wasn't any water contamination, and values are similar to r553's from his CD.

What would be useful is if someone who has the TC issue and has been granted a replacement under warranty to test the fluid so we can get some data that would confirm/deny that water contamination really is the issue that's causing the premature failures. It would help validate that the diesels and hybrids really aren't affected.

New Ravenol TF-0870 on the left, used OEM fluid on the right after 19Kmi

Old 10-14-2017, 06:58 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Turns out mine has the older style transfer case (build in Fall 2017)
Bill, don't you mean Fall 2016? We're just now into Fall of 2017 and I know you've had your GTS a little while.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:55 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Bill, don't you mean Fall 2016? We're just now into Fall of 2017 and I know you've had your GTS a little while.
Ah yes, correct. A 2017 model built in the Fall of 2016. Good catch.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:45 AM
Cords
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cords
Thanks for that!
The repair is at no charge as the car is still under warranty. Yes I would love to change the TC oil , but am afraid of voiding the warranty. Here in Cape Town, the car also comes with a 5 year 100 000 km service plan which covers everything except tires! As far as the torque split, you are correct...only the V6 diesel and the Hybrid have the 48/52 fixed torque split ( older system). I am told the V8 diesel has the "infinitely variable" newer system as per the rest of the fleet.Also has the 8 speed auto gearbox.
I gathers from reading this thread that you dont get the V8 diesel in USA. Pity, it has to be the pick of the bunch! 385 Hp, 626 Ft lbs torque, 0-62mph in 5.4 sec! On top of great gas mileage ( 30+ Mpg)...ticks all the boxes!
It may have something to do with the quality of Diesel available in the USA....Sulphur need 50 ppm or lower.

The new TC is on order (Vin specific) from Germany and hope to have it fitted End of September.

Once the Tc is changed I will report back.
Thanks!
TC replaced last week. All good. Car feels like new again!!
Thanks for all the advice.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:16 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TC replaced

Haven't been on for awhile. My 2015 Cayenne S with PDCC,PTV and Air Susp started to have studdering this spring. In April I took it in. Service Tech went less than a block with me driving and said it needed a new TC.
21000 miles. Replaced under Warranty.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:25 PM
amablemiguel
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to everyone, well i had a TC replacement recently by my porsche Center a while ago. I was told is the new revised unit i now have installed, i don't know if they applied the Vent line upgrade or not since i thought that would fix my problem which is sad to say it didn't. My problem is a slight kick/thump i get when Downshifting and only happens from 3rd to 2nd. I also noticed a rare behavior on Upshifts (2nd to 3rd) when accelerating, not on hard acceleration. The behavior is weird, it shifts and the rev goes to around 2900 to 3000 falls and goes up again, this when on 3rd gear. Is constant with a faint stutter which can be felt and seen on the needle as it rises. Other gears are smooth. I'm told in the Porsche Center that it's still TC related and don't know why the problem still persists after the unit replacement. The old unit sure was needing a replacement. Any suggestions from anyone that fixed the TC problems?
Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

So my CD has developed this weird stumble/hesitation when cruising. Most common at ~36-37mph, constant speed, light pedal. Originally I thought it was more a 1400rpm thing. Feels like a misfire. Nothing HARSH, no noise, just a sputter/stumble.

I mentioned it to the SA when I had it in for service. He said, "Transfer case. The magic word you said was, 'feels like a misfire.'" I found that odd given, so far, the consensus seems to be the CD's aren't affected by the TC issues.

They spent the day with it though - and said there were no issues found, and "We'll have to wait for it to get worse."

After he said it was the TC, I've been experimenting... and did notice that I can click the paddles and downshift a gear or two... and the feel is still there. Strange... so definitely not engine RPM related.

I'll be following this thread to see if any CD's pop up as having theirs replaced. I'm also gonna stay on my SA about mine. Still under warranty and I want it well documented.

Quick Reply: Transfer case