Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 AM
RomSL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, can this be a transfer case?

I just recently piked up a post-fix 2015 CD with 16K miles for 47K (MSRP 77K). After driving it for awhile I noted quite jerky shifting pattern under moderate or fast acceleration between 1-2 and 2-3 gears. The rest of gears shift flawlessly. It doesn't matter if the car is cold or fully warmed up. I scheduled an appointment with a Porsche dealer, but before you I go there I wanted to check with you if that's an unusual behavior. We also have 2015 X5 35D with ZF transmission and it shift flawlessly under any circumstances. I expected the same for CD and wasn't even thinking something can be wrong on a 16K mile car.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:11 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by RomSL
Guys, can this be a transfer case?

I just recently piked up a post-fix 2015 CD with 16K miles for 47K (MSRP 77K). After driving it for awhile I noted quite jerky shifting pattern under moderate or fast acceleration between 1-2 and 2-3 gears. The rest of gears shift flawlessly. It doesn't matter if the car is cold or fully warmed up. I scheduled an appointment with a Porsche dealer, but before you I go there I wanted to check with you if that's an unusual behavior. We also have 2015 X5 35D with ZF transmission and it shift flawlessly under any circumstances. I expected the same for CD and wasn't even thinking something can be wrong on a 16K mile car.
If it is - it will be the first confirmed diesel transfer case failure. I suppose it could be - and might not be related to the failures seen on the gasoline models (which use a different case..)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:07 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
If it is - it will be the first confirmed diesel transfer case failure. I suppose it could be - and might not be related to the failures seen on the gasoline models (which use a different case..)
No. There have been confirmed CD transfer case failures before - even reported in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15039192
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4709163
Old 06-20-2018, 11:30 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Elberoth
No. There have been confirmed CD transfer case failures before - even reported in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15039192
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4709163
There have been a few - but it's not clear if the symptoms/cause is the same as the numerous failures on gas powered cars. One was reported (here?) where the dealer replaced the case with a new one and the same symptoms remained - meaning it wasn't the case.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:06 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Did the diesel transfer case replacement include the vent kit?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:03 AM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by r553
Did the diesel transfer case replacement include the vent kit?
I have a 2014 CD and in my TC paperwork from Nov 2017 there is no indication of a vent kit.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:22 AM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PDubya958
I have a 2014 CD and in my TC paperwork from Nov 2017 there is no indication of a vent kit.
Here is a copy of my 2014 CD invoice, the part installed now is 958-341-020-CX. I looked up the part and it replaces 958-341-020-AX and 958-341-020-BX. Nothing about a vent kit.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:48 PM
Thino
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2012 Cayenne Turbo also has the issue, 5 months ago the CPO expired. However, my dealer is fixing it without charge. Good to see Porsche takes their responsibility.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:41 AM
spirit49
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got an email from Andrew at AWD.tech

More transfer case parts has arrived and will be available for shipping soon.

We have also discussed what kind of programming of the control unit is needed after the rebuild.(as discussed above)

Here is his reply:
It's just reset procedure. The ECU should measure all values by itself, but it's able to do this correct only after its memory will be cleared due firmware update.
So the way I understand this is that we only need to have the Transfer Case control unit reset. I presume this is the same as has been earlier discussed to start a new learning process if it has been behaving bad
I guess this is one of the features of the IcarScan?!
Old 06-27-2018, 04:45 PM
aquatiger
1st Gear

I have a 2016 Cayenne S with 40,000 miles. I started feeling what I can only describe as little 'clicks' or bumps in the pedal in 2nd gear around 1-2k RPM, every single time from a stop. I called the dealer and she immediately said "sounds like the transfer case" and she put me in for service.

Then I did a search and thanks to rennlist found this thread. They were very up front when I scheduled service, she literally said based on my description she was going to order the part and then let me know later today when it will be there so I dont have the car in their shop for too long. I will continue reading this thread to make sure I ask them to check any other issues you guys have brought up.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spirit49
Just got an email from Andrew at AWD.tech

More transfer case parts has arrived and will be available for shipping soon.

We have also discussed what kind of programming of the control unit is needed after the rebuild.(as discussed above)

Here is his reply:

So the way I understand this is that we only need to have the Transfer Case control unit reset. I presume this is the same as has been earlier discussed to start a new learning process if it has been behaving bad
I guess this is one of the features of the IcarScan?!
I hope so! Any Icarscan guys confirm? That would be awesome. I've been holding out on repair and I hate it. About ready to disconnect the battery again. Made a huge difference the first time I did it.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by edde
I hope so! Any Icarscan guys confirm? That would be awesome. I've been holding out on repair and I hate it. About ready to disconnect the battery again. Made a huge difference the first time I did it.
I haven't tried to reset it since I'm not switching my transfer case - and who knows what gremlins might be woken up if I did. I'm surprised the battery did anything at all - all modern vehicles from the past 10-15 years have used NVRAM to hold the learned settings. Disconnecting the battery should have no effect on it.. but who knows?...
Old 06-27-2018, 11:32 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I haven't tried to reset it since I'm not switching my transfer case - and who knows what gremlins might be woken up if I did. I'm surprised the battery did anything at all - all modern vehicles from the past 10-15 years have used NVRAM to hold the learned settings. Disconnecting the battery should have no effect on it.. but who knows?...
When I swapped batteries cold I maintained all my presets but my transfer case symptoms disappeared for a while. Made me consider whether it is more a software problem than hardware.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:03 PM
spirit49
Track Day

I haven't tried to reset it since I'm not switching my transfer case - and who knows what gremlins might be woken up if I did.

The local Porsche dealership will remove the Transfer case for me at the same time they do a "European AH-08". I will rebuild it while its up on the lift. I got a 2 day window.

I asked about the reset when reinstalling the TC and he said its a simple reset from the DME. He said, every time oil is changed, a reset should be done. The car will then recalibrate itself for the "new" TC.

So obviously it doesnt matter of it is new friction plates or oil in the TC. You have to give it a hint to re-learn.
Maybe we should add this to our TC flushing procedure!?
Old 07-01-2018, 07:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by spirit49
The local Porsche dealership will remove the Transfer case for me at the same time they do a "European AH-08". I will rebuild it while its up on the lift. I got a 2 day window.

I asked about the reset when reinstalling the TC and he said its a simple reset from the DME. He said, every time oil is changed, a reset should be done. The car will then recalibrate itself for the "new" TC.

So obviously it doesnt matter of it is new friction plates or oil in the TC. You have to give it a hint to re-learn.
Maybe we should add this to our TC flushing procedure!?
The reset for an oil change is easily done with an iCarScan - I've done it both times I changed my oil. Dunno if Durametric can do it, certainly PIWIS can. We can add it to the DIY.. assuming the owner has one of those tools or access to somewhere that does.

Quick Reply: Transfer case