Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 02:21 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by r553
I had my 2015 CD in for replacement of the diesel particulate filter. While it was in there I asked them to reset the V40 gear oil wear indicator since I had just changed the fluid. Astonishingly PIWIS software can no longer rest V40. The tech working on my car made a few calls and was told they changed the PIWIS software to prevent the clearing of this variable. He suspects it has to do with the mountain of failed TCs Porsche is experiencing. You can't make this stuff up.
Does a 958 Diesel model even have an All-wheel drive control unit or a "V40 wear integrator" value in the first place!?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:07 AM
spirit49
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

​​​​​​What is holding me back is the software update part ... Im trying to track info about that, this might be critical part, Piwis can read write memory, it can process update as well as writing custom values.

So without solid information I can't proceed

I just looked into the programming of Transfer Cases in the AllDATA manuals.
It seems whenever the control unit or Transfer Case is replaced, the data must be rewritten by PIWIS

The attached document talks about "Offset and gradient values on the transfer case". These are stamped onto a new transfer case.

My question is if these values really changes when you just replace the clutch parts of the Transfer Case?

With the information on parts and rebuild, Im ready to get going on my own Case. But I would really like to know what can be the result if no program is done after completion?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:17 AM
spirit49
Track Day

Default PIWIS programming

What is holding me back is the software update part ... Im trying to track info about that, this might be critical part, Piwis can read write memory, it can process update as well as writing custom values.

So without solid information I can't proceed

Here is from the AllDATA manual

Cayenne

(92A) 3

66/11ENU 3913

Aug 16, 2013

The present document was valid at the time of print. A later version may be available online

Spare Parts Requirements for Transfer Case/All-wheel Drive Control unit: Missing Offset and Gradient Values on the Transfer Case

(66/11)

Model year: as of 2011 up to 2012

Revision: This bulletin replaces bulletin Group 3, # 66/11, dated March 30, 2012.

Vehicle Type: Cayenne (92A)/Cayenne S (92A)/Cayenne Turbo (92A)

Concerns: Transfer case

Information: Missing offset and gradient values on the transfer case

When you replace the all-wheel drive control unit or the transfer case (with the all-wheel drive control unit), the offset and gradient

values (referred to below as classification data) must be written into the new all-wheel drive control unit.

The absence of classification data in the all-wheel drive control unit will result in poor vehicle driveability.

Since the classification data always relates to and is matched to the transfer gear, it is engraved on the transfer case; => Figure 1

shows 15 as the gradient value and 05 as the offset value.

Due to a production error, only "0" might be engraved instead of the correct classification data, => Figure 2.

If this is the case, the correct classification data must be read out of the all-wheel drive control unit or may have to be queried from

the Technical HOTLINE.

Woorrkk PPrroocceedduurree::

The procedure will be different, depending on the spare parts requirements:

^Control unit replacement - data from the old all-wheel drive control unit can be read out.

^Control unit replacement - data from the old all-wheel drive control unit can no longer be read out.

Information

The procedures described here are based on the PIWIS Tester II software version 12.300.

The PIWIS Tester instructions take precedence and in the event of a discrepancy, these are the instructions that must be followed.

A discrepancy may arise with later software versions for example.

Control unit replacement - data from the old control unit can be read out:

1. Connect PIWIS Tester II with installed test software version 12.300 (or higher) to the vehicle and switch it on.

2. Select the 'All-wheel' control unit in the control unit selection screen (=> Overview' menu).

3. Once the all-wheel drive control unit has been found and is displayed in the list, select the => Maintenance/repairs' menu.

4. Select => "Control unit replacement" and press [>>] to start the process.

4.1Confirm the message relating to control unit replacement by pressing [>>].

4.2Select => "Read out data from old control unit" and press [>>] to continue.

4.3Confirm the message reporting that data was read out successfully by pressing [>>].

5. Replace all-wheel drive control unit.

6 Select the 'All-wheel' control unit in the control unit selection screen ([>>] Overview' menu).

7. Once the all-wheel drive control unit has been found and is displayed in the list, select the => 'Maintenance/repairs' menu.

8. Select => 'Control unit replacement' and press [>>] to start the process.

8.1 Confirm the message about the control unit by pressing [>>].

8.2 Select => 'Write data to new control unit/Start-up' and press [>>] to continue.

8.3 Enter the chassis number and press [>>] to confirm.

8.4 Transfer data from the old all-wheel drive control unit by pressing [F8]. Then press [>>] when the data has been

transferred successfully.

8.5 Reset coding data.

8.5.1Switch off ignition and press [>>] to confirm.

8.5.2Start the engine and press [>>] to continue.

Forced calibration is performed automatically and fault memory is read out.

8.6 Press [>>] to confirm successful control unit replacement.

The required action is now complete.

Control unit replacement - data from the old control unit can no longer be read out:

1. Check whether the classification data is engraved correctly on the installed transfer gear.

Is the classification data engraved correctly on the transfer gear?

If it is: => Step 2.

If not: => Please contact the Technical HOTLINE to find out what to do next.

2.Write down the classification data.

3. Connect PIWIS Tester II with installed software version 12.300 (or higher) to the vehicle and switch it on.

4. Select the 'All-wheel' control unit in the control unit selection screen (=> 'Overview' menu).

5. Once the all-wheel drive control unit has been found and is displayed in the list, select the => 'Maintenance/repairs' menu.

6. Select => 'Control unit replacement and press [>>] to start the process.

6.1Confirm the message relating to control unit replacement by pressing [>>].

6.2Confirm the function => 'Write data to new control unit/Start-up' by pressing [>>].

6.3Enter the chassis number and press [>>] to continue.

6.4Confirm the message by pressing [>>].

6.5Calculate new wear data:

Enter 'Kilometres driven since all-wheel transmission oil was last changed' (press [F8] to enable write mode) and press [>>]

to continue.

6.6Enter classification data (press [F8] to enable write mode) and press [>>] to continue.

6.7Press [>>] to confirm the message reporting successful control unit replacement.

The required action is now complete.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:25 AM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The diesel and hybrid use a different case, and so far - I have seen no mention of a failure of those cases. They use 50/50 torque distribution, unlike the gas engine 32/68. If anyone can point me to a failure I'm all ears.

And besides Mercedes, BMW has problems with their transfer-cases. Generally chain stretch apparently, causing horrible klunking noises.
I

I just joined here after reading post for the last few years. I have a 2014 CD and had the transfer case replaced under warranty in Nov 2017. So it still happens to the diesels!!!
Old 05-28-2018, 11:28 AM
PDubya958
Advanced

Originally Posted by PDubya958
I

I just joined here after reading post for the last few years. I have a 2014 CD and had the transfer case replaced under warranty in Nov 2017. So it still happens to the diesels!!!
Also I only had 33,173 miles on it!
Old 05-28-2018, 12:08 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by PDubya958
For what reason was it replaced?
Old 05-28-2018, 02:56 PM
PDubya958
Advanced

Originally Posted by garrett376
For what reason was it replaced?
I noticed slight lurching when shifting from 2nd and 3rd. Took it in for the vw emissions fix and they noticed it during the test drive. They said it was the transfer case and they had seen it before on the Cayenne. When i got it back, the issue was gone, haven't noticed it since.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:44 PM
Kiwiinchicago
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwiinchicago
All. I have a 2012 S - first TC was replaced under warranty at 30k 10/2015. This weekend I noticed again the TC has gone at 56k. Not very happy! Guessing no warranty even though Porsche NA must know this is a major issue. I have not read all of the thread on this topic, but guessing I cannot drive indefinitely on this, or keep replacing the oil to prolong?
UPDATE: So just got car back with new TC replacement. Porsche NA and my dealer came to the party and my out of pocket was $650.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

I just had the transfer case replaced in my '17 GTS, at 15,500 miles.

The symptom was a slight slipping/lurching during light acceleration. It was subtle, there was a slight slip/catch sort of feeling, most noticeable during stop-and-go traffic. This happened while in a gear, not during gear changes. From stop... 1st... 2nd... slip/catch... slip/catch... 3rd.. slip/catch... and then normal drivetrain behavior. No detectable change in engine RPM while it happened. I could not detect anything while turning, like in a parking lot. It was all straight-line driving when it happened.

It started maybe 500 miles before and was only noticeable in traffic. But a few days ago it happened at speed, around 65mph when giving it a little gas to change lanes (not 'hammer down' acceleration). This was new, but it was the same slip/catch sort of feeling. It was now totally repeatable, both a slow stop-and-go speed and light acceleration at speed.

A while back I had a more sudden sort of slip/thump behavior, twice, I think. Both times in a parking lot after a stop, turn, slight acceleration then slip/thump. That time it was much more harsh, not the subtle feeling it had recently. It was while in a gear, not during changes but may have been accompanied by an RPM change. It was not repeatable so it's hard to say for certain. The dealer inspected the vehicle and noted my transfer case was the previous design and mentioned it was now being replaced (the longer vent tube). It was basically 'wait until it fails'... which it did some 5000+ miles later.

We're about to go on a trip from MD to NC and I didn't want to chance having it get worse/fail during the journey. Porsche Bethesda swapped in a new transfer case, in warranty. When I asked they said they return the transfer cases whole to Porsche. They're not doing any repairs inside the transfer cases at the dealer. So I don't know if it was chain stretch, oil contamination or clutch failure. Nor did I remember to have them save a sample of the oil for testing, unfortunately.

For two days I had to drive my wife's Mini Cooper. While the S convertible is peppy, the ride was nowhere near as comfortable as my GTS. Glad to have it back. I could have waited and gotten a loaner Porsche but their next open appointment was for a week after our trip.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:48 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 659 Posts

Interesting to hear so many variations on what we have all "felt" & experienced,... ultimately ending up in a Tx case replacement. Mine was a whole different experienced (described here previously by me),.. but clearly they are all symptoms.

BillyK, when did you get it back, and how many miles / test-drives have you put it through since? All good now? ... Btw, looking forward to you & I hitting the AutoX again this season. I've been very busy & missed the first 2. And last weekend we did a West VA Tour with PCACHS. 3 days of twisties on their Mtn roads with 2 nights stay at Stonewall resort. Fantastic weekend. We left the 964T at home (given the Ozarks Parade is only 1 month away), and took the CTT, since the forecast was for crappy-rain all weekend. We got about 50% / 50%, so it was a fun weekend. One of the upper Mtn passes had a washout just hours before we got there. Had to drive through a river of water & rock debris. Exhilarating to say the least. SO much fun.

=Steve
Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

Not many miles yet. Just back from the dealership and a few errands. But I definitely knew how to repeat the problem and it's gone now. I'll have some highway time in the next two days to further confirm the problem has been eliminated.

We bought a new boat and that's kept me occupied on the weekends. AutoX is a blast in the GTS.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:55 AM
brandlj
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2014 Cayenne S 77,000 miles

My CPO 2014 Cayenne S had some strange issues. The 3-4-5 upshift on light acceleration had a stutter or shudder. At times in the parking garage I would back out of my space and put it in drive, and as I accelerated it would make 2 or 3 loud clunks and it felt like I had driven over a speed bump or over a rumble strip. I also noted downshifts were beginning to make clunking sounds that I felt under the middle of the vehicle. I called my dealer and they told me over the phone that it sounded like a bad transfer case. I scheduled an appointment and they provided me with a 2018 Panamera to drive. In the receipt from the dealer it stated that they test drove vehicle and it did not accelerate smoothly, they unplugged the electrical connector on the transfer case and re-tested it and it accelerated smoothly. 5 working days later I have my Cayenne back with the re-designed transfer case with the new venting system. The service manager told me it had a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. He stated that there were no recalls on this transfer case, but they have replaced over 100 of them already. He told me that the vent in the old case allowed moisture in and caused problems and this should take care of the issue. It drives great and all appears to be well. My dealer is Porsche of Jackson. James and Ryan are fantastic, and the service technicians are just awesome. No charge for this repair.

Last edited by brandlj; 06-15-2018 at 12:09 PM. Reason: wrong year typo
Old 06-16-2018, 08:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Brandlj....sounds like a very familiar story for many of us. Best of luck with it, should be fine.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:11 PM
cmargosi
Advanced

Default 2012 Cayenne (Base) 51,000 Miles

Took my car to the dealer this morning due to the symptoms mentioned in this thread. He immediately said "transfer case", which made me think, "I should search this". After reading this thread, its becoming evident this is systemic and a design problem. Waiting to hear from the dealer about what Porsche is willing to do. He said, "I'll charge you something so you get the 2 year warranty".

What has Porsche done for others? Seems like it's all over the board.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:12 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

This happen to my 2016 CTT a few weeks ago. When I first felt it, I came to the forum. When I called the dealership and told them what I had read, they would just order a new transfer case since they had replaced several of them. I was told Porsche doesn't fix anything now, they just replace it. Based on what I read here, it seems to be happening to the the Cayennes earlier (lower miles), my service advisor agreed. . Let's hope the transfer case has a new design or has been changed in some way to help its longevity since my service advisor told the vent is not fixing the problem

Quick Reply: Transfer case