Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 02:41 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirill
Can anyone who had transfer case replacement at dealer please post pictures of paperwork, curious if there is a new part number for the transfer case.
Here you are.

Last edited by jford; 11-19-2017 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NZPorscheDIY (06-10-2023)
Old 11-19-2017, 03:52 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Don,

Wanted to add to your database:

2011 Cayenne S. Factory transfer case swapped out on 1/19/17 by the dealer as a warranty. Mileage 70,994. replacement part 958-341-010-HX. Assume Porsche Spec'd fluid pre-filled at the rebuilder. No vent line installed as it was prior to implementation or deployment
Old 11-19-2017, 03:52 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think in Porsche world last two spaces in part number is for revision:

So looks like:
958-341-011-EX is for CT
another part numbers used is:
958-341-011-GX (i believe it's for V6)
958-341-010-HX (for V8)
Both parts are about 2500 and called "TRANSFER BOX READY F"

It looks like E or G suffix is meant to differentiate application
and X could be part revision.

there also
https://www.gossettparts.com/oem-par...-f-958341011gu
958-341-011-EU and 958-341-011-GU parts exist that are about 760$ and also called "TRANSFER BOX READY F" - so maybe dealers are running a clearance sale on flawed design TC
Old 11-19-2017, 06:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I think in Porsche world last two spaces in part number is for revision:

So looks like:
958-341-011-EX is for CT
another part numbers used is:
958-341-011-GX (i believe it's for V6)
958-341-010-HX (for V8)
Both parts are about 2500 and called "TRANSFER BOX READY F"

It looks like E or G suffix is meant to differentiate application
and X could be part revision.

there also
https://www.gossettparts.com/oem-par...-f-958341011gu
958-341-011-EU and 958-341-011-GU parts exist that are about 760$ and also called "TRANSFER BOX READY F" - so maybe dealers are running a clearance sale on flawed design TC
Not so sure about the ones ending with letters..

https://parts.porscheofannapolis.com...-f-958341011gu - has it for $560, but if you look at: http://sgnauto.com/products/cars/oem/porsche/page/245 - it gets more confusing. We need someone with PET up and running (Porsche Parts App..) to lookup the parts and id them on a diagram/layout parts drawing. The list price for them is only around $650-800. To me that's not a transfer case. I believe one seal and 1 bearing are available parts (only available) for the TC - wonder if that's what these are.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add me to the list of successful transfer case oil change.
2014 Diesel S with just under 50 000 km. I live in a place with lot of rain and snow.
Symptom was a slight vibration, like driving on something small on normal acceleration in low gears. 2nd/3rd.
I picked it up rather early I think. My wife thought the car was perfectly normal but I knew better ;-)

Oil came out black as everyone else. Didn't smell burnt, rather like someone threw up.. yuck.
Improvement was immediate. No need for a 2nd oil change. When it's done you really notice it was not shifting smoothly.

If you don't DIY this, make sure the dealer has some transfer case oil in stock before driving there. They don't stock it, it's supposed to be a life long oil. They stock transfer cases instead

A big thank you for publishing all the info on this issue
Old 11-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Kirill
Racer

If you under warranty - I think it's worth going to dealer and complaining of bad transfer case symptoms. You will either get a new one or it will be on the record that you had this issue while the warranty was still on.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Did my second transfer case oil change today while it was up on the lift getting the engine oil changed. The old oil coming out of it had about 6,000 miles on it - and didn't look awful, could still see through it although it was dark in color. Went with the Ravenol this time. The difference was again noticeable - I can't feel a gear change driving normally in "normal" mode - didn't try sport mode yet. Gotta order some new drain/fill plugs for it for the next change... the originals are still sealing, but the sealant on them is getting a bit thin. Tightened to 12ft/lb (spec is 13..) and no leaks. The Ravenol bottle makes a big difference in ease of refilling the case - smart design that works. Oh - noticed the symbol for what I think is Aisin-Warner. on the case.. a stylized A combined with a W. That would make sense since the transmission is an Aisin Warner.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Did my second transfer case oil change today while it was up on the lift getting the engine oil changed. The old oil coming out of it had about 6,000 miles on it - and didn't look awful, could still see through it although it was dark in color. Went with the Ravenol this time. The difference was again noticeable.
Something is not right if you can feel a difference after 6000 miles on lifetime fluid.
Can you get oil analysis next time you change the transfer case oil - https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 11-21-2017, 06:38 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts

Did my second transfer case oil change today while it was up on the lift getting the engine oil changed. The old oil coming out of it had about 6,000 miles on it - and didn't look awful, could still see through it although it was dark in color. Went with the Ravenol this time. The difference was again noticeable - I can't feel a gear change driving normally in "normal" mode - didn't try sport mode yet. Gotta order some new drain/fill plugs for it for the next change... the originals are still sealing, but the sealant on them is getting a bit thin. Tightened to 12ft/lb (spec is 13..) and no leaks. The Ravenol bottle makes a big difference in ease of refilling the case - smart design that works. Oh - noticed the symbol for what I think is Aisin-Warner. on the case.. a stylized A combined with a W. That would make sense since the transmission is an Aisin Warner.
Don, I thought you had said the spec. was 15ft.lbs. I torqued mine to 13 just to be safe. A little trick I learned from my best friend whe happens to be a retired Porsche trained tech through to the mid 90’s. Firstly he cleaned and then put some new sealer on the drain plug. When torquing the plug he set it at 11lbs. And then softly clicked the plug, Then set it to 12lbs., softly clicked again, then set it at 13lbs. and clicked again. He sort of snuck up on it to avoid any chance of overtorqueing or cracking the casing. Not a bad idea for us DIY’ers.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
Don, I thought you had said the spec. was 15ft.lbs. I torqued mine to 13 just to be safe. A little trick I learned from my best friend whe happens to be a retired Porsche trained tech through to the mid 90’s. Firstly he cleaned and then put some new sealer on the drain plug. When torquing the plug he set it at 11lbs. And then softly clicked the plug, Then set it to 12lbs., softly clicked again, then set it at 13lbs. and clicked again. He sort of snuck up on it to avoid any chance of overtorqueing or cracking the casing. Not a bad idea for us DIY’ers.
You're right.. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14600649 - 13ft/lbs will work just fine (as will 12..)

Old 11-21-2017, 08:08 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Something is not right if you can feel a difference after 6000 miles on lifetime fluid.
Can you get oil analysis next time you change the transfer case oil - https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
I would expect next time there might not be a difference. There are two possible causes for feeling a difference:

1. I used a different oil. The first change I did with the Porsche transfer-case fluid. It was a bit of a PITA to get and expensive. This time I used Ravenol, as easy as going on Amazon and ordering, and it's on my doorstep 2 days later. It's possible Ravenol has a different coefficient of friction than the factory oil - which could account for the slightly smoother feel.

2. The last change was after the original oil, with 71,000 miles on it was drained. There had to be some of the old oil trapped in the clutch pack (as evidenced by the color of the oil when it was drained) - some of that contamination may have caused a very slight roughness.

There were a number of people (on the 6speedonline thread - which is way more extensive than this thread) who reported the same thing, First change was better, second change was better yet again - and they did those changes rather close in miles - around 1,000 miles or so.

I had a Brookstone bottle with me - intending to capture some engine oil - but by the time the oil was done flowing was when I remembered I had it. Brookstone has tested a number of samples of the oil from other people, and drew no conclusions from their analysis. I think since they haven't done a "virgin" sample of the transfer-case oils we're using - they have nothing to compare the used samples with, except other used samples from other people. That makes the test relatively useless. I could talk to them about doing a virgin sample - but the Porsche stuff is $$ (and has changed formulation since most of our cases were initially filled), and even Ravenol is $32. If someone wants to fund the experiment, I've always found Blackstone quite cooperative.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:22 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

...Gotta order some new drain/fill plugs for it for the next change...
I'm assuming you're talking about one of the 'spigot' kinds of plugs? Like the EZ Oil drain taps?

Is the thread size known for the transfer case? And is it a straight thread or does it taper?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I'm assuming you're talking about one of the 'spigot' kinds of plugs? Like the EZ Oil drain taps?

Is the thread size known for the transfer case? And is it a straight thread or does it taper?
No - but that wouldn't be a bad idea.. and a nipple fitting of some type for the fill plug. Dunno what the plug size is - I believe it has a very slight taper to it.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:00 PM
wakame
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from the dealer, tc is shot. They ordered parts, but I won’t have time to get it fixed. 16 base with 31k miles.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 PM
nba1008
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it normal for transfer case to go bad at 15000 miles? Under acceleration I hear this thumping noise until 3rd gear, it’s a 2016 cayenne s model?

Quick Reply: Transfer case