Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:18 PM
fivefathomapple
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my CS into the dealership because all of my symptoms are exactly what everyone on here is describing. I bought my Cayenne with a CPO warranty. Told the service advisor my issues over the phone and he immediately said that sound like TC issues so I took my car to the dealership. After the tech took the car for a ride, the service advisor told me they couldn't find any issues and it was fine. My warranty runs out in a month. It is my word against the service tech? I know I have TC issues. What can I do if the dealership wont help me???
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by fivefathomapple
I took my CS into the dealership because all of my symptoms are exactly what everyone on here is describing. I bought my Cayenne with a CPO warranty. Told the service advisor my issues over the phone and he immediately said that sound like TC issues so I took my car to the dealership. After the tech took the car for a ride, the service advisor told me they couldn't find any issues and it was fine. My warranty runs out in a month. It is my word against the service tech? I know I have TC issues. What can I do if the dealership wont help me???
First thought would be 'check with another dealer?'
Old 10-22-2017, 11:34 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Ugh. I may be back in the game here. 2012 CTT.

TC replaced back in April '17 when I had 45k miles.

Last month I start feeling the back end do the "posi-traction bump" like my old 69 Chevelle used to do,.... only when slowly backing up, turning, and then moving forward again slowly.

Given that I have a brand new TC,... I start thinking differentials. So I change both Diff fluids. Weird that it actually got worse.

Called my SA, and he says,... "still sounds like your TC. Bring it in & we'll test it out for ya, no cost". These guys have been great to me for sure. They were able to get me "Good Will" back in April, since I was out of warranty.

Now I'm like What-the-H. Anyway,... I'll report back when I know more.
=Steve
well, I went ahead and changed my differential fluids and what was weird, was that at first, it actually made the weird grinding noise worse.
But then within a week it was all gone. It gradually went away (during that first week) & now I have not felt it in ~ 4 weeks.

Just thought I would report back as I had promised.

So I guess the new Transfer Case I received back in April is still going fine.

=Steve
Old 10-23-2017, 03:15 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by fivefathomapple
Take it in again, get a ticket that states they looked for symptoms of transfer case problems before warranty runs out. If it fails in next couple of months, you can show ticket and claim you reported before warranty expired. Then you have a case to recover cost under your warranty.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Loud223
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the TC replaced on my 15 CS at 32000 miles. It went earlier( around 27000 miles) but I couldn't duplicate the problem at the dealer. I was considering buying at the end of the lease so I brought it back again and they felt the problem on a test drive and replaced it right then. It took abought 2 hours. The drive feels so much better and the residual seems low compared to the price of a similar car and the fact that the info in this thread indicates no problems after the TC is changed means I'm buying at the end of the lease.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

All:

Just stumbling across this thread, and wondering if this issue may be one that's presenting two symptoms on my 2014 Cayenne Diesel.

Symptom 1: "slip" shifting into third. When the transmission shifts from second to third, it's very evident that there is some kind of slip going on. The revs build, speed builds, but it's not linear. Then something "locks", the revs drop, and speed continues building. This is all with the indicator still reading 3rd. This happens every time the vehicle shifts into third.

Symptom 2: When slowing and then re-accelerating, the vehicle "clunks" abormally when downshifting. This happens at times when downshifting to first, but also when slowing and just going to second. This does not happen all the time.

There are a lot of pages here and most of what I see symptom wise is referred to as a "misfire" or a "binding". Sorry for missing earlier threads on this but what are your thoughts? How can the dealer know for sure when diagnosing? Car is in for service now, would like to get it remedied.

Car has 60k miles.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:35 PM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
All:

Just stumbling across this thread, and wondering if this issue may be one that's presenting two symptoms on my 2014 Cayenne Diesel.

Symptom 1: "slip" shifting into third. When the transmission shifts from second to third, it's very evident that there is some kind of slip going on. The revs build, speed builds, but it's not linear. Then something "locks", the revs drop, and speed continues building. This is all with the indicator still reading 3rd. This happens every time the vehicle shifts into third.

Symptom 2: When slowing and then re-accelerating, the vehicle "clunks" abormally when downshifting. This happens at times when downshifting to first, but also when slowing and just going to second. This does not happen all the time.

There are a lot of pages here and most of what I see symptom wise is referred to as a "misfire" or a "binding". Sorry for missing earlier threads on this but what are your thoughts? How can the dealer know for sure when diagnosing? Car is in for service now, would like to get it remedied.

Car has 60k miles.

Thanks.
I think symptom #1 is normal. I had a 2012 Touareg TDI and now have a 15 Cayenne diesel. I think you are feeling the tourque converter lock up. As far as the other stuff, not sure.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Newegg
I think symptom #1 is normal. I had a 2012 Touareg TDI and now have a 15 Cayenne diesel. I think you are feeling the tourque converter lock up. As far as the other stuff, not sure.
That is what it seems like. I had a 2016 as a loaner in August 2015, and it was decidedly better. If it is just the torque converter locking, I hope the reprogramming makes it like the 2016. That car was much better.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:37 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 4,940 Likes on 1,911 Posts

The 2016 Cayenne Turbo S we have has slowly joined the ranks of the problematic differential crowd. The issue started at about 26k and now is not drivable with 30k on it.

1. When backing out of the garage (turning) it clunks and jerks.

2. When accelerating forward it jerks and judders irregularly.

Flat bedded it to dealer for the second time on Friday... Waiting for a diagnosis...

The first time I took it to the dealer they ignored the obvious problem and told us to get new tires, even though there was only a tiny difference in the wear between them. Replaced them.

The second visit to the dealer resulted in the service manager ignoring my wife request to look at the car (while he sat playing games on his computer).

This is the third visit to the dealer for the same obvious problem. Is anyone else loosing confidence in the Porsche dealer service network?
Old 11-06-2017, 02:36 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
This is the third visit to the dealer for the same obvious problem. Is anyone else loosing confidence in the Porsche dealer service network?
Good that it's still under warranty.. the dealer will replace the transfer case. It sounds like one of the "early" failure cases - probably due to a manufacturing defect in the clutch assembly inside the case.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
The 2016 Cayenne Turbo S we have has slowly joined the ranks of the problematic differential crowd. The issue started at about 26k and now is not drivable with 30k on it.

1. When backing out of the garage (turning) it clunks and jerks.

2. When accelerating forward it jerks and judders irregularly.

Flat bedded it to dealer for the second time on Friday... Waiting for a diagnosis...

The first time I took it to the dealer they ignored the obvious problem and told us to get new tires, even though there was only a tiny difference in the wear between them. Replaced them.

The second visit to the dealer resulted in the service manager ignoring my wife request to look at the car (while he sat playing games on his computer).

Sounds to me like you need a new dealer
Old 11-06-2017, 11:02 AM
wakame
Advanced

so my 16 V6 just started to show sign of hesitation when switching from 2 to 3rd. It was so bad that it jerk back and forth a few times. I'm trying to setup an appointment with the dealer for diagnostic.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:41 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Just curious, how many miles or Kms. on your 16 V6?
Old 11-06-2017, 01:02 PM
wakame
Advanced

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
Just curious, how many miles or Kms. on your 16 V6?
31k miles.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:32 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 474 Posts

Took my CTT (2013 with 59,000 miles) into dealer (Toms River, NJ Porsche) yesterday and had is diagnosed in about 5 minutes. Part will be here Thursday and fixed under CPO by Saturday.

For those looking for tell tales....

For me it was like I was driving over expansion joints when I accelerated from a standstill. The SA was a little young and I think the expansion joint thing threw him so I likened it to driving over a series of filled garden hoses.

At speed there were no issues.

Quick Reply: Transfer case