Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:01 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not something that keeps me up at night per. se., but certainly some of the things I think about being a Hybrid owner in a new era..

My list of concerns, purely on the ICE side, were these..

1. Start / Stop engine wear.
2. Short journey, or short engine running time wear.
3. Engine deposits, fuel age and so on.

I am less worried about Start / Stop wear understanding how Hybrid ICEs start vs traditional cars.
And for similar reasons a little less concerned about short journey wear on the ICE in a Hybrid.

But deposits.. on an engine that is prone to them (as you say).. I'd be interested in views. Not aware of any special stuff that Porsche do when servicing.. and I am almost certain our local Porsche dealer hasn't got a clue.

I guess I'll find out in 30 or 40,000 miles.. hehe
Old 04-06-2017, 01:07 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand this engine may have had some revisions done to address the carbon buildup issue, and I'm wondering more along the lines of whether Audi or Porsche has since done anything like adding extra port injectors to keep the intake runners and valves clean.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:13 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Now that the ehybrid has been out for a couple years, what kind of electric only range are people getting? I've had mine for 12.5Kmi and go through 1-2 full charge cycles on the battery each day, with overall fuel economy at 46mpg, which includes a couple of 800mi roundtrip roadtrips. In EV mode, I'm still getting between 14-17mi actual range, depending on whether I have the heater/AC on. I'm actually still quite impressed by this thing in terms of both EV and gas range. I reset the trip mileage counter every time i fill up, and on this roadtrip, I had driven 410mi with the ICE, with 160mi range remaining.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 AM
thescratt
Instructor

My daily commute is about 12 km each way. Predominantly downhill one way, and uphill on the way back. I can do that completely in electric (both ways on one charge) if I drive conservatively. But more often than not I use the ICE on the way back.

In the summer I get a maximum estimated range of between 16 and 22km. In the winter (-10 degrees C and below) I have seen as low as 8km with a full charge.
I think the winter range estimates are conservative, but I'd say you lose around 40% of your range overall, so 8km is really around 10 or 11 for me in winter.

I get anywhere between infinite, 127 mpg and 26 mpg, depending on the drive. Average is around 30 - 40 mpg.

This has been consistent for the year I have had it.

On average I can get around 700km with around town driving from a full tank of fuel. And on the open road for long trips it's about the same. By comparison I'd get about 250km on a full tank around town with my CTT and around 650 from long trips on the open road.

I have had as high as 1000km from a tank in the S E-Hybrid. But that was a month when I was doing a lot of local trips and charging up everytime I got home.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:56 AM
HGF
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A " HYBRID FAILURE" message shows most times in the message screen when the car gets warm and in Heavy traffic conditions.
Check Engine light remains off.
After connecting the scan tool several Trouble codes show, i think the following have to do with the message:

P0A0A00 Pilot line, open circuit
P0A2D00 Electric machine, temperature sensor - short circuit to B+
P178E00 Function restriction, temperature - limit value exceeeded
C120AB Check high-voltage air conditioner compressor control unit fault memory content

This is a 2011 Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid.

Please any guide to the trouble origin.

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:20 PM
ckelly14
AutoX

Coming off lease from my Lexus GS350 in December. My wife is enamored with the hybrid options. Drove the base Cayenne and thought it was somewhat under powered. Considering the e-hybrid vs the S. Questions:

1. Anyone drive both the S and the e-hybrid to compare? Went for a test drive in the e-hybrid but the battery was totally drained. Not a great way to make a sale!
2. Anyone have inside information about the 2018 Cayenne. My salesperson tells me the new model will debut in 2018 as a 2019 instead of the end of this year as I originally hoped.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 08:29 PM
thescratt
Instructor

If you go for an e-hybrid in its current form get the Sport Plus upgrade. It's well worth it.

I can't offer S vs e-hybrid opinions, but for my 2 cents I can say going from a 2004 CTT to the current e-hybrid is a step up on paper performance. And apart from being a little less rigid in corners it's directly comparable, except the boost is earlier from the electric motor. Which is quite fun. But it does need to be in Sport or Super Sport; Hybrid mode is about being economic as one would expect. In Hybrid mode it still gets going if you stick the boot in, just not as viscerally as when put in the correct mode for "fun".

I wil be plunking down for a 2018 / 2019 model, which according to my dealer will match the just updated Panamera spec. So more range. More power. Faster gearbox. If I can only get used to the idea of no buttons, which in the new Panamera makes it seem pretty sterile IMHO.

If I can afford it I may well go for the Cayenne Turbo Hybrid at the top of the range.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 PM
ckelly14
AutoX

The sports plus upgrade- do you mean the air suspension?

Are your hearing 2018 or 2019 model for the new Cayenne?

Looked on the Panamera site but didn't see anything about the battery. Is the Panamera E-Hybrid out now?

May also be interested in the Audi Q8 hybrid.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:24 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Sports Plus is just a mod to change engine mappings and firm up the suspension. The bit you are buying is the button and the remap, that is all.

I believe the next version of the Cayenne should hit 2018 as a 2019 model. I was even expecting early ones at the end of this year.

The new Panamera is available AFAIK. They are taking orders and have had demonstrators at my dealer.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:27 PM
thescratt
Instructor

I just finished a month of commuting in my 2016 e-Hybrid. I had just over half of a tank of fuel at the beginning of the month, and have just above the reserve now. Not including other bits of bimbling around I do about 30km a day. I average between 35 and 60 miles per gallon if I charge every night.

This entire tank, including mileage from before this last month of commuting (quite a lot of local electric) is about 25kms off of lasting 1000km.

In my previous Cayenne this same monthly commute would drain a tank (which was 25% larger than the hybrid's) twice a month.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:31 AM
chiapet15
Instructor

Originally Posted by thescratt
If you go for an e-hybrid in its current form get the Sport Plus upgrade. It's well worth it.
To my understanding, there isn't a sport plus option (even on the configuration site now), and sport plus is an operating mode that's part of PASM where it sets the suspension to the firmest setting. It doesn't affect the engine throttle mapping or turn on full parallel hybrid mode all the time.

The sport button is what alters the throttle map and gear shift points. You also need to be at 80% throttle before the electric motor kicks in to aid the ICE. (vs 100% throttle without sport button on)

I wish there was a mode where the full parallel mode would be engaged until the battery is depleted to 2 bars. This is usefull when you really need the power to be on tap, since the power curves of the S and S eHybrid are vastly different. It would be nice to choose whether we get that 95hp at the low RPM range of the ICE without having to floor the car
The following users liked this post:
David Pelton (12-13-2019)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:44 PM
thescratt
Instructor

It certainly firms the suspension up, which feels great in both hybrid and electric modes.

I think there is more to it than just that, and was under the impression it increases some throttle response even further. It certainly feels that way. Otherwise why have it? There is already a higher suspension setting you can select manually.

Link : https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...SPORTMODE.html

"Factory "Sport Plus mode" upgrade for 2015 or newer Cayenne models. By adding this upgrade kit, you can add additional sport features to your Cayenne. When activated, the Porsche control systems are intentionally shifted towards greater agility and driving dynamics.

Depending on your vehicles options, you can alter vehicle settings by activating this mode. This includes sporty tuning of Porsche Stability Management (PSM), Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC), and transmission/engine management.
The Sport and Sport Plus modes are displayed in the instrument cluster."
Old 05-27-2017, 11:38 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just join this club
Old 05-29-2017, 09:50 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

and I have Sport Plus mode btw
Old 05-29-2017, 10:40 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Originally Posted by asap
Another question, cant seem to find it in the manual, but how do you set up to memory the park assist settings (With surround view camera)? Every time I set up to the required specifications, it would reset back randomly
Say what ? surround view ?

do tell

Quick Reply: The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread