golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Many thanks!
Old 07-28-2018, 03:02 AM
DEMOORE18
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the software update seems to fix the problem. I also just had the transfer case replacement issue too. They replaced the transfer case. 2016 Cayenne S.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:23 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I was "pointed" to this thread when I had a similar problem with the cruise control and hills on my 2017 S. I took the identified software fix to my dealer and had him apply it. I haven't been out where I could totally test it out yet but it sure seems to be more responsive around town. Slight pressure on the accelerator in the higher gears seems to easily bring the turbo into play so I am hopeful this solved my problem.

Thanks to all those out there that went through the time and effort to troubleshoot this problem and kept complaining until Porsche produced a fix. Another example of why this is such a great community!!!
Old 07-28-2018, 04:57 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DEMOORE18
Yes the software update seems to fix the problem. I also just had the transfer case replacement issue too. They replaced the transfer case. 2016 Cayenne S.
I was wondering about the transfer case. When I'm stopped at a traffic light and let off the brake, I sometimes feel a slight bump almost like you are being tapped from behind. It isn't always a smooth take off. I am guessing that is the TC but I don't know if that is considered normal or problematic. It is the only TC symptom I feel and from what I read here, I am guessing it is not the cause of my cruise control issue.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:39 PM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by golftime
I was wondering about the transfer case. When I'm stopped at a traffic light and let off the brake, I sometimes feel a slight bump almost like you are being tapped from behind. It isn't always a smooth take off. I am guessing that is the TC but I don't know if that is considered normal or problematic. It is the only TC symptom I feel and from what I read here, I am guessing it is not the cause of my cruise control issue.
I get that as well- the slight bump like someone tapped the bumper. Twice now I’ve had my ECU reflashed to be less sensitive to the knock sensor- so boost it not cut out by the ECU. However still have issues boosting in the higher gears up hills etc. Dropping gears, increasing the accelerator pedal press to maintain load etc gradually helps but it’s defnitely not a smooth experience. What do people explain to the dealer to have decide it’s a TC failure? I see forums say replacement on the 958.2, but in Norcal it seems they say that’s more an older gen issue. Not sure how changing the TC improved the boost issue.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:26 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

John, I have read thru pages and pages of threads on these issues and am still not clear on what causes what. I know I have experienced the cruise control issue big time, and have started watching my boost gauge more closely. Unfortunately that is all over the boards. I have seen it go from 0 to 8 or 9 only to drop to 0 again for no rhyme or reason. I use only 93 octane. What bothers me is that many dealers are not at all familiar with this problem, and even if they are, the re-flash of the memory apparently doesn't always take. This should be a no-brainer fix by now. But when I made my appointment with my dealer, which is a good dealer by the way, they indicated they were not familiar with the problem. Not a good sign.

And of course then add in the slight bump when you take your foot off the brake at a stop light which I have to believe is the TC. I am not sure it is related to the boost issue, or even how it could be related given what the TC does, but some people up here have reported it was the cause of their problem. I plan to discuss both problems to my dealer and see what they come up with. I have had 911s in the past but this is my first foray into a Cayenne, and for a car with only 10k miles on it, I am very disappointed.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:43 PM
joew7777
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's 2016 Cayenne S has had the acceleration problem and had the last update done in Sept 17. I don't drive it very often but I have felt it was not accelerating right on many occasions but more jus slower than should be and not falling on its face like before the update. I have private messaged Snipe regarding our problems. About a month ago I mentioned to him I felt acceleration was strange and he mentioned that I should look into transfer case. I read about it and was pretty sure that is what I was feeling. Her transfer case was replaced about a month ago and I thought everything was fine after driving it home; it seemed a lot better after and felt like it should. Dealer is 3 hrs away and it was noticeably different on the ride home.

She just got back from a 500 mile trip to her reunion and said on steep hills her cruise control was dropping of from 79 mph down to 70 mph. Afterwards she tried to accelerate a few times and it felt just like it did before we did the software update with almost no acceleration. SOFTWARE UPDATE DIDN'T FIX PROBLEM. She has approximately 7-8000 miles on after software update. I drove it after she got home and it felt strong strong just like it should. I messaged Snipe and he said his always started in the 40 mile range but that is in hot and humid Florida and maybe takes longer for mine. I'm very discouraged because I love the Cayenne. This is my last attempt at getting it "fixed" before we change brands. I spend my time in Cayman forums and should have been paying a lot more attention to Cayenne forum. Thanks for the excellent information on this acceleration problem and the transfer case problem.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Catkinso
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

As a matter of interest what should the boost be under hard acceleration?
Old 08-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Catkinso
As a matter of interest what should the boost be under hard acceleration?
Full throttle I usually see it work up to max of 1.1-1.2 BAR. If you have the problem everyone has been discussing here then full throttle boost levels stay the same, partial throttle the boost starts to build then immediately zeros out. At least that was the case for both my engines pre software update and when problem happening.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:32 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Snipe's description is a good one, though when mine was at its worst the only way I could get boost on the freeway was to floor it and kick down a couple gears. It would build boost at high RPM but was unhappy doing it. No dice with low-RPM boost.

I put about 400 miles on it today taking my daughter to camp in Oregon, a drive that would have certainly reproduced the behavior (it took a long drive, and heat helped too). Was thinking about this thread. Hope I don't jinx myself, but I've had the flash for over a year and so far so good (crossing fingers)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:17 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Snipe's description is a good one, though when mine was at its worst the only way I could get boost on the freeway was to floor it and kick down a couple gears. It would build boost at high RPM but was unhappy doing it. No dice with low-RPM boost.

I put about 400 miles on it today taking my daughter to camp in Oregon, a drive that would have certainly reproduced the behavior (it took a long drive, and heat helped too). Was thinking about this thread. Hope I don't jinx myself, but I've had the flash for over a year and so far so good (crossing fingers)
Good point, when the problem is happening and if you floor it, it is still not as fast to get to full boost v. if vehicle does not have problem and you floor it.

The first “fix” I got was complete engine replacement. Vehicle was fine for a year then problem came back. By that point the software fix was out. I have not experienced the problem since software fix and guessing that was done a year or more ago but I honestly can’t remember when. I have done many long distance trips since the fix applied and all seems fine. I live in SE Texas so the norm here is hot/humid weather and heat definitely seems to play a part in the problem showing up. My original engine took around 40-50 miles of driving within a couple hour time gap for problem to surface, did not matter if constant driving or lots of short trips. I had to live with the problem for many thousands of miles of driving while I fought Porsche to accept it even had an issue. I got to point where if I am driving the vehicle when it has problem I can hear difference in engine tone when it is backing out boost, it gets a little deeper sounding.

I habe around 33-34k miles on mine now. Outside a turbocharger failure and recently transfer case failure it has been “okay” vehicle after this no boost issue was resolves. Definitely first and last Cayenne I will own.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:04 PM
AI10RS
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

hi guys. i am having the loss of power issue in my 16 gts. 16k miles. it is currently at the dealer for the transfer case issue. i forgot to mention the loss of power when i dropped it off so i called back later in the day to mention it and was told there is no software update for this and to be careful what i read on the forums. i do not feel like picking the truck up to then have to bring it back a few days later. what exactly do i tell them i need done?
Old 08-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by AI10RS
hi guys. i am having the loss of power issue in my 16 gts. 16k miles. it is currently at the dealer for the transfer case issue. i forgot to mention the loss of power when i dropped it off so i called back later in the day to mention it and was told there is no software update for this and to be careful what i read on the forums. i do not feel like picking the truck up to then have to bring it back a few days later. what exactly do i tell them i need done?
This is what the Porsche North America Field Technical Manager confirmed would fix the issue on mine and I(just some guy on the interwebs) can confirm it ultimately fixed the issue on my 2015 S:

DME update as per TI 2470 / DME update ATI 1704
The actual ticket for when they did that update was written up with some sort of wording about "loss of power when using cruise control"

Perhaps you should tell the dealership to not dismiss the issue and contact the factory, because when I finally got a dealership to listen to me and actually truly looked into it is when the factory confirmed the problem with them. This immediately dismissive attitude at Porsche dealerships I find rather baffling, at least here it is very strong at 2 of the 3 local dealerships, they rather call you a fool than believe you.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:44 PM
AI10RS
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snipe656
This is what the Porsche North America Field Technical Manager confirmed would fix the issue on mine and I(just some guy on the interwebs) can confirm it ultimately fixed the issue on my 2015 S:

The actual ticket for when they did that update was written up with some sort of wording about "loss of power when using cruise control"

Perhaps you should tell the dealership to not dismiss the issue and contact the factory, because when I finally got a dealership to listen to me and actually truly looked into it is when the factory confirmed the problem with them. This immediately dismissive attitude at Porsche dealerships I find rather baffling, at least here it is very strong at 2 of the 3 local dealerships, they rather call you a fool than believe you.
Thank you for your response. I will try this and see what they say.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:27 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

This is why I changed dealers. My old dealer was just plain unresponsive to problems. I explained the problem to my new dealer and provided the actual DME update, admitting I wasn't sure it was the problem, but was providing it simply for their information. Within 10-15 minutes they advised me they checked the update and it was supposed to address the problem, so they were going to install it. About an hour later they were done, and problem was solved. I can't say it eliminated the slight bump I sometimes get when I take my foot off the brake at a red light, which I have to assume is the transfer case, but it definitely took care of the "cruise control problem" or lack of boost at certain times. It drives like a totally different car.

Quick Reply: 2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power