Sponsored By:

2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 07:39 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but my attempts at completely solving this issue on my cayenne have failed so far. Have had this issue, although very intermittent, since I purchased my CS. Transfer case changed prior to my ownership and I’ve been doing 10k interval fluid flushes. Spark plugs changed at 35k (I know, a little late), and now brought to dealer for software update only to be told that the car has no faults, drives like the other CS they had on the lot, and already has the most recent DME software revision. Unlike what posters have said prior to the software update, I do have full boost when flooring the pedal down to pass from highway speed, but it’s at part throttle where the boost seems to drop.

Only thing I can think of is the tires are worn pretty low, but are evenly worn and correctly filled with air.

Has anyone else had similar mid throttle boost loss after the software update?
Mine was that way, if I floored it I would have full or a lot of boost. I do not recall what the gauge registered but it was the only way I could get boost while the problem was happening. I do not think the wastegates can back out the boost in the WOT(floored throttle) scenario is why. I had to drive to Lubbock and back to Houston with that problem happening and remember well that was only way to get boost because the only way I could pass anyone is if I floored it otherwise vehicle could not really accelerate by much of anything.

Based on what others post in here I do not think the fix mentioned earlier in this thread is software that is just loaded into the ECUs from the factory. So an ECU with the latest full software for the vehicle would not have this fix if that is the case and it certainly seems to be the case since you are not the first person to get such a response from a dealership.

I'd escalate the issue with Porsche North America if the dealer is not wanting to do anything. The numbers for the software update for this problem are in earlier posts in this same thread so contact them with that information. Or if possible just try a different dealership and go to them with those numbers and descriptions of your issue and how it meets everyone else online who has had the problem fixed by that software.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:04 AM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks for that response! I got in touch with Porsche NA and they opened a case. Very nice and professional over the phone, will see where that leads. I’ll let the SA know tomorrow as well since they still have the car. This is actually the second dealer I’ve taken it to for this issue since they are a very large south Florida dealer. I thought they might have some experience seeing this problem but I guess not.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:10 AM
Snipe656
Instructor

Thanks for that response! I got in touch with Porsche NA and they opened a case. Very nice and professional over the phone, will see where that leads. I’ll let the SA know tomorrow as well since they still have the car. This is actually the second dealer I’ve taken it to for this issue since they are a very large south Florida dealer. I thought they might have some experience seeing this problem but I guess not.
Good luck. The first level at Porsche North America was of no help to me and after many conversations. Matter of fact the first level is who ultimately told me I must just not understand how turbos work. Interesting statement to make to someone with my background to say the least. But the second level there was very helpful.

it was a painful process for me but worth the fight. It also meant trying three dealerships before finding one that even believe me that it has a problem.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:33 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Picked up my CS from the dealer today and I underestimated my SA. He actually passed on the ATI number information to the tech (that I had sent him originally) and they verified that my CS does indeed have the updated software. He showed me the Porsche official bulletin which I will post here and the software numbers for the DME. So I can safely say that the intermittent boost issue (which didn't seem to occur for the past hour or so of driving it) is definitely NOT from lack of the most up to date software. Oh well, will definitely keep a close eye on it.

For those with this issue, print out the attached bulletin that I have posted here and bring it to the SA. Removes any guess work from the first line of treatment.

The following users liked this post:
carenthu (07-18-2024)
Old 04-04-2020, 12:50 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 191 Posts

I have been in discussion with my SA for a couple of years regarding a very intermittent loss of boast issue. He thinks it’s likely a component but hard to pinpoint since it’s so intermittent they likely won’t be able to reproduce. What I know so far is it occurs during cold and damp weather. Usually temps in the 20s with snow and/or rain. It’s only occurred while on a longer road trip heading to Florida for the winter months. The boast fails a couple of hours into the trip in both normal and sport mode. Turning off the restarting doesn’t correct. Needs the temp to warm up. This occurred again yesterday as we drove through heavy rain at 32 degrees. The front of the Cayenne had an inch of ice on it but the roads stayed wet. After about an hour boast was gone. Difficult climbing hills without down shifting. Sport mode didn’t make a difference. It came back for a few miles after we stopped for gas but soon was in failure mode again. Once the roads were better I got on it up a hill and eventually the boast came back registering high on the gauge. Worked for a bit then lost again. Eventually it came back after the rain ended but wasn’t normal. This went on for over 500 miles. Something must be freezing up. Any thoughts?

Last edited by rdboxster; 04-05-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Nick Valerino
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just started having this issue in my "new to me" Porsche certified 2016 Cayenne S. Barely had it two weeks, took it on a roadtrip and was being passed by minivans on the hills. I could definitely tell that it wasn't getting boost. Has this software update still been holding as a fix?
Old 08-11-2020, 05:58 PM
yoopmqt
Intermediate

I'm having all these exact symptoms. My VIN says I have the most up to date software, so the dealer is saying "I don't know what to tell you...."
Old 08-11-2020, 07:07 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

How many miles are on your CS and when was the last time you changed the spark plugs? How about transfer case fluid?
Old 08-12-2020, 04:29 PM
yoopmqt
Intermediate

How many miles are on your CS and when was the last time you changed the spark plugs? How about transfer case fluid?
About 24,000 miles. I have not changed the spark plugs since I got it, but I did order some, and I'm going to try that next. Transfer case fluid was changed at the same time I changed my transfer case, at about 22,000 miles.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:06 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I’d make Porsche figure it out if it’s under warranty before I went to all of the trouble that you’re about to go through...

It’s a very unsafe condition to be in...My dealer didn’t know anything about it but re-flashed my computer and it fixed it permanently.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:49 PM
yoopmqt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
I’d make Porsche figure it out if it’s under warranty before I went to all of the trouble that you’re about to go through...

It’s a very unsafe condition to be in...My dealer didn’t know anything about it but re-flashed my computer and it fixed it permanently.
Update: I took it to the dealer and they re-scanned and re-flashed it even though supposedly I already had the update. It seems to be fixed now.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:33 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick Valerino
I've just started having this issue in my "new to me" Porsche certified 2016 Cayenne S. Barely had it two weeks, took it on a roadtrip and was being passed by minivans on the hills. I could definitely tell that it wasn't getting boost. Has this software update still been holding as a fix?
My 2015 that I bought new was that way for the first road trip I took after buying it, just 1 month into ownership. The software fix that I and others on here have is what ultimately stopped the issue from ever happening again. The software fix did not exist back when I bought the vehicle so the first "fix" from Porsche was to replace my entire engine, that did fix the issue for around a year of driving. The software fix was released by that point in time, I had it applied to the vehicle and not had an issue since then, I think it has been 2-3 years now since that happened but I'd have to dig through my log to know for certain. So definitely see if you have the fix or can get it loaded if you do not. I am just shy of 50k miles, so my guess is I put 25-30k on the vehicle since that fix was loaded. Now I have had my fair share of other problems, some of which sadly just seem to be known issues(timing chain cover leak that some Porsche fix was done since under warranty when I discovered it, of course the transfer case like most everyone else, and HPFP failure which looking at the engine in the Macan will find many people say this should just be replaced every 40-50k miles due to how common they fail) then some not known issues(turbo replacement, cam phaser/bolt issue that seems common on prior engines but not these, power steering pump(?), faulty heater valve, faulty stereo amp, faulty headlight assembly, door lock stuck on lock, misc interior adjustments, and so on and so on).
Old 08-27-2020, 12:11 AM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Valerino
I have a 2016 Cayenne S as well and had this problem (detailed earlier in this thread). I got the software fix and had it happen once since then. One thing I have noticed is that literally turning engine off and back on seemed to always fix it for me. Worth trying to see if it seems to reset the software issue.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:58 AM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by yoopmqt
Update: I took it to the dealer and they re-scanned and re-flashed it even though supposedly I already had the update. It seems to be fixed now.
Interesting. Where you able to verify that they did indeed simply re-flash the exact same version? I had the fix applied, and while it helped, I still periodically encounter the problem, though to a lesser extent (boost drops instead of climbs, but doesn't go to 0). It seems to somewhat correlate to driving in cooler temperatures (say ~60 degrees and below).
Old 01-10-2021, 01:30 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 191 Posts

Resurrecting this thread as the GTS is still exhibiting the hesitation/loss of power intermittently on long trips in cooler weather. We just finished the 1700 mile drive to warmer weather. About 2/3 of the trip was in temperatures ranging from 20 deg to 45 deg. After a few hours throttle response was uneven with hesitation. At times difficult to maintain 75 to 80 mph on hills. Occurred in normal and sport mode. Wasn’t tied to cruse control. The turbo didn’t drop off like before the software patch but the display showed inconsistent boost. It would go to 3 to 5 psi than drop to zero. There would be no boost until I gave almost full throttle. Boost would be better for a while than back to inconsistent. A couple of hours the next day, after letting it sit overnight, the hesitation and inconsistent boost was back. Once the temps warmed into the 60s it ran great. No problems maintaining 80 and had great power for acceleration. Turbo boost is normal and quickly jumps to higher psi on acceleration. I’ve talked with the dealer several times but it’s perplexing where to start. I just purchased iCarscan hoping to be able to see something as the boast issue is occurring. It does seem similar to what BrendonSF mentioned in previous post. Are others experiencing anything similar?

Quick Reply: 2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power