Sponsored By:

2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM
cdog533
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHoon
Now it drives like it should! Boost here, boost there, Boost Everywhere!
What level of max boost are you seeing post-software update? Is it higher than before.

I don't have the update; currently I see about 18-19 lbs. of boost at high RPMs. (I set my boost gauge to psi instead of bar). Although, I do still have the zero-boost issue at times (as per my earlier posts)

Last edited by cdog533; 08-22-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:11 PM
AquaGTS
2nd Gear

Default Same issue with my 2016 Cayenne GTS

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum, but I am glad that I found it. I have exactly the same issues. It first showed up about a year ago, check engine light came on and off so I brought it to the dealership - they could not find out anything so they just reset the check engine light. Well, the problem kept happening so I finally brought it back last week. Their computer showed some faults, but they did not know what to do till yesterday when I told them about this forum. So they told me they would install the software update and I could pick my car today. They have not called but I hope it will be fixed. It was really bothering me...

I will let you know how it goes...
Old 08-22-2017, 03:18 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

"some faults" bears knowing which ones. Get a list of them if possible.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:49 AM
TxHoon
Advanced

Originally Posted by cdog533
What level of max boost are you seeing post-software update? Is it higher than before.

I don't have the update; currently I see about 18-19 lbs. of boost at high RPMs. (I set my boost gauge to psi instead of bar). Although, I do still have the zero-boost issue at times (as per my earlier posts)
I have seen 18 which I never saw before. Before the update, I would be lucky to see 13psi. It does drive better, but I have not gone on a long trip yet. Before, it used to take about 120-130 miles for the issue to show up.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:57 AM
AquaGTS
2nd Gear

Default Same issue with my 2016 Cayenne GTS

Hi Everybody,

So I just picked up my 2016 Cayenne GTS. They could not tell me what faults the software read but the service ticket has the following info on it: Technician diagnosed vehicle and found fault code for CAM actuator. Technician swapped over actuators from Bank 1 to Bank 2. Test drove vehicle for multiple test drives. Software update available - technician found technical bulletin regarding power loss. Technician performed software update for DME Control Unit.

The car seems to drive better - but it could be just me thinking so as I drove a loaner Cayman for the last week while my car was in service. If anything changes, I will provide an update. But it seems like the software update is the fix. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:03 PM
TxHoon
Advanced

Ok, just got back from the dealer. The software update they did a few weeks ago did not take. That explains the similar symptoms.

After the update, it runs like a stabbed rat. On the way to the dealer it would not get out of its own way, now I runs better that it ever has. The car was still hot so the 45 min in the service bay would not make a difference. Can't wait to make another road trip with it. Now it drives like it should! Boost here, boost there, Boost Everywhere!
Sadly the problem is still there. Driving it after a couple hundred miles will reveal the problem.

I talked to the dealer and they apologised but had no other ideas how to fix it.

I traded it in this week and purchased a '18 F150 Platinum. I really wanted to love it, but just could not do it. It is like having a beautiful wife and then you find out she is a meth head stripper. Oh well, Still have the '14 Panny S.

The dealer has been great throughout the ordeal and I am looking forward to my next purchase which will probably be a 911S or GTS.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:47 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Sadly the problem is still there. Driving it after a couple hundred miles will reveal the problem.

I talked to the dealer and they apologised but had no other ideas how to fix it.

I traded it in this week and purchased a '18 F150 Platinum. I really wanted to love it, but just could not do it. It is like having a beautiful wife and then you find out she is a meth head stripper. Oh well, Still have the '14 Panny S.

The dealer has been great throughout the ordeal and I am looking forward to my next purchase which will probably be a 911S or GTS.
Sorry to hear they couldn't fix the issue. Knocking wood, but mine has been great for months since they re-flashed the ECU. Granted, I haven't been on many more big road-trips, but the boost is always there when I need it.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:08 PM
chico68
1st Gear

Also, in Alberta (Calgary), have a 2015 Cayenne S which is having all the same problems that I am seeing on this forum. The vehicle has been through several software fixes, they even replaced the turbos in the vehicle. The service department is at a loss and they seem to be always waiting for the next software fix.

The service department has been good to deal with but it obvious that their hands have been tied. I mentioned about replacing the engine and their comments were that they already did that on one vehicle and that didn't work either. The lack of power almost got me killed on the highway when i tried to pass a vehicle and had zero power. The service technician who last took it out said it was like it was throwing off 50hp. The vehicle has never performed like a Cayenne S. This vehicle replaced a 2011 Cayenne S, so I have a pretty good idea on how it should perform.

At my wits end and started dealing with Porsche North America who promised a fix with the next software fix on several occasions which just didn't work ( at least they are consistent with over promising and under delivering). I then was sent to Porsche Canada and the customer service there is like dealing with a bank, they simply do not care about their customers. They don't respond to your emails or return your phone calls. I told Porsche Canada that I didn't want the car anymore and they then said they would look for a trade and really nothing has come of that. I am not interested in another 2015/2016 as I heard this may be a system wide problem and some vehicles are just worse off than others.

The one thing I really can't believe is the lack of customer service that I am receiving on this issue. With the 2011 Cayenne S, I was driving and all off sudden something is burning and my all-wheel drive is gone. Electrical problem where I had to get a wiring harness specific to my vehicle built in Germany for the vehicle. Loaner for another 4-6 weeks.

People in my area think I work at the dealership as I am driving a different colored Cayenne or Macan service vehicle all of the time.

Anyone else having problems with the higher ups at Porsche on this issue......getting tired of the dead silence!

Last edited by chico68; 10-13-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Sorry to hear they couldn't fix the issue. Knocking wood, but mine has been great for months since they re-flashed the ECU. Granted, I haven't been on many more big road-trips, but the boost is always there when I need it.
i have taken mine on several trips from Houston to San Antonio and back since doing the software update. Noticed no boost drop off related issues. My mpg picked up 5-6 more for solid freeway trips after the software update, so basically it now gets what it was rated for when I bought it. It does seem like on a summer day with warm weather that after driving that long trip to San Antonio that a slight surge happens across acceleration from a dead stop back up to freeway speeds via 1/4 throttle, that is the only complaint I can find so far.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:21 PM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks everyone on this thread for the info. I was driving my CS '15 from the Bay Area to AZ and saw these exact symptoms. Called the dealer for the reflash. My experience on turbo cars is quite extensive. To me the boost was being cut back due to the knock sensor input and it was not letting the car boost- opening the wastegate at high gear, high load. It should be a boost monster in those scenarios- more load means the boost should build up. I was adjusting all my displays and was watching the boost going up hills. Sometimes no issue or you had to really drop down to 6 from 8 to get boost. Also I didn't correlate the slightly slower cruise control until reading this forum. I don't use cruise much at all. Hopefully it works and I have it up and running with better boos than and mpg next week! Thank you again for the info. This CS15 is a new to me car, and I'm sorting out issues like this
Old 02-03-2018, 04:55 PM
SILVER FOX
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2017 CAYENNE GTS LOSS OF POWER

The knock sensor software issue also affect MY 2017.
Thanks to this fabulous thread, I was able to point my local Porsche dealer in the right direction and they updated the knock sensor related software.
Today, I took the car on a 110 mile test run up Interstate 80 from Reno. NV to Donner Lake Pass, CA, an elevation change from 4350 Feet to 7240 Feet.
I set the cruise control at 75, 80 and 85 MPH and the speed was maintained perfectly while in 8th gear. Boost only had to come on at 6-8% uphill grades.
Before the software update I would lose 9 MPH with the cruise control on while going uphill and the car felt like a slug.
Fuel consumption also improved by over 3 MPG. Since the software update, the 2017 Cayenne GTS feels much peppier all around.
Thank you all for paving the way for latecomers like me.

BTW, would it be possible to add 2017 to the title of this thread, so that other affected owners might find it more easily?
Old 04-29-2018, 01:29 PM
dk0811
3rd Gear

hello,

new member and i was wondering if there are still power loss issues with the 2016 GTS? i am looking at a few different 2016 GTS's but have not spoken to any dealers about the vehicles. i read through the entire thread and saw that some members were still having issues even after having their vehicles re-flashed by the dealer. would i be better just looking at a 2016 CD and staying away from the 2016 GTS? thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:44 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

My 2016 GTS runs great. I have put on over 18k miles since the fix was installed. Only time I have seen some low boost is in subzero temps. It was very intermittent. Otherwise not an issue. Really tough to compare a CD to a GTS. Majority of CDs don't have the options nor do they have the performance. A CD is a great option just tough to compare with a GTS.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:22 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd like to resurrect this thread. I have a 2016 Cayenne S and just experienced the "cruise control issue" where the cruise couldn't maintain speed while climbing a pretty steep hill on the interstate. The speed dropped about 9 MPH. It seemed very short on power which I believe was related to lack of boost until until I downshifted it a couple of gears. Does anyone know if the software update mentioned in this thread fixes the problem?
Old 07-27-2018, 11:06 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by golftime
I'd like to resurrect this thread. I have a 2016 Cayenne S and just experienced the "cruise control issue" where the cruise couldn't maintain speed while climbing a pretty steep hill on the interstate. The speed dropped about 9 MPH. It seemed very short on power which I believe was related to lack of boost until until I downshifted it a couple of gears. Does anyone know if the software update mentioned in this thread fixes the problem?
Yes, well assuming your issue is what most of us experienced of course. Your description would match what most of us experienced.

Quick Reply: 2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power