Sponsored By:

2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 04:52 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ledbette
When I've done my own tracking, the real MPG is about 15-20% below the MPG reported by the computer on both my 981 Boxster S and this car. Haven't looked since I flashed. This is my wife's car, so I'm not very diligent in tracking it.
I keep a log and don’t go off what the computer says. It is an old habit of mine from many years of having to track miles for work. I just remember it was a pretty significant increase along with the much better drive ability.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:10 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ledbette
We really need a "What you should look at that is not on the factory recommended maintenance list" sticky.
Definitely would love one of these! I’m at the point where I see something like this and rush out to buy the parts whether I need them or not. I’m becoming paranoid.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:18 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mrg02D
Definitely would love one of these! I’m at the point where I see something like this and rush out to buy the parts whether I need them or not. I’m becoming paranoid.
Checked mine last weekend during oil change and no issues at about 55k miles. Now sadly I am still trying to figure out what is randomly causing my check engine light to trigger for low fuel pressure. My high pressure pumps were replaced around 49k miles first time light came on. Starting to suspect the pump/filters inside the tank but naturally now out of warranty so also not just taking to the dealer to mess with it any more.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:20 PM
PFDGSB
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Brought my car in for this issue today (noticeable lack of power on highway after driving for 45 minutes+).

They hadn't heard of the issue, I pointed them to ATI 1704. The SA was pretty adamant that a CEL would illuminate if there was a knock sensor issue. Either way, they took the vehicle in for service.

About an hour later, they came back and said that the bulletin that I mentioned was part of a larger software update campaign. They installed the larger campaign which supposedly included the fix for the loss of power issue.

They didn't provide any information as to what the campaign was called.

The software update is installed. It may be a little while before I drive an hour on the highway so I may not know if this is fixed for a while.

I will report back any findings as I have them.
The following users liked this post:
BrendonSF (01-11-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 03:19 PM
GTCharlie
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts
Thumbs up

Just had this issue come up on my 2016 958.2 with 69,000 bought CPO at 62,000. Like others, it first showed up after driving more than 2 hours on cruise control while going up a slight freeway grade. It couldn't maintain speed by 6+ MPH set to 80 MPH. From there it would have loss of power (no boost) off cruise intermittently as well. The 3 things that would bring the boost back was almost WOT, lifting throttle completely and re-applying, and if I left the car off for more than 30 minutes it would not come up again for awhile. It began to show up more frequently and with shorter drives while I was waiting the 6 weeks for my service appointment. The service department didn't know what was causing the issue as there was no CEL. Thankfully this post was here so I could inform them of the engine knock sensor software update. Not only has this taken care of the no boost issue, but increased the power by what feels like 25%! Surprised this wasn't caught on mine for 5 years and 69,000 miles with an automatic update...unless the boost hadn't failed me completely I wouldn't know it was causing a partial loss of power all the time. So even if you haven't experienced the complete loss of boost I would request the dealer update it. For reasons such as this I wish all cars had automatic software updates like our phones and Teslas do. I'm sure it's coming soon to all vehicles in due time. Attached here is the TSB again.

P.s. I was also experiencing a slight pulsation during hard acceleration. I was thinking it might be the transfer case which was replaced only 15,000 miles ago. However, it has completely gone away with this software fix.
Attached Images  

Last edited by GTCharlie; 03-13-2022 at 04:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GTCharlie:
ledbette (03-12-2022), RhinoComp (04-14-2023), Simeon (03-12-2022)
Old 03-07-2023, 05:01 PM
SF_CayenneS
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up This was the fix!

Originally Posted by John Young
for my 2015 CS. I got this at Autohausaz

Crankcase vent valve right
PO-94610722977 $99.99
Vent valve left
PO-94610723077 $94.99
2x o rings
GR-99970767741 $4.55
2x o rings
GR-9997076770 $4.44
Thanks for this parts list!

My O rings seemed ok, so I left them in place; replacing the rest of the vent valves resolved my boost drop off issue. I used to spike to usable boost and get random drop offs to 0, now it actually holds 3-7psi on San Francisco uphills.
ledbette (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 06:28 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by SF_CayenneS
Thanks for this parts list!

My O rings seemed ok, so I left them in place; replacing the rest of the vent valves resolved my boost drop off issue. I used to spike to usable boost and get random drop offs to 0, now it actually holds 3-7psi on San Francisco uphills.
Can also get them from FCP Euro. I recently noticed a strong vacuum pull at oil fill cap which typically is a sign of a weak PCV valve. Dealer did not have them so ordered them and o rings from FCP. Not installed yet but I am experiencing zero losses in boost. I did have one mechanic tell me for some reason bad PCV valves they have seen trigger the random low fuel pressure event code I been seeing for 2-3 years now. So maybe this will fix that since multiple high pressure fuel pump replacements and low pressure side replacement all did nothing but empty more of my wallet.

Last edited by Snipe656; 03-07-2023 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:50 AM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

Might be a long shot, but has anyone with the power loss issue resolved it by getting a tune like the Softronic one? Or is the update covering a part of the DME that wouldn't be affected by such a tune?
Old 04-19-2023, 01:59 AM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by RhinoComp
Might be a long shot, but has anyone with the power loss issue resolved it by getting a tune like the Softronic one? Or is the update covering a part of the DME that wouldn't be affected by such a tune?
Not sure if this answers your worries or not. But I had a Eurocharged stage 1 tune put onto my 2015 in the past year. It definitely did not bring back this loss of power problem that the factory software updated fixed for me a few years ago when applied. I’d not think a tune would fix the problem since, as it was explained to me, the problem roots from ECU reacting incorrectly to some knock sensors readings and tunes don’t seem to touch that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Snipe656:
GTCharlie (04-19-2023), RhinoComp (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 02:50 AM
949s
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snipe656
Not sure if this answers your worries or not. But I had a Eurocharged stage 1 tune put onto my 2015 in the past year. It definitely did not bring back this loss of power problem that the factory software updated fixed for me a few years ago when applied. I’d not think a tune would fix the problem since, as it was explained to me, the problem roots from ECU reacting incorrectly to some knock sensors readings and tunes don’t seem to touch that.

How do you like the tune according to their website the numbers don't make sense
  • Stock HP420HP
  • Tuned HP480HP
  • Stock TQ550ft/lbs
  • Tuned TQ660ft/lb
Porsche Cayenne 3.6T S DFI Ecu Tune - Eurocharged Performance
Old 04-19-2023, 03:00 AM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by 949s
How do you like the tune according to their website the numbers don't make sense
  • Stock HP420HP
  • Tuned HP480HP
  • Stock TQ550ft/lbs
  • Tuned TQ660ft/lb
Porsche Cayenne 3.6T S DFI Ecu Tune - Eurocharged Performance
No idea if it really makes that power or not. But I like it a lot and really only regret not be getting it sooner. The boost, if can still trust the gauge, is a ton more responsive and peaks out a lot quicker. I honestly almost never put the thing into Sport mode now that the tune is on it. Before I often would use Sport just so had better throttle response in some driving conditions. I maybe had the tune for a year now but have to dig through my log book to be sure.

Now the vehicle does some strange transmission “blip” if at wide open throttle. But this I actually not noticed when driving and only know about it because of data logging my mechanic did after loading the tune. He suggested I try and find a transmission tune but only thing I found online was mentioning of some individual who did this but no longer does. I think I have a screenshot of this somewhere on my home hard drive.

I don’t think it makes any difference around power but will mention that the vehicle also has the secondary cats bypassed via Fabspeed pipes. This I did a couple years back in hopes would sound better. Not really the sound I wanted but definitely has grown on me and do enjoy the sound now days.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:23 AM
949s
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snipe656
No idea if it really makes that power or not. But I like it a lot and really only regret not be getting it sooner. The boost, if can still trust the gauge, is a ton more responsive and peaks out a lot quicker. I honestly almost never put the thing into Sport mode now that the tune is on it. Before I often would use Sport just so had better throttle response in some driving conditions. I maybe had the tune for a year now but have to dig through my log book to be sure.

Now the vehicle does some strange transmission “blip” if at wide open throttle. But this I actually not noticed when driving and only know about it because of data logging my mechanic did after loading the tune. He suggested I try and find a transmission tune but only thing I found online was mentioning of some individual who did this but no longer does. I think I have a screenshot of this somewhere on my home hard drive.

I don’t think it makes any difference around power but will mention that the vehicle also has the secondary cats bypassed via Fabspeed pipes. This I did a couple years back in hopes would sound better. Not really the sound I wanted but definitely has grown on me and do enjoy the sound now days.
ok im just shopping around for a tune i might have a lead for you on the transmission tuning as I'm looking for one as well just have not gotten around to Here is the info I got We do need a TCU software ID to verify if we can tune your transmission. You can retrieve this information normally with any OBD2 diagnostic dongle that can connect to your TCU.

TVS Engineering/DSG Dokter

Valutaweg 12
7051EA Varsseveld
The Netherlands
T+31 (0) 315 230 584
www.tvsengineering.nl
GTCharlie (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 09:45 AM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by 949s
ok im just shopping around for a tune i might have a lead for you on the transmission tuning as I'm looking for one as well just have not gotten around to Here is the info I got We do need a TCU software ID to verify if we can tune your transmission. You can retrieve this information normally with any OBD2 diagnostic dongle that can connect to your TCU.

TVS Engineering/DSG Dokter

Valutaweg 12
7051EA Varsseveld
The Netherlands
T+31 (0) 315 230 584
www.tvsengineering.nl
Thanks. I have seen that company mentioned before and got the impression just did DSGs. I forgot about them and never have actually contacted them. Guess I should quit being lazy and make contact just to see.
Old 04-19-2023, 11:46 AM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

I had both the dealer fix applied, as well as a Softronic tune. Softronic takes your original file and simply adjusts air/fuel/boost ratios. I think it's pretty safe to say that they aren't altering knock detection, which is the root of the problem. If anything I would expect the tune to make it worse, as it's using boost more heavily, and that's the first thing the engine peels back when it incorrectly detects knock.
RhinoComp (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 12:40 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

If you haven't gotten the DME reflash, that's the place to start. I was able to get mine done out-of-warranty for $180. I described the problem to the service writer and gave him a copy of the service bulletin.

Quick Reply: 2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power