Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:32 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as a data point, I first noticed this condition after receiving my GTS back from transfer-case replacement.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by softright
Thanks for the reply guys. Right I neglected to mention that my issue is intermittent as well, but seems to only be evident / noticeable cruising at highway speeds. Almost like a limp mode without throwing codes. Or a traction control issue without flashing dash lights. I scheduled appointment but it is 2 weeks out. Will show this thread to tech. Interesting that the first word out of service writer was transfer case. Could just be coincidence since the TC failures seem to be fairly common.
When I was still dealing with the issue on mine and went to the third dealership, the first word out of the tech's mouth was transfer case. This was as he and I walked out to the vehicle so I could show him the issue during a drive. Before we even started moving and I explained it in more detail he said maybe he jumped the gun and it is not the TC. He did in that same conversation say they have seen so many TC failures that are having a hard time getting replacement TCs in. Feels like just a matter of time before dealing with that issue too.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:38 PM
e_thereal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well now I"m very concerned about buying a '16 Cayenne GTS/S!!
Old 04-20-2017, 04:34 PM
DEMOORE18
3rd Gear

Default Loss of power Cayenne S

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue on my 2016 Cayenne S with 5500 mi.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by DEMOORE18
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same issue on my 2016 Cayenne S with 5500 mi.
I seem to be the only person who has posted in here and had theirs resolved and I posted earlier in the thread the solution Porsche's regional person elected to use to fix things.

Good luck, took me forever to even get a dealership to admit mine even had a problem.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:59 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Boost is electronically controlled. That means the software is bleeding boost for some reason.

replacing an engine for a boost issue is absolutely farking ridiculous.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by John Welch.
Boost is electronically controlled. That means the software is bleeding boost for some reason.
When you know what's causing the problem, yes, it would seem more effective to just replace components. But if they don't know what's causing it, it's in warranty and it's on their dime, then if they want to bundle up the whole engine and figure it out for themselves then have at it. Out of warranty, however, I'd certainly pitch a fit if they expected me to swallow the cost of a whole engine replacement.

Given the transfer case issues discussed in other threads I'm still leaning toward a combination of factors leading to the computer(s) making less than effective decisions. As in, torque slip in the transfer case, body roll, steering angle, wheel position sensors, etc, all come into play when deciding about much power to provide from the engine.

You're not going to get the handling, performance, safety and mileage out of a beast like this without all of them operating in close cooperation.

Trouble is it's darned tough getting all of that data out of the vehicle during real world driving. It's "in there" but I've yet to come across the right combination of portable tools that'd allow collecting it, let alone analyzing it.

So, yeah, for now the whole engine thing seems like they're just poking a sharp stick in a black box hoping to find something causing the problem.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Welch.

i stated before the whole reason they did that is because it is a sound internal to the engine setting off the knock sensors. A sound that at that time the factory openly admitted they have no fix for, I have a copy of the communications over my vehicle on that. A sound the regional Porsche representative openly admitted in a face to face meeting that Porsche does not know the cause and not been able to find a fix for on any of the other vehicles that have had the same issue. The representative I think said it best when he said he has decided to do engine replacements over having dealers tear engines down to try and find the cause. From my shoes if the factory can't figure it out then I don't trust the dealership to figure it out either, but I never asked for a new engine that was the regional reps decision after he verified my issue was the same issue Porsche had already seen in other vehicles and unable to determine cause of the sound.

What amazes me is just in this thread you will see a lot of people who gave up fighting dealerships and/or waiting on a software fix, so sold their cars in frustration. I am the only one who seems to actually insisted with Porsche North America that my vehicle get fixed or replaced, I am the only one who no longer has the problem. I don't know but maybe there was some truth to what the regional guy said/explained and why he approved that near $25k repair that I am sure cost Porsche more like $15-18k
Old 04-20-2017, 06:30 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 135 Posts

I must have missed the knock sound factor, very interesting.

Did they indicate how/what was telling them this was happening? Was it a stored value they'd been pulling out of the computer showing higher than expected numbers for the sensor?
Old 04-20-2017, 06:48 PM
DEMOORE18
3rd Gear

Default Cayenne S loss of power

I took my 16 Cayenne S into the dealership today for the first try at getting this issue resolved. They said they had no experience in this matter. They hadn't seen it before. This is Porsche Monterey. Anyone have any ideas for short cuts in finding resolution? Naturally the 30 mi. drive to the dealership didn't result in any occurrence of the problem. It seems to need at least 50 mi of freeway driving to get it to occur in my vehicle.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I must have missed the knock sound factor, very interesting.

Did they indicate how/what was telling them this was happening? Was it a stored value they'd been pulling out of the computer showing higher than expected numbers for the sensor?
They explained it at the time but that was June or August last year so my memory is hazy. If I can find where I emailed the details from my meeting then I will reply back with a better description. But as I remember they had to have a laptop with their software hooked up and monitor the readings as they drove the vehicle. So the shop
Foreman was driving while the regional rep was watching the laptop. The foreman informed him when the issue was happening and the regional guy would check things. So here is where I get hazy in memory but they explained reading values from knock sensors and how they relate to octane ratings and when the problem happened the computer assumes really bad gas is in the engine so backs everything way out. They did verify the fuel quality by taking a sample from the car and they did verify via my log book that I was not putting crap fuel in. Now by the time the regional person had looked at my car he said Porsche already has found the problem in other vehicles and already determined it is that mystery sound causing the sensor to think bad fuel.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by DEMOORE18
I took my 16 Cayenne S into the dealership today for the first try at getting this issue resolved. They said they had no experience in this matter. They hadn't seen it before. This is Porsche Monterey. Anyone have any ideas for short cuts in finding resolution? Naturally the 30 mi. drive to the dealership didn't result in any occurrence of the problem. It seems to need at least 50 mi of freeway driving to get it to occur in my vehicle.
For me it took me supplying videos showing the boost dropping to zero. Then it still took me telling the dealership it needs to drive 40+ miles to happen and they have my permission to drive it as much as possible so they can see it happening.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:42 PM
softright
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine goes in next Tuesday but i don't expect them to find anything. I experienced the problem driving back to Chicago from Michigan a couple weeks ago and i haven't been able to reproduce since, including some highway driving. My guess...Bad gas from Michigan fillip (Shell premium like always). Fine since local fill ups. I bet timing and boost are being dialed back due to sensing low octane. Maybe ethanol content related?
Old 04-23-2017, 03:46 AM
Trackmunkey
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

I had the same loss of power issue driving in 8th/manual on a slight incline.

I have a 16 S. last week my dealer updated the DME. They seemed to know exactly what my issue was.

Drove the car all day today and the issue hasn't presented itself. I think it is solved.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:54 PM
davidliu68
1st Gear

Do you know what DME version they updated on your car?

Quick Reply: 2016-2017 Cayenne GTS Loss of Power