Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Easy upgrade for Cayenne 958 Bose tweeters (with a little bit of tech from Ferrari)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 10:54 PM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Dropped in the new Burmester tweeters with caps. Immediate noticeable difference in clarity in the uppers.

Not done, though. I couldn't shake the ringing I was still getting in the highs. You know it immediately because your instinct is "I have to turn down the Treble." But then when you do, you lose definition.

I had read in some other forums a strong recommendation by audio pros (literally, vendors) to disconnect the center channel as a way to improve sound. Mostly had to do with imaging but had also heard one of the issues was that that speaker is a bit of a mix between a tweet and mid woofer.

So, gave the center channel delete a shot. Bottom-line: keeping it deleted.
Pros: WAY better imaging, ringing is totally gone. Treble is back to 0 and can turn it up loud with no problems. Imaging wasn't bad before but feels like proper stereo now.
Cons: Midrange is too weak. The door speakers aren't loud enough to compensate.

My theory is we're hitting the limits of replacing just speakers, without changing the actual signals going TO the speakers. Most of the channels out of the Bose are full frequency channels, which means that the drivers are left trying to reproduce everything. The subs go as high as they can, the mids go as low and high as they can, and the tweeters go as low as they can. Hence the caps on the tweeters. It's a lazy design. If the drivers aren't perfect (and what $50 driver is?), you'll hear it because it's not tuned with an active or passive crossover.

The Burmester, on the other hand, has an active crossover as a part of the system, which means the C channel is likely tuned to minimize the ringing. It's likely safe to assume that's the case for all the speakers in the Burm, which would make sense and make it sound far better.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:01 PM
Flygts
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Crossover

You can put a band pass crossover inline with the center channel to tone it down 500hz to 2500hz.
The following users liked this post:
dndodd (06-18-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 05:16 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I just ordered a Burmeister center off eBay. Did you get a new correct connector or cut the original wire?
Old 05-29-2022, 04:45 AM
dynamiceric
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
I just ordered a Burmeister center off eBay. Did you get a new correct connector or cut the original wire?
I don't know about the Burmeister, as I just replaced my center with a Dayton speaker. I just used a soldering iron to remove the factory socket from the OEM BOSE speaker and then just soldered it onto my new Dayton Audio speaker. I would assume if the Burmeister has normal speaker tabs, you should be able to do the same.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:48 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Originally Posted by kvec
I dropped in the Burmester center speaker over the weekend. Just upgrading the C speaker to Burm from Bose made a huge difference in clarity. The lower Ohms show up as a louder center channel. I always felt like the sound was a little left-weighted in the pepper so having a little more oomph in the center is welcome.

Speaker looks good in its spot.

Looking at the speakers next to each other, it's no wonder it sounds so much better. Night and day difference:

@kvec did you cut the wire to go from the Bose center to Burmester or find the correct connectors?

Last edited by lml999; 06-01-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:27 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
I just ordered a Burmester center off eBay. Did you get a new correct connector or cut the original wire?
@Mirrorslap When I replaced my Bose center with a Burmester, I cut the connectors off and swapped them.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:06 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Originally Posted by lml999
@Mirrorslap When I replaced my Bose center with a Burmester, I cut the connectors off and swapped them.
Was everyone's finding that the striped blue wire is Negative on the center channel?

Quick Reply: Easy upgrade for Cayenne 958 Bose tweeters (with a little bit of tech from Ferrari)