Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Easy upgrade for Cayenne 958 Bose tweeters (with a little bit of tech from Ferrari)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 04:21 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by GXAlan
------------------------------------------------
The Tweeter

Ferrari part# 258166
Made in France by Harman

These are CMMD tweeters under JBL Professional badging. Originally developed by the Infinity division of the Harman group, CMMD tweeters are also found in the BMW Harman Kardon sound system (which sound great). They are heavier than the Bose Tweeters.
Just bought a pair of these tweeters, and attached Ferrari 488 grilles, off ebay. I also picked up a Burmeister center speaker. Curious to see how much difference the tweets make.

Not.going.crazy.here. That's a slippery slope I've been down.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:37 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lml999
Just bought a pair of these tweeters, and attached Ferrari 488 grilles, off ebay. I also picked up a Burmeister center speaker. Curious to see how much difference the tweets make.

Not.going.crazy.here. That's a slippery slope I've been down.
it becomes the new norm…
im curious on this center speaker mod, details please
Old 04-07-2022, 06:04 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
it becomes the new norm…
im curious on this center speaker mod, details please
Burmeister center channel speaker is a direct drop in replacement for the OEM driver. I'm *hoping* that it has higher fidelity. I'll do some playing around...

You can buy the Burmeister center channel speaker new for reasonable money, like $75, IIRC... Only difference in the parts listing is the suffix. I think -E is the Burmeister...

[edit] Part number: 7PP035828E

Last edited by lml999; 04-08-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:58 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Burmeister center channel speaker is a direct drop in replacement for the OEM driver. I'm *hoping* that it has higher fidelity. I'll do some playing around...

You can buy the Burmeister center channel speaker new for reasonable money, like $75, IIRC... Only difference in the parts listing is the suffix. I think -E is the Burmeister...
if you know it
part # please
Old 04-08-2022, 02:03 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
if you know it
part # please
Part number is: 7PP035828E

Here you go
Old 04-08-2022, 03:00 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Think I'll break out the sawzall and mount those speakers this weekend...
Old 04-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Neil4speed
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow!! Exciting, I am following closely, I would love to do an improvement to the Bose.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:07 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Installed the Burmeister center speaker and the Ferrari tweets today.

The Burmeister was *not* quite plug and play...it had a different connector than the Bose center speaker. The Ferrari tweeters were indeed plug and play.

I'm not sure I hear much difference with the new center, but that might be source material related. The tweeters, on the other hand, are definitely an upgrade. Highs are just a bit more crisp.

Took 40 minutes for all three, including a search for a needle to try to release the pin connectors so I could swap rather than splice. No go on that. If I did it again, it would take 15 total, including cracking open the Athletic Brewing IPA.

Burmeister mounted in dash

Burmeister versus Bose (upper)

Bose versus Ferrari

Bose versus Ferrari

Bose versus Ferrari

Bose tweeter mounted

Last edited by lml999; 04-09-2022 at 05:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mirrorslap (05-26-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 07:53 PM
Neil4speed
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Amazingly cool. I think I might do a tweeter upgrade after you mentioned it. I am just mildly unsatisfied with the stereo and am looking for something better.

Neil
Old 04-10-2022, 09:55 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Neil4speed
Amazingly cool. I think I might do a tweeter upgrade after you mentioned it. I am just mildly unsatisfied with the stereo and am looking for something better.

Neil
Tweets would be the first step, and an easy one. Everything else is more complicated - door panel removal, custom mounting plates, etc....

Google the Ferrari part numbers; you should find a couple of sources. Make sure that you are getting tweeters and not just the grilles.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:41 AM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

@lml999 Have you noticed any volume difference in the center speaker? I've seen a handful of places people mention the Burm center is 2 Ohm vs. 4 Ohm for the Bose center. Do you get any clipping if you turn it up loud enough for me to hear it up on the North Shore?
Old 04-11-2022, 11:09 AM
kvec
Instructor

Originally Posted by kvec
@lml999 Have you noticed any volume difference in the center speaker? I've seen a handful of places people mention the Burm center is 2 Ohm vs. 4 Ohm for the Bose center. Do you get any clipping if you turn it up loud enough for me to hear it up on the North Shore?
Scratch the second point on clipping. Read that the Bose amp is 2 Ohm-stable. Which makes sense.

Still interested in how the volume balance is working across your front 3 speakers. I have the Burm center + tweets on order and am thinking about doing this next weekend on my 2011 CTT.
Old 04-11-2022, 01:14 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Still interested in how the volume balance is working across your front 3 speakers. I have the Burm center + tweets on order and am thinking about doing this next weekend on my 2011 CTT.
Haven't really stressed the system yet, so I have nothing to report...yet.

Did you order Burmeister tweeters?

Note that the Burmeister center speaker had a different connector than my Bose center. I ended up cutting/splicing, not positive I got the phase correct. Somewhat difficult to determine with a single driver (I can hear when stereo speakers are out of phase.)

Wish there were level controls for each channel...
Old 04-11-2022, 04:55 PM
kvec
Instructor

Did you order Burmeister tweeters?

Note that the Burmeister center speaker had a different connector than my Bose center. I ended up cutting/splicing, not positive I got the phase correct. Somewhat difficult to determine with a single driver (I can hear when stereo speakers are out of phase.)

Wish there were level controls for each channel...
No kidding. That'd make testing much easier. Would do wonders for EQ too.

I ordered the Burm tweeters that go in the rear doors (7PP-035-412-A). They're relatively drop-in, just require light connector trimming and a capacitor to act as a high pass filter. The ones that come from the factory are AMT tweeters and are pricier and a much more involved installation. It sounds like several people have done that and gotten good results.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:56 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Scratch the second point on clipping. Read that the Bose amp is 2 Ohm-stable. Which makes sense.

Did some playing around on the way to the RTS (town dump) this morning. Did you hear it on the North Shore?

No clipping, didn't expect any... balance is pretty good...would like to boost the center just a bit, or maybe I'll back back down the treble one notch, which might do the same thing. Singers are nicely in the music sound stage not out front.

Overall, it sounds quite good (and I'm an audio guy...)

I think this is a *very* cost effective improvement to the Bose sound system. Cost about $300 for the three speakers, and 40 minutes of easy work. Next improvement is some multiple of that in both dollars and time...which is *not* on my to-do list.

Quick Reply: Easy upgrade for Cayenne 958 Bose tweeters (with a little bit of tech from Ferrari)