Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Easy upgrade for Cayenne 958 Bose tweeters (with a little bit of tech from Ferrari)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:26 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ectrader
For those who have done this Ferrari jbl tweeter swap modification replacing the bose tweeter, can you report your experience in ordering, swapping out, and whether the modification was worth it for the improvement in sound quality over stock bose tweeters? Has anyone found a US source for the part?

Thank you
I've been writing for Polish AUDIO magazine for the past 25 years and even had a short car audio stint in my life (even won car audio Pro 600 class back in 1999) - so will let you guys know. I will take out the OE tweeter and will measure both - both on axis and in car.

You can get them probably faster from the Ferrari dealer - my local dealer wanted ~50% more for it.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:21 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi , did you order these already ? i am interested as well
Old 05-16-2018, 04:16 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

very much looking forward to that!

"
I've been writing for Polish AUDIO magazine for the past 25 years and even had a short car audio stint in my life (even won car audio Pro 600 class back in 1999) - so will let you guys know. I will take out the OE tweeter and will measure both - both on axis and in car.

You can get them probably faster from the Ferrari dealer - my local dealer wanted ~50% more for it.
"
Old 05-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Elberoth
Racer

I have ordered mine early March, but haven't received anything yet. It is over 8 weeks now ...
Old 05-18-2018, 06:45 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Update: Scuderia have just shipped me the tweeters. I should have them next week.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:34 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Elberoth
Update: Scuderia have just shipped me the tweeters. I should have them next week.
Elberoth - let me know if you will still part with two sets as we discussed back in March, I’m still interested in buying one from you. Thanks! -Dom
Old 05-19-2018, 03:38 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Yes, they are shipping me 3 pairs (minimal order).
Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Just got the tweeters. They came very well packed - each tweeter is bubble foil wrapped in an oversize box.

I had to order 3 pairs, as the minimum order @ Suderia Car Parts is 250 EUR. I will try to install them during the weekend. 2 pairs are for sale @ 122 EUR per pair.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Just got the tweeters. They came very well packed - each tweeter is bubble foil wrapped in an oversize box.

I had to order 3 pairs, as the minimum order @ Suderia Car Parts is 250 EUR. I will try to install them during the weekend. 2 pairs are for sale @ 122 EUR per pair.

How much extra for shipping to US (Florida)? I will take a pair, as long as us shipping is reasonable. -Dom
Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

You can probably have me to thank for that - We had 2 sets of tweeters come in damaged inside the OEM boxes because there was nothing inside to cushion the small tweeter - it was just packaged in a plastic bag, so despite how well the Ferrari boxes were surrounded by bubble wrap, the tweeters were bouncing around.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
You can probably have me to thank for that - We had 2 sets of tweeters come in damaged inside the OEM boxes because there was nothing inside to cushion the small tweeter - it was just packaged in a plastic bag, so despite how well the Ferrari boxes were surrounded by bubble wrap, the tweeters were bouncing around.
After reading your post, I started examining the tweeters closely, and indeed 5 out of 6 tweeters have small dents on aluminium dome:

In real life, those dents will have no influence on the performance of the tweeter, but still - it is my understanding that I have paid full price for an A- stock units, not some half price B-stock ones.

I doubt this is a shipping damage (the tweeter came double boxed and bubble foil wrapped). To me it looks like either lousy QC at the factory that makes them (they are made in Hungary) or improper handling prior boxing the tweeters into individual boxes.

Drive units damaged like this would not pass on a home loudspeaker. In a car they are hidden, so esthetic side is not really a problem.

I've sent an email to Scuderia asking for advice. If they decide to give me a discount, I will probably keep them as this kind of damage does not have an effect on performance. If not - well, I will probably ask for a refund.

Last edited by Elberoth; 05-22-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:30 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

After reading your post, I started examining the tweeters closely, and indeed 5 out of 6 tweeters have small dents on aluminium dome:

In real life, those dents will have no influence on the performance of the tweeter,
You're probably right..

Last edited by Eskimo1; 02-28-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Believe me, it will not, one yota. I don't have the time to explain it here now. We have tested and measured over 4000 home audio speakers, from $500 to $200.000. I have also visited ALL major drive units manufacturers (Focal, Scan Speak/Vifa/Pearless, Dynaudio, Jamo etc.) and I have talked to people who design those drive units.

I have even made Scan Speak R&D manager Lars Goller design me a special mid-bass drive units, for my championship winning car (car audio championschips) back in the late 90s ... long story.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Elberoth
Racer

I have measured today the stock BOSE system frequency range, using my calibrated iTestMic microphone and AudioTools app. The mic was placed on a tripod on driver's seat - on the normal head level.

On the flat system settings (Bass = 0, Treble = 0) BOSE system has way too much bass (green curve). There is also a pronounced peak treble centered @ 10k:

The Bass -2 and Tweeter = 0 settings (orange curve) produced a more balanced curve, without that big bass bump. After some listening to my usuall test tracks, I ended up with Bass -2 and Treble -1 settings which sounded by far most natural.

BTW, for those not familiar with target frequency range curves - the perfect (most natural sounding) curve measured at your listening position is not the one which is flat, but the one which has a downward slope (If you equalise your system to sound flat @ your listening position, it will sound way too bright - too much high freq energy).

Here is a reference B&K target curve for reference:

I can only hope the new tweeter will not mess up the system frequency range - there will be no devastating peaks or dips and the output level will stay the same. Please not that the system FR is only one of MANY parameters that determine system sound quality (in other words: system can have a perfect FR and still sound like crap).
Old 05-24-2018, 02:02 AM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

Your test setup measured exactly what my ears tell me in my '14 with the BOSE - too much low bass and too little between 2k - 4k which shows up as reduced volume on vocals, particularly with high pitched vocals. Do you think the new tweeters will have an effect between 2k - 7k? It doesn't seem like we need much extra above 10k.

Is there any other way to improve the performance in the 2k - 7k band to help with vocals?

By the way, I had a '17 Cayenne S for a few weeks with BOSE and the new PCM 4 and it was noticeably better sounding than the PCM 3.X in the 2016 and earlier cars......wish I could easily drop that in!

I have measured today the stock BOSE system frequency range, using my calibrated iTestMic microphone and AudioTools app. The mic was placed on a tripod on driver's seat - on the normal head level.

On the flat system settings (Bass = 0, Treble = 0) BOSE system has way too much bass (green curve). There is also a pronounced peak treble centered @ 10k:

Quick Reply: Easy upgrade for Cayenne 958 Bose tweeters (with a little bit of tech from Ferrari)