Sponsored By:

dash top chrono/clock harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:45 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by akumatz

hi I have just installed my clock, but the time of the clock doesn’t follow the exact time, it’s 5 pm at my place now, but the clock is show at 12, is there any one know why would this happened?
thanks a lot
I seem to recall having to enable the clock on my turbo.. I may have done that with my iCarScan diagnostics tool... or it might be a setting under vehicle settings on the PCM. And I think you need to set the time zone for your vehicle in the PCM..
Old 11-18-2018, 01:56 AM
akumatz
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I seem to recall having to enable the clock on my turbo.. I may have done that with my iCarScan diagnostics tool... or it might be a setting under vehicle settings on the PCM. And I think you need to set the time zone for your vehicle in the PCM..
thanks for replying, i bought this second clock from China, it’s the exact time different between China and New Zealand, I have changed the GMT+12 to where I’m living but the dash clock still 5 hour behind. Maybe the dash clock has been programmed to follow the China GMT time? Do you know is there any how I can change it?
Old 11-18-2018, 02:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

thanks for replying, i bought this second clock from China, it’s the exact time different between China and New Zealand, I have changed the GMT+12 to where I’m living but the dash clock still 5 hour behind. Maybe the dash clock has been programmed to follow the China GMT time? Do you know is there any how I can change it?
There is no programming within the clock itself that I know of. When you power on and the clock does it's dance - do both hands end up @ 12 before heading back to indicate the time? I'm uncertain if the hour hand is actually indexed to the hour, or simply set XX hours from the 12 noon calibration position on startup. If I could figure out how to video it on my car (since I think it does it when the door is opened) I'd show you what I mean.. Let me go look..

Just tried - the clock starts it's dance when the door opens. I've left a window down so maybe I can catch it once the car goes to sleep again.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:13 AM
akumatz
8th Gear

There is no programming within the clock itself that I know of. When you power on and the clock does it's dance - do both hands end up @ 12 before heading back to indicate the time? I'm uncertain if the hour hand is actually indexed to the hour, or simply set XX hours from the 12 noon calibration position on startup. If I could figure out how to video it on my car (since I think it does it when the door is opened) I'd show you what I mean.. Let me go look..

Just tried - the clock starts it's dance when the door opens. I've left a window down so maybe I can catch it once the car goes to sleep again.
Thanks for doing this, does your clock back to 12 when the car sleep? I see mine is staying at 7pm when the car goes sleep.I'm thinking is there some thing relating with the gps signal? I don’t have NAV in my car because I imported it from uk to nz.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Thanks for doing this, does your clock back to 12 when the car sleep? I see mine is staying at 7pm when the car goes sleep.I'm thinking is there some thing relating with the gps signal? I don’t have NAV in my car because I imported it from uk to nz.
No - it does the 12 o'clock thing on car boot-up.. it just stops whatever the time is when the computers shut down about 15 minutes after the last access to the car.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:15 AM
akumatz
8th Gear

No - it does the 12 o'clock thing on car boot-up.. it just stops whatever the time is when the computers shut down about 15 minutes after the last access to the car.
the funny things is my one always back to 7 o’clock when the car goes to sleep, maybe there is something wrong wiv the clock I got.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:29 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Have you tried moving the hour hand manually (clock disconnected of course) - it's on a stepper motor independent from the minute hand I think. I believe mine was 1 hour off when I first installed it..
Old 11-21-2018, 01:11 AM
akumatz
8th Gear

Have you tried moving the hour hand manually (clock disconnected of course) - it's on a stepper motor independent from the minute hand I think. I believe mine was 1 hour off when I first installed it..
Do I need to open the back of the clock to move the hour hand..if so maybe I will just leave it like this till when I able to get a new one in the future..many thanks for helping me a lot.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Do I need to open the back of the clock to move the hour hand..if so maybe I will just leave it like this till when I able to get a new one in the future..many thanks for helping me a lot.
No - the front bezel/glass unscrews. It's easier to do if you remove the clock from the panel it's mounted in - and that only takes about 5 minutes to do.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:23 AM
akumatz
8th Gear

No - the front bezel/glass unscrews. It's easier to do if you remove the clock from the panel it's mounted in - and that only takes about 5 minutes to do.
Finally it works, I have turned the hour hand manually, now I can see the clock dance correctly. Thanks so much for helping me all of these..
Old 11-22-2018, 12:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Glad to have been of help! Happy chrono!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:46 PM
Samer Al-Wakeel
4th Gear

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
After receiving my PosiTap connectors from Amazon Prime on Wednesday (per Don's strong recommendation), I installed my dash clock last night. I have to say that with the CORRECT tools and the great instructions from Don, Roders and Speederman, this was a pretty straightforward process. I did YouTube "Cayenne Vent Removal" just to see how it's done, but other than that and following the wiring map from Roders this was pretty easy DIY. In fact, the Cayman wiring harness wiring colors matched up 100% with the Cayenne PCM harness, so that was even easier than I expected. With all the OEM pieces in hand (see my previous post), all I needed was some additional 18 gauge wire to extend the Cayman wiring harness, 4 PosiLocks to firmly connect the 18g wire to the 22g Cayman wires, 2 medium PosiTaps (to tap into the 22g PCM data lines) and 2 medium-large PosiTaps to tap into the 16g Power and Ground wires. For anyone doing this, the Posi products are a GREAT solution for this installation as they're easy to use and make a really great connection (both the locks and the taps). And DEFINITLEY use a big *** towel as Don suggested to cover the center console and shift assembly as the PCM is heavy and a bit awkward once you pull it out to work on the wiring harness.

Once I had everything wired up, I plugged in the clock and much to my delight I saw the clock hands swing around and set to the correct, PCM-matched time. Initially, I didn't get the additional "Time-Chrono" PCM menu item, but that appeared this morning after my commute in (about 35 minutes). The backlit feature works as well, so it's good to go and didn't require any additional menu selections. Here are a few pics of each step, including the wiring into the back of the PCM, plus the obligatory "Before & After" pics

hi
i just followed this procedure step by step but the back light did not work any idea how to fix it
Old 11-24-2018, 03:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Samer Al-Wakeel

hi
i just followed this procedure step by step but the back light did not work any idea how to fix it
The compass (aka clock actually) has to be enabled. I seem to recall using iCarScan to do that - but it might have been in the PCM menu. Until I did that there was no lighting on the clock.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:32 PM
Samer Al-Wakeel
4th Gear

Hello,

thank you Don for your support. however, could you please give me more details about iCarScan cause i don't know what is it and how can i do it on my cayenne 958.

Also, is it possible to do the required aka enabling using normal diagnostic computers available on specialized Porsche dealers (work shops). If so, please tell me how to do it.

Thank you once again.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:03 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Samer Al-Wakeel
Hello,

thank you Don for your support. however, could you please give me more details about iCarScan cause i don't know what is it and how can i do it on my cayenne 958.

Also, is it possible to do the required aka enabling using normal diagnostic computers available on specialized Porsche dealers (work shops). If so, please tell me how to do it.

Thank you once again.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ble-again.html

I can't speak about other brand diagnostic computers since I haven't had them to play with. I'm sure the computer (PIWIS) the Porsche dealer has is capable of doing this.

Quick Reply: dash top chrono/clock harness