Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thoughts on Cayenne S (Lots of options)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 04:32 AM
sh06
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thoughts on Cayenne S (Lots of options)

Hey Ya'll.
New here and I've been on the hunt for a Cayenne S. During my hunt, I came across a 2016 Cayenne S for sale with the following options:
  • BASE Cayenne S
  • 0P8 Sport Exhaust System
  • 1BK Air Suspension with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
  • 1D6 Trailer hitch without tow ball
  • 1NP Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
  • 1Y1 Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
  • 2D1 SportDesign package with side skirts
  • 3FU Panoramic Roof System
  • 3S1 Roof Rails in Aluminum Finish
  • 3Y7 Power Sunblind for Rear Side Windows
  • 4A4 Seat Heating (Front and Rear)
  • 4D3 Seat Ventilation (Front)
  • 4F6 Porsche Entry & Drive
  • 5J2 Roof Spoiler Separation Edge Painted in Exterior Color
  • 5MP Dark Walnut Interior Package
  • 6Q7 Gear Selector in Aluminum
  • 7G9 Porsche Car Connect
  • 7X8 ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera
  • 7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA)
  • 8EY LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
  • 8SI Tinted LED Taillights
  • 9VL BOSE® Surround Sound System
  • C7 Moonlight Blue Metallic
  • FI7 Seat Belts in Cohiba Brown
  • G1G 8-speed Tiptronic S
  • GZ2 Soft Close Doors
  • LH Leather Interior in Black/Cohiba Brown
  • PA2 Automatically Dimming Mirrors i.c.w. Memory Package
  • PE5 Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
  • PJU Infotainment Package w/ HD Radio
  • PP6 Comfort Lighting Package i.c.w. Memory Package
  • QR5 Sport Chrono Package
  • U02 21" Sport Classic Wheels with Wheel Arch Extensions
  • VW5 Thermally and Noise Insulated Privacy Glass
I found it interesting that all these were optioned separately and not into a premium plus package or similar. I've seen "show cars" or press cars with similar builds so I'm curious if this was originally something of the sort even though it's not list as such via the vin.

Now with all that said, the owner is asking $34k with 60k miles. What are ya'lls thoughts? I know the air suspension can be an expensive item if it goes, but value wise I haven't seen many S with this type of build.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:29 AM
gonzoe11
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

That's a solid list of options. This is essentially a GTS with extras. I wouldn't worry too much about the air suspension but maintenance history is pretty important. Drive it and get a PPI, if everything checks out, go for it. Sounds like an awesome spec and the price seems inline.
The following users liked this post:
will_atl (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 03:12 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

@sh06 Sweet build. If you're looking for an S...

CPO would be the icing on the cake.

Barring that, you can add a Fidelity Platinum (or similar) warranty to cover pretty much everything. Mine cost $8K for 4/48K coverage.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:12 PM
sh06
Track Day

Originally Posted by gonzoe11
That's a solid list of options. This is essentially a GTS with extras. I wouldn't worry too much about the air suspension but maintenance history is pretty important. Drive it and get a PPI, if everything checks out, go for it. Sounds like an awesome spec and the price seems inline.
Owner has full service history so that's a plus. We'll see how it goes!

Originally Posted by lml999
@sh06 Sweet build. If you're looking for an S...

CPO would be the icing on the cake.

Barring that, you can add a Fidelity Platinum (or similar) warranty to cover pretty much everything. Mine cost $8K for 4/48K coverage.
CPO would be great, but from my understanding, CPO would be a max of 4 years old when I spoke to a Porsche sales rep. I'm in contact with one of the fellows on here about Freedom warranty as well as Fidelity.

I've also read mixed reviews on the thermal and sound glass being more brittle or prone to cracks. Would probably need to check with my insurance and see what they cover, those greedy punks,
Highline-Autos.com (05-21-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 08:42 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by sh06
CPO would be great, but from my understanding, CPO would be a max of 4 years old when I spoke to a Porsche sales rep,
False
Old 05-20-2024, 10:05 PM
JamesN
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

They are out there. My '17 CS has similar options minus the air suspension. I do have the adaptive cruise. Check to see if transfer case has been replaced as a 2016 may be out of the extended warranty for TC replacement.

Jim
'17 CS
35K miles

Old 05-21-2024, 01:09 AM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

That is a juicy option list. Take it for a test drive. Drive it like you stole it. (I mean it. Wait for both coolant and oil to warm up. Then find a curvy mountain road, set it to sport chassis, low level, press sport plus and watch out for cops) If it has any problems it will break down during the test drive. If it doesn’t break down, take it home and congratulations

I’d +1 the extended warranty, at some point you’ll need a transfer case replacement.

To sum up the Cayenne S weak points:
  • Transfer case. Even the new design fails at some point, it just lasts longer.
  • Coolant hose connectors are a ticking time bomb (easy fix, luckily)
  • Coils and plugs will give out at 50-60k miles and car will misfire. (Actually the coils are basically a wear item on the 4.8L V8, don’t know about the newer V6TT but I guess it’s similar)
  • Lambda sensor will give out around the same, the result is slightly higher fuel consumption and a check engine light that you can live with.
  • Cowl drains get plugged up, you can snake them open DIY.
  • If you daily drive it at low height, you’ll be buying new tires every year. The thing weighs 5000 lbs.

If I missed anything feel free to add. Congratulations on the new car

Last edited by ozzythething; 05-21-2024 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:17 AM
sh06
Track Day

Originally Posted by Kigiin
False
Well. The more you know.
Originally Posted by JamesN
They are out there. My '17 CS has similar options minus the air suspension. I do have the adaptive cruise. Check to see if transfer case has been replaced as a 2016 may be out of the extended warranty for TC replacement.

Jim
'17 CS
35K miles
The transfer case has been one of the main questions I ask when looking at different C. 35K miles for your 17 is low!
Originally Posted by ozzythething
That is a juicy option list. Take it for a test drive. Drive it like you stole it. (I mean it. Wait for both coolant and oil to warm up. Then find a curvy mountain road, set it to sport chassis, low level, press sport plus and watch out for cops) If it has any problems it will break down during the test drive. If it doesn’t break down, take it home and congratulations

I’d +1 the extended warranty, at some point you’ll need a transfer case replacement.

To sum up the Cayenne S weak points:
  • Transfer case. Even the new design fails at some point, it just lasts longer.
  • Coolant hose connectors are a ticking time bomb (easy fix, luckily)
  • Coils and plugs will give out at 50-60k miles and car will misfire. (Actually the coils are basically a wear item on the 4.8L V8, don’t know about the newer V6TT but I guess it’s similar)
  • Lambda sensor will give out around the same, the result is slightly higher fuel consumption and a check engine light that you can live with.
  • Cowl drains get plugged up, you can snake them open DIY.
  • If you daily drive it at low height, you’ll be buying new tires every year. The thing weighs 5000 lbs.

If I missed anything feel free to add. Congratulations on the new car
Definitely going to get me a warranty with all those options! I originally was looking at the hybrid but knowing how expensive that whole system is to fix or replace plus the fact that warranties (minus maybe one from Porsche) don't cover the hybrid system, I decided to go with good ol' gasoline.
Well laid out weak point list! Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 05-21-2024, 08:41 AM
NKCowboy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Ya'll.
New here and I've been on the hunt for a Cayenne S. During my hunt, I came across a 2016 Cayenne S for sale with the following options:
  • BASE Cayenne S
  • 0P8 Sport Exhaust System
  • 1BK Air Suspension with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
  • 1D6 Trailer hitch without tow ball
  • 1NP Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
  • 1Y1 Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
  • 2D1 SportDesign package with side skirts
  • 3FU Panoramic Roof System
  • 3S1 Roof Rails in Aluminum Finish
  • 3Y7 Power Sunblind for Rear Side Windows
  • 4A4 Seat Heating (Front and Rear)
  • 4D3 Seat Ventilation (Front)
  • 4F6 Porsche Entry & Drive
  • 5J2 Roof Spoiler Separation Edge Painted in Exterior Color
  • 5MP Dark Walnut Interior Package
  • 6Q7 Gear Selector in Aluminum
  • 7G9 Porsche Car Connect
  • 7X8 ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera
  • 7Y1 Lane Change Assist (LCA)
  • 8EY LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
  • 8SI Tinted LED Taillights
  • 9VL BOSE® Surround Sound System
  • C7 Moonlight Blue Metallic
  • FI7 Seat Belts in Cohiba Brown
  • G1G 8-speed Tiptronic S
  • GZ2 Soft Close Doors
  • LH Leather Interior in Black/Cohiba Brown
  • PA2 Automatically Dimming Mirrors i.c.w. Memory Package
  • PE5 Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
  • PJU Infotainment Package w/ HD Radio
  • PP6 Comfort Lighting Package i.c.w. Memory Package
  • QR5 Sport Chrono Package
  • U02 21" Sport Classic Wheels with Wheel Arch Extensions
  • VW5 Thermally and Noise Insulated Privacy Glass
I found it interesting that all these were optioned separately and not into a premium plus package or similar. I've seen "show cars" or press cars with similar builds so I'm curious if this was originally something of the sort even though it's not list as such via the vin.

Now with all that said, the owner is asking $34k with 60k miles. What are ya'lls thoughts? I know the air suspension can be an expensive item if it goes, but value wise I haven't seen many S with this type of build.

That option list is unusually long. But adaptive cruise and the Burmester sound system would add confort and pleasure to long cruises. Maybe that kills the deal, but keep in mind that it is darn near impossible to have all the options if you are buying secondhand.
Good luck!

Last edited by NKCowboy; 05-21-2024 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:30 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 555 Likes on 408 Posts

Owner has full service history so that's a plus. We'll see how it goes!

I'm in contact with one of the fellows on here about Freedom warranty as well as Fidelity.

I've also read mixed reviews on the thermal and sound glass being more brittle or prone to cracks. Would probably need to check with my insurance and see what they cover, those greedy punks,
That would be me! I saw transfer case mentioned here as well, both Fidelity and Freedom warranty providers cover replacement of the transfer case.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 05-21-2024, 05:25 PM
NKCowboy
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have never heard of issues with the double-glazed glass. I would have thought it would be less brittle, or at least harder to smash!

I have this upgraded glass on my 2015 CTTS. Makes for a quiet truck.

Last edited by NKCowboy; 05-21-2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 06:26 PM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NKCowboy
That option list is unusually long. But adaptive cruise and the Burmester sound system would add confort and pleasure to long cruises. Maybe that kills the deal, but keep in mind that it is darn near impossible to have all the options if you are buying secondhand.
Good luck!
Are Bose and Burmester really that different? I have bose, never listened to the Burmester.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:08 AM
sh06
Track Day

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
That would be me! I saw transfer case mentioned here as well, both Fidelity and Freedom warranty providers cover replacement of the transfer case.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777
Hey! Indeed it is! You'll be hearing from me soon enough.

Originally Posted by NKCowboy
I have never heard of issues with the double-glazed glass. I would have thought it would be less brittle, or at least harder to smash!

I have this upgraded glass on my 2015 CTTS. Makes for a quiet truck.
Like I said, it's been mixed with some with no issues and others who wouldn't order this option again. Also has to do with where you live and the roads.

Originally Posted by ozzythething
Are Bose and Burmester really that different? I have bose, never listened to the Burmester.
Honestly, Bose isn't that great if you're into audio. I think they were able to dominate the auto market early and it's easy for automakers to use them as an upgrade option.
Highline-Autos.com (05-24-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 02:37 AM
sh06
Track Day

Thought I would share an update. I posted in the official photo thread, but since I started this thread...

I brought her home about a month ago now and it's been mostly smooth sailing. Discovered bubbles in the tire so I had to replace one tire and fortunately, all tires were still relatively new so no need to replace the others. I just learned about Porsche's sensitive all wheel drive requiring to replace all tires etc etc.
Other than that, got it detailed and next I'm going to swap the TC fluid for good measure.

The following 2 users liked this post by sh06:
coletrain (07-21-2024), Trio (07-09-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

Love the interior!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Cayenne S (Lots of options)