Sponsored By:

Not a great way to start the day

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 11:32 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Not a great way to start the day

Someone making a left pulled out in front of me.
Old 07-17-2023, 11:37 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Getting checked out at the ER now. Other driver issued ticket for failing to yield. Air bags, wheel and knee, deployed. Bystander caught it on phone but won't post it until I talk to my attorney. Looks like left wheel was pushed back. Didn't try to drive it.
Old 07-17-2023, 01:05 PM
bowtie
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Well that sucks on a Monday morning.
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 01:15 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

glad you are getting checked out at ER. Even with the passive and active safety/crash systems we have, the active crash protection systems are pretty violent.
wkearney99 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 02:12 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

No concussion or anything broken. Got a nasty abrasion on my right hand near the base/back of the thumb. Hand must have slammed past the wheel (think knee burns from a gym floor). Left hand I think was smacked outward by the airbag and against the door. I literally did not see the bags open/deploy AT ALL. And there were deflated before I even had a change to move. No burns or anything. They smell AWFUL when the go off. For a few minutes I wondered if something electrical was on fire, it smelled that bad. Obviously the bags deploy faster than we can see, still is was a surprise. Left knee also took a whack against the door. I'm tall and I think my head either hit the ceiling or the visor. I've had that happen in an accident before (in a different vehicle). Neck muscle pains unfortunately, up near the base of the skull, so slight left/right/up/down gives some discomfort.

The really aggravating thing is I love the color/options I put together on it. The current colors and models just don't appeal to me. And to have to wait for months again to get something ordered will only add to the aggravation.

What's the shortest lease they do on these? That might be a good option to tide me over until I find a replacement. I just do not want to deal with driving around some rental piece of crap in the meantime.
CAVU (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 02:40 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,993 Likes on 1,775 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident. Never had a bag deploy on me but I’ve heard it’s a violent occurrence.
wishing you the best on healing up. Glad you’re ok and chiming in with the members and try to get a little diminished value on your collection process.

wkearney99 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 02:41 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

A funny aside was while taking our kid to camp on Sunday he passed the time using the porsche website to build out a ridiculously optioned Taycan, and managed to get it up to $270k msrp.

I'd be tempted to consider a Cross or Sport Turismo Taycan but haven't yet seen one to get a feel for it's cargo capacity. Heh, the builder tells me it'd run me $175k optioned-up for one in paint-to-sample Nogoru blue metallic (no sapphire offered, dang it). $13k is ridiculous enough for PTS.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:45 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Sorry to hear about the accident. Never had a bag deploy on me but I’ve heard it’s a violent occurrence.
wishing you the best on healing up. Glad you’re ok and chiming in with the members and try to get a little diminished value on your collection process.
My attorney for this handles these sorts of things regularly (for others) and he's apprised me on things like diminished value.

I've had every intention of keeping the '17 GTS until the wheels fell off, so it'll be really annoying getting hit with the realities of depreciation and such. Especially if they total it (won't know on that for a few days I guess).
Old 07-17-2023, 03:22 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Important take away is that you seem unhurt.

Diminished value? Hope it doesn't happen to you like it did to me with an Audi RS5... Market price was $40K at the time (used), repair estimate came in at $22K, but if it was more money, then I'd have to pay for it out of pocket, or take the check for $25K and be done with it. Took the check even though it was nothing compared to market price. Person who bought it off the insurance company is still dealing with issues on that car...
The following 2 users liked this post by Gus B.:
TXCOMT (07-21-2023), wkearney99 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 04:07 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

@wkearney99 So sorry to see this. Such a beautiful Cayenne.

Buy yourself something fun to tide yourself over. Maybe a 2003 Boxster S or a 2015 A8L.

Seriously...don't put money into a long term rental (lease) if you're going to be searching for a replacement. Get something you'll enjoy so that you don't feel rushed.

Boxster might not be the ideal place for you to fold your bruised bones into...

...or...if you do need to lease, consider taking over an existing lease. Swapalease.com might have something interesting, and you can largely select your own term...(based on what's outstanding).

Last edited by lml999; 07-17-2023 at 04:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lml999:
TXCOMT (07-21-2023), wkearney99 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 04:14 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 94 Posts

Don't be scared to go back to doctor if you have some effects in next few days. I felt fine after a crash and then a couple days later my hip joint and lower back started killing me. Went to ortho and had some serious soft tissue stuff that took 3-4 months of PT to get better. Sometimes the soft tissue stuff takes a couple days to show up.
wkearney99 (07-17-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 06:50 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

The other guy:

You can just barely make out a sapphire blue smear on the hood.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:52 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpru2001
Don't be scared to go back to doctor if you have some effects in next few days. I felt fine after a crash and then a couple days later my hip joint and lower back started killing me. Went to ortho and had some serious soft tissue stuff that took 3-4 months of PT to get better. Sometimes the soft tissue stuff takes a couple days to show up.
Yep, have a call tomorrow with attorney then off to appt with my ortho guy. As they both said "whatever hurts today will definitely hurt worse tomorrow".. and I'm getting there. No fun, but at least I'm alive to kvetch about it.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:05 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lml999
@wkearney99 So sorry to see this. Such a beautiful Cayenne.

Buy yourself something fun to tide yourself over. Maybe a 2003 Boxster S or a 2015 A8L.

Seriously...don't put money into a long term rental (lease) if you're going to be searching for a replacement. Get something you'll enjoy so that you don't feel rushed.

Boxster might not be the ideal place for you to fold your bruised bones into...

...or...if you do need to lease, consider taking over an existing lease. Swapalease.com might have something interesting, and you can largely select your own term...(based on what's outstanding).
Good point about not rushing anything. We've got an annual long trip we take coming up in a few weeks and I really don't want to do the drive in some crappy rental. The Cayenne has been soooo nice for past trips. My back gives me zero pain even after many hours driving.

I still have need for the passenger and cargo capacity of the Cayenne, so a switch to a coupe isn't on the immediate horizon. If I make the jump to something else new, from current models, I suppose I'd be tempted to consider the Taycan Turismo. Did a test seating in one today.. well, let's just say it's less awkward than getting in/out of a coupe, but not as easy as the Cayenne. The Macan rear seating just doesn't cut it and the cargo isn't really much bigger than the Turismo.

If I order new it's 8 months for delivery. The dealer would work with me on a 12 month lease. Though I really don't love the new generation Cayenne, '24 even less than the '23.

The next step will be getting repair/total decisions from the insurance company. I'd very much like to avoid totaling it, and not just of being sentimental. Maryland is less favorable, dollar-wise, if it's totaled. I fully intend to have my guy be like a 'dog on an ear' to get as much proper compensation as possible.

Good suggestion on the lease sites, I'll have to poke around.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:55 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

porsche finance has 12mon/15k mile lease option...I'd take that if you wanted a cayenne short term
The following 2 users liked this post by geetee:
RhinoComp (07-18-2023), wkearney99 (07-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Not a great way to start the day