Sponsored By:

Clock/chrono Second Hand Stem Diameter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 05:01 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Thanks for the reply…..looks bowed to me. I guess the three times the car has been in the sun for a few hours,…
I REALLY don’t want to go after the thing twice, but like all good things some take practice…..I’ll order a hand asap. Finally my watchmaking skills will be put to use alongside my mechanic skills, not helped whatsoever by my eyes these days.
ha! I broke out my wife’s reading glasses for assistance. I’m sure you’ve already found the info (but just in case for others future reference): the stock second hand bows when exposed to heat. Eventually, it bows enough to cause interference with the hour hand. The latter then pops off the former (still intact).
  • Glue could work (especially if coupled with snipping), but I don’t have the heart to glue something in a watch movement
  • snipping enough off the tip to prevent interference and reduce bowing should work
  • installing a non-bowing replacement hand (as here) should work
Enjoy!
Old 07-18-2023, 06:25 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

How short on that clip??
I recall 1/8"??

Glue is a nono, especially the stuff I have in my shop, as its likely to damage something it touches......
Old 07-18-2023, 11:53 PM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FormerRotor
O
Demon: Is your micrometer like mine where it tends to deviate 2-3/100ths after each use unless Re-zeroed? I’m sure you’re going to print something cool but in case you wanted to try a metal hand for now: With a quick snip to length, this 1.30mm hour hand may https://www.esslinger.com/watch-hand...e-size-1-30mm/
You may also want to order one of the 1.35 options just in case:
https://www.esslinger.com/watch-hands-to-fit-minute-hand-hole-sizes-80mm-85mm-and-hour-hand-hole-size-1-35mm/
https://www.esslinger.com/watch-hands-to-fit-minute-hand-hole-size-75mm-and-hour-hand-hole-size-1-35mm/

If you go with the sweep (stick) style rather than the pointy (Dauphine) style, I have a matching second (in your case minute) hand leftover that I can mail you. Just PM me your address & it’s on the way.
I use a set of Mitutoyo Micrometers which were given to me back when i worked in aerospace manufacturing so they received annual calibrations back and never had any issues. They are expensive, but worth knowing you can trust the measurement every time.

Apologies I haven't got any updates at the moment. Work and home life have been busy so not had a chance to further refine the design or even print yet, but hoping to have a test print done this week and report back!

Thanks all for the support.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:48 AM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

1 set of extra hands on their way “down under”, @oz968 !
Gottem Mike......woo hoo.!!
I haven't looked at it yet as I had a full social calendar over the weekend.
Will take a look thru the week.
Appreciated man.
Peter
The following users liked this post:
FormerRotor (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 07:03 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oz968
Gottem......woo hoo.!!
Appreciated man.
That worked out well! Enjoy!

Last edited by FormerRotor; 08-08-2023 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
oz968 (08-08-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 11:58 PM
evilcorgi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just realized that my 970.2’s minute hand is loose, and hanging down at 6 O’clock position and is being knocked every time the second hand goes by. Here for the tips on the source for the minute hand.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:01 AM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by evilcorgi
Just realized that my 970.2’s minute hand is loose, and hanging down at 6 O’clock position and is being knocked every time the second hand goes by. Here for the tips on the source for the minute hand.
Its all above and thanks to Mike.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:56 PM
evilcorgi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oz968
Its all above and thanks to Mike.
Thanks for the reply! I see that you linked the hour hands of 1.3mm and 1.35mm options. But I guess I’m not sure whether the length of the hands would be compatible. The second hand you linked above has the length of 7mm, but the hour hand options have longer options only if I were to match the dauphine style.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:39 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilcorgi
Thanks for the reply! I see that you linked the hour hands of 1.3mm and 1.35mm options. But I guess I’m not sure whether the length of the hands would be compatible. The second hand you linked above has the length of 7mm, but the hour hand options have longer options only if I were to match the dauphine style.
Did you figure this one out, @evilcorgi ? My suggestion would be to take the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" approach and only replace the minute hand. If replacing both, a longer baton-style (stick) hand would be really easy to trim to whatever lengths you'd like without looking awkward (as a dauphine-style hand may if clipped short). Regardless: Let us know how it turns out & be sure to post up your findings/part numbers!
Old 09-18-2023, 06:35 PM
cgotterba
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those results do look slick - I like the hand design/red detail. Do you know which seller it was? even if he doesn't share the size I might want to use him (couldn't find him searching on ebay).

That, @TMC. , is a deal. Given the prevalence of the issue I was amazed I couldn’t find the post diameter on forums anywhere but we’ll figure it out if no one else chimes in.

I found an eBay seller doing pretty slick rebuilds (below) and asked them for the info and/or if they’d be willing to sell second hands only. I completely understand why they wouldn’t send this info, but it’s worth a shot.

I like your approach, @twodollardoug . I took a similar (albeit slightly riskier) one for a temporary fix (sans superglue): heated the factory plastic hand and added a slight twist to relieve the stress/swelling when hot (below). So far so good, but I’d love to swap it out to a more rigid (possibly metal, although this will reduce the backlit feature at night) needle and give others the option to select their own style in the future as they please (finally putting the issue to an open-source end if no one else has already done so). Attractive small chrono sweeps are fairly easy to source and would be a cakewalk to install as long as we get the post dimension right.

Old 12-20-2023, 01:51 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

excellent thread thks
Old 07-27-2024, 04:07 PM
konrad h1
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

@DemonBG did you ever settle on a source or part numbers for the 991 sport chrono? My needles just fell off and looking to replace them. My measurements are similar to yours for the hole -
0.37mm minute hand - 10mm
1.31mm hour hand - 8.5mm

Help with sourcing parts would be appreciated from anyone!
Old 07-30-2024, 10:03 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Ha, the other day I look over and what do I see? well, nothing, the second hand's fallen off. Nice to have a solution to work with. Esslinger away! ...now to track down some phosphorescent white paint.
Old 08-10-2024, 05:50 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Esslinger metal second hand with phosphorescent white paint. Alls well and the plastic second hand extracted.

Quick Reply: Clock/chrono Second Hand Stem Diameter