Sponsored By:

Clock/chrono Second Hand Stem Diameter

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 12:37 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Clock/chrono Second Hand Stem Diameter

Hello all! I’ll start by saying that I’ve searched extensively to no avail, but please feel free to call me names and direct me to the previously posted information if this is a repeat thread.

I’ve come across a number of threads regarding remounting the second hand on the Cayenne/Panamera clock, but have yet to see any detailed information regarding a permanent fix using a different hand (other than the Paragon hands which are no longer available or the homemade 3D printed variety). The only real information we should need to source/print whatever second hand we would like (plastic, metal, etc) would be the post diameter for the chrono second hand on the Porsche Cayenne/Panamera clock.

Does anyone have the post diameter for the second hand handy? If not, I will see if my local watch repair shop has a micrometer which will fit inside to measure it up. A cheap micrometer can be purchased at Harbour Freight, but I suspect these will have a hard time reaching the post while still mounted in the dial.

Thank you.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:21 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

You and I are on the same page. I'm in a different car every time I'm near the place I'd take it to.
One of us will figure it out.
The following users liked this post:
FormerRotor (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 04:12 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

I snipped about an 1/8 of an inch off (the long end that curls up) with fingernail clippers, put a dab of super glue in the center and pressed it back on. Problem solved.
techi14 (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 11:02 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMC.
You and I are on the same page. I'm in a different car every time I'm near the place I'd take it to.
One of us will figure it out.
That, @TMC. , is a deal. Given the prevalence of the issue I was amazed I couldn’t find the post diameter on forums anywhere but we’ll figure it out if no one else chimes in.

I found an eBay seller doing pretty slick rebuilds (below) and asked them for the info and/or if they’d be willing to sell second hands only. I completely understand why they wouldn’t send this info, but it’s worth a shot.

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I snipped about an 1/8 of an inch off (the long end that curls up) with fingernail clippers, put a dab of super glue in the center and pressed it back on. Problem solved.
I like your approach, @twodollardoug . I took a similar (albeit slightly riskier) one for a temporary fix (sans superglue): heated the factory plastic hand and added a slight twist to relieve the stress/swelling when hot (below). So far so good, but I’d love to swap it out to a more rigid (possibly metal, although this will reduce the backlit feature at night) needle and give others the option to select their own style in the future as they please (finally putting the issue to an open-source end if no one else has already done so). Attractive small chrono sweeps are fairly easy to source and would be a cakewalk to install as long as we get the post dimension right.

Old 07-19-2022, 09:30 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Just ordered a cheap caliper-style micrometer that claims to be accurate to 0.01mm. We shall see.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:10 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 203 Posts
Default I’ve Got 2 Extra New Second Hands from Paragon - Free for the First 2 Guys Who PM Me!

Gents,

I just got PM’d by somebody who saw one of my earlier posts from 2017 on getting replacement hands from Paragon. At the time, I was driving a 2012 Cayenne S and Paragon was kind enough to send me 10 spare second hands that over the years I have given away to others who have had this same problem. Having traded in my 2012 for a 2019 Cayenne Turbo back in 2020, I had forgotten I still had these in my files until I got PM’d here. After already promising one to a forum member I have 2 left, so feel free to PM me and I’d be happy to send one to you gratis. First come, first served!

The following 2 users liked this post by North Shore 911:
DemonBG (04-14-2023), visitador (02-15-2023)
Old 07-31-2022, 07:30 PM
TMC.
Racer

I bet I could make them things with a small injection molding setup.
North Shore 911 (07-31-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 07:20 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Gents,

I just got PM’d by somebody who saw one of my earlier posts from 2017 on getting replacement hands from Paragon. At the time, I was driving a 2012 Cayenne S and Paragon was kind enough to send me 10 spare second hands that over the years I have given away to others who have had this same problem. Having traded in my 2012 for a 2019 Cayenne Turbo back in 2020, I had forgotten I still had these in my files until I got PM’d here. After already promising one to a forum member I have 2 left, so feel free to PM me and I’d be happy to send one to you gratis. First come, first served!

Just to close this out, the 3 spare second hands have now been spoken for! Thanks to everyone who PM’d me on this
visitador (02-15-2023)
Old 08-01-2022, 07:28 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

That was really cool of you to offer. Honestly, my snipped/neutered second hand is still going strong. To much hassle to replace. One thing you guys should know that when you go to plug the clock back in, if you time it just right you can the second hand timed perfectly to the tick of the minute hand.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:27 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Just to close this out, the 3 spare second hands have now been spoken for! Thanks to everyone who PM’d me on this
Very kind of you to find these & offer, @North Shore 911 . I’ll send you a PM.

Good news is that the calipers came in, so if you’re so kind as to send over one of the Paragon units, I will gladly measure the stem during the replacement and post for the future prosperity of the community. Thanks for the offer as this will be one less tear down of the better-half’s dash (always a bonus!)
Old 08-14-2022, 07:21 AM
TMC.
Racer

Thamk you very much for the hand. I also have my caliper ready and hope to do the install tomorrow! (Sunday)
Old 02-15-2023, 09:37 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMC.
Thamk you very much for the hand. I also have my caliper ready and hope to do the install tomorrow! (Sunday)
@TMC. Any chance you found the opportunity to install the hand and measure the stem? I back-burnered the clock for a bit while dealing with some other things, but should be able to pop everything open for measuring at some point in the weeks ahead. Would love to put this issue to bed for the community so folks don't keep ordering full replacement clocks in lieu of a $0.50 - $2.00 hand.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:44 PM
JamesN
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

It finally happened to me, almost. My second hand on my 2017 CS isn't moving, hasn't fallen off YET. The time is accurate on other hands . Is there is DIY on how to get the clock out of the dash so I can superglue the hand on?

thansk

Jim

Old 03-29-2023, 09:01 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JamesN
It finally happened to me, almost. My second hand on my 2017 CS isn't moving, hasn't fallen off YET. The time is accurate on other hands . Is there is DIY on how to get the clock out of the dash so I can superglue the hand on?

thansk

Jim
You may not have to remove the second hand. Just take some toenail clippers and snip off the end of it.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:53 PM
JamesN
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

OK, will try the clippers . Thanks

Jim

Quick Reply: Clock/chrono Second Hand Stem Diameter