Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Good luck indeed ....here's hoping.
Peter
Old 07-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Sent off. I'd love to see options if that's not too bold. It'd be neat if a second hand coated in luminescent paint was an option. True not a lot of back light from the standard lighting but it might just pop a little. Anyhow, interested to see where this leads. It's not an if but when problem.
The following users liked this post:
DemonBG (07-10-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 08:54 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
Sent off. I'd love to see options if that's not too bold. It'd be neat if a second hand coated in luminescent paint was an option. True not a lot of back light from the standard lighting but it might just pop a little. Anyhow, interested to see where this leads. It's not an if but when problem.
I was thinking the same thing regarding the paint/glow. First thing’s first: getting a second hand to stay on there.

On the metal hand front, my test hands are supposed to arrive by 12am (doubt it, but we’ll see). Don’t think I’ve ever checked a shipper’s site so many times for such a small package.
Old 07-08-2023, 06:56 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Default Almost There!

Ok friends, we’re getting close (as in “it will work but it’s not perfect” close). Our clock is now fully-functional with the below metal hand, but it is a few hundredths of a mm too loose. Working on sourcing a perfect fit, then will post it up to the board.

In the meantime, here’s a quick teaser of our (currently re-installed and fully-functional) clock with metal hand…jerry-rigged using a <0.5mm dab of my daughter’s wax from her braces to keep it snug:

Metal replacement second hand for Porsche Cayenne/Panamera clock

For my friend with the UV 3D Printer: I suspect that a 0.39mm hole size will be just about perfect with material that is even the slightest bit flexible.
The following users liked this post:
DemonBG (07-10-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 08:52 PM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

How about a little dab of JB-Weld or maybe hot glue since it's a little more forgiving?
Old 07-08-2023, 11:00 PM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
Got it and will keep you all posted as i progress!
@FormerRotor - That looks really damn good and honestly, with a dab of hot glue i'd probably live with it rather than having nothing!

Good work and hoping we can find a solid solution
Old 07-09-2023, 12:30 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMC.
How about a little dab of JB-Weld or maybe hot glue since it's a little more forgiving?
Originally Posted by DemonBG
Got it and will keep you all posted as i progress!
@FormerRotor - That looks really damn good and honestly, with a dab of hot glue i'd probably live with it rather than having nothing!

Good work and hoping we can find a solid solution
Thanks, gents! To be clear: it definitely works, but I’d like to find the adhesive-free solution for everyone’s future reference.

I should just be one step away on the metal front. Reached out to a jeweler supplier who I’m hoping can provide more customized options. Ideally, if we can dial in the post size just right and make it white (maybe even luminous) this should be just about perfect. On the 3D Print, Plastic should be a bit more forgiving. Almost there! Cheers!

Last edited by FormerRotor; 07-09-2023 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:31 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

So excited for this! My son was asking me about when I was just going to buy a new one so he could have the old one today...
Old 07-09-2023, 07:49 PM
oz968
Racer

Agree with the previous response to your post ...I could live with that silver hand and a spot of glue of sorts.
Great work
Many thanx
Peter
Old 07-10-2023, 10:14 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oz968
Agree with the previous response to your post ...I could live with that silver hand and a spot of glue of sorts.
Great work
Many thanx
Peter
Thanks, Peter! For everyone's future refence: the main issue with a purely silver hand (if at all reflective) is that it can reflect the (black) interior housing and/or vehicle interior from many angles, causing it to become near-invisible at a glance when in certain positions during the day (and essentially completely invisible at night).

Ordered up 4 different iterations of a matte white minute hand which *should* fit the bill (all the same post size so fingers crossed on that end, but with 2 different styles and 3 different lengths). Assuming these little guys do the trick, I will post up pictures & specifications for the group's future benefit (and may wind up with a few extra hands either to toy with and/or to re-distribute).

Have also been toying with the thought of applying a phosphorescent paint if I happen to drive by a craft store in the next few days. Not sure how well it will work but may give it a try. Think we can 174 the effort as R&D?

Last edited by FormerRotor; 07-10-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:05 PM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Little progress pic. Need to test print and refine the design but trying to maintain the feel of the original hand and make sure I get a good print.
The following 3 users liked this post by DemonBG:
FormerRotor (07-10-2023), Mirrorslap (07-10-2023), TMC. (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 07:48 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

phosphorescent is what I'd love to see. Not going to be super stunning but maybe the mix of sunlight and the little bit from the clockface's built in lighting would do the trick.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:19 PM
oz968
Racer

Originally Posted by DemonBG

Little progress pic. Need to test print and refine the design but trying to maintain the feel of the original hand and make sure I get a good print.
Yeah thats another direction for sure.
I will track your progress.
Peter
Old 07-10-2023, 08:27 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

looking good!
Old 07-10-2023, 09:47 PM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm happy to lend some solidworks or internet sleuthing skills to the mix here - I have a ton of product design experience and have made some truly tiny things for production (cardiac ablation catheter design is crazy!). I can probably get a batch of minute hands photo-etched that will be damn near perfect, but second hands are a lot tricker because of the cap. A tiny lost wax casting might be possible but surface tension is going to be a bitch to deal with. maybe a pressed blank with a plastic hub insert? seems doable if a bit painful.

Anybody happen to have the minute hand ID, and lengths of the arms? Going to go boil the internet and see what I can find that might be adapted. I could get these myself but I'd rather just take the SC out once since it's driving season!

Last edited by Abt12; 07-10-2023 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Clock/chrono Second Hand Stem Diameter