Sponsored By:

Clock/chrono Second Hand Stem Diameter

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 12:59 AM
DemonBG
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Abt12
I'm happy to lend some solidworks or internet sleuthing skills to the mix here - I have a ton of product design experience and have made some truly tiny things for production (cardiac ablation catheter design is crazy!). I can probably get a batch of minute hands photo-etched that will be damn near perfect, but second hands are a lot tricker because of the cap. A tiny lost wax casting might be possible but surface tension is going to be a bitch to deal with. maybe a pressed blank with a plastic hub insert? seems doable if a bit painful.

Anybody happen to have the minute hand ID, and lengths of the arms? Going to go boil the internet and see what I can find that might be adapted. I could get these myself but I'd rather just take the SC out once since it's driving season!
So luckily, thanks to @Davebrossi i have a clock that has only the second hand as well as my own that has both the minute and second hand. Once i have the second hand-only version figured out, i'll get my own Dash clock out and start getting measurements and models.
The following users liked this post:
Abt12 (07-11-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 12:19 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DemonBG
Little progress pic. Need to test print and refine the design but trying to maintain the feel of the original hand and make sure I get a good print.
Looking Good, @DemonBG!

I'm happy to lend some solidworks or internet sleuthing skills to the mix here [...] Anybody happen to have the minute hand ID, and lengths of the arms? Going to go boil the internet and see what I can find that might be adapted. I could get these myself but I'd rather just take the SC out once since it's driving season!
If the problem-child second hand wasn't out there, I can't imagine that the minute/hour hands are, but I'm happy to break out the cheap-o micrometer (seems to be +/- 0.02mm) again when the next round of second hands come in if DemonBG hasn't had the chance to measure them up by then.

FWIW: On the hand-sourcing front, I suspect Esslinger is may be our easiest go-to with--perhaps--AliExpress being close second if we figure out which common Watch Movements share dimensions with the P-car post size. But--with that said--I suspect the 3D printing option @DemonBG is working up is going to be the real solution.

Last edited by FormerRotor; 07-12-2023 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:48 AM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FormerRotor
Looking Good, @DemonBG!
FWIW: On the hand-sourcing front, I suspect Esslinger is may be our easiest go-to with--perhaps--AliExpress being close second if we figure out which common Watch Movements share dimensions with the P-car post size. But--with that said--I suspect the 3D printing option @DemonBG is working up is going to be the real solution.
3d printing the second hand hub might work, but will definitely require some finishing work. These arms are so small most resin printers aren't going to make good parts, and those that can will likely be pretty brittle. And I'm a 3d printing evangelist, I literally work for a 3d printing company 😁

Unfortunately the market for these is just too small to warrant making an injection mold, but I might be able to swing a forming die for a custom rivet to adapt an off-the shelf version. Arms wouldn't end up super cheap just due to the volume though.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:17 PM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Thinking out loud....
The picture that shows the silver hand as a replacement without the "hub" on it I didnt find "ugly"
In fact I thought it looked quite good.
Do we need a hub to engage the hand onto the clock..??
As long as its snug it would be fine....would'nt it.
Peter
Old 07-13-2023, 12:47 AM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oz968
Do we need a hub to engage the hand onto the clock..?? As long as its snug it would be fine....would'nt it.
Peter
I think it should be fine with the right post size regardless of hub. Check out the Porsche Design version, for example. Below.

Porsche Design Dash Clock

Here’s a quick reference from Esslinger to provide some examples of hand sizes, styles, & post measurement…
https://blog.esslinger.com/wp-conten...ANDS_PAIRS.pdf

Last edited by FormerRotor; 07-13-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:48 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

I like that one but do not like the price of it!
Old 07-13-2023, 07:45 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Default Finally! The Porsche Clock Second hand fix (metal hand).

OK, ladies & gents, I think we’ve got it!

Second hand fixed!

So here’s everything you need to know:
1. The Porsche Cayenne/Panamera/etc second hand sits on a 0.40mm post. So ANY watch hand for a 0.40mm post will fit. Personally, I liked those of a 6-8mm length (the hand shown is 7mm long)
Note: Options are limited because this post size is more common for a Minute hand, BUT there are still options to choose from. Look for a 40/80 Minute/Hour set which is common to several movements. If you see something like “40-80 4x7” this indicates a minute hand for a 40mm post of 7mm length and a hour hand for an 80mm post of a 4mm length.

Here is an easy place to start:
Esslinger 40/80 Watch Hand Sets
The hand shown is an 86.210.2, modified as below.

2. Don’t be afraid to get a little artsy craftsy and make it your own. I wanted to give everyone a close-to-stock option, but your only limit here is your imagination. If you want to duplicate what I used, here’s what you’ll need:
  • Esslinger Part Number 86.210.2 (Reminder: ANY hand for a 0.40mm post size will work. Pick your favorite.)
  • Multi-surface Satin White Paint
  • Phosphorescent / “Glow” Paint for top coat
  • Tiny brush
Note: Support a local crafts store rather than trying to order on Amazon. The paint (especially glow in the dark) and brushed were <$6 from my local shop. The glow in the dark paint alone was $10+ on Amazon.

Porsche Cayenne Second Hand Repair “Kit”

Using those fine motor skills (and my wife’s reading glasses).

Tada!

Prefer a sweep style hand? Want it to be red? Want it to glow orange instead of the standard white? Go wild.

3. Don’t go too thick with the paint and be sure to check your hour-to-second-hand clearance before reassembling (tight tolerances were our issue in the first place, remember!).

4. Enjoy your new, permanently fixed, un-neutered hand!

Personally, I’d love to see someone use a black hand with a white luminous tip or a white/silver sweep hand with a red tip, but for now I’m pretty pleased with these results for the group.

If anyone near DC wants the leftover supplies, I have 3 spare hands and enough paint for 10,000. Just LMK & be sure to pay it forward to the next guy/gal once you’re done!

Enjoy & let us see those repaired second hands! Best,
FR

PS: Still looking forward to seeing what @DemonBG & the 3d printing crew are able to come up with! The more options the better.

Last edited by FormerRotor; 07-13-2023 at 08:12 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by FormerRotor:
Abt12 (07-13-2023), DemonBG (07-14-2023), oz968 (07-13-2023), TMC. (07-13-2023), wvanderclock (07-15-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 07:59 PM
oz968
Racer

Hey Mike
your homework has been outstanding mate and as a result we have a "cure"
Happy to paypal you some $$ to send one flat envelope to Australia containing a hand.
Thanks
Peter
Old 07-13-2023, 08:03 PM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

You should get a free membership for tracking that part number down.
The following 2 users liked this post by TMC.:
FormerRotor (07-13-2023), oz968 (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 08:19 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMC.
You should get a free membership for tracking that part number down.
Ha! Thanks, @TMC. Happy to earn my keep!

...Your homework has been outstanding mate and as a result we have a "cure". Happy to paypal you some $$ to send one flat envelope to Australia containing a hand. Thanks Peter
Saw your PM, @oz968 ! Anything for a fellow enthusiast, mate! Just PM me your address and I'll get you a set. What does it cost to get an envelope to you from the East Coast of the US? I'm happy to send you one of the 0.40mm alternates I have in-hand.

The sweep-style hand is my favorite, but will take a quick clip to the right length (nail clippers just like the stock hand) and a steady/smooth hand with a brush to get it perfect. The 8mm length unit is almost identical to the one shown above & shouldn't require any real modification...

Last edited by FormerRotor; 07-13-2023 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:28 PM
oz968
Racer

Mike
Again your efforts are absolutely gracious.
the 86.210.3 is the go I think.
I have no idea what a flat envelope cost is to US however Google tells me $1.15 USD
I have PM'd you for your paypal ID and I will make a payment
Peter
Old 07-13-2023, 09:01 PM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FormerRotor
OK, ladies & gents, I think we’ve got it!

Enjoy & let us see those repaired second hands! Best,
FR
F*cking legend. Excellent work!

Tempted to try and find some Porsche design looking hands...
FormerRotor (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 09:41 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

I have PM'd you for your paypal ID and I will make a payment.
As long as shipping is reasonable, no need for PayPal. Just shoot me an address, my friend.

F*cking legend. Excellent work! Tempted to try and find some Porsche design looking hands...
Thanks, @Abt12 ! Do it! I think the next bit of research is for someone to identify common watch movements that use 40/80 hands (and whatever our minute/hour hand post sizes are). There are tons of hand options out there, but most (especially on Ali & EBay) are labeled by the name of their movement without referencing post size.

@DemonBG , any chance you can take a calipers to @Davebrossi ’s second-hand-only clock and post up the hour/minute hand sizes for ABT/others? I didn’t have the heart to pop them off the wife’s clock and potentially create a new issue (especially when I’m thinking of fiddling with the electrical systems this weekend…on to the next project ).

Last edited by FormerRotor; 07-13-2023 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:00 PM
FormerRotor
Rennlist Member

Night-time update!

Porsche Cayenne Second Hand Fix (metal hand with phosphorescent paint) at night.
wvanderclock (07-15-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 10:09 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

See! Not saying I'm looking forward to when the second hand on my unit bites the dust, but at least it isn't 'pay to play, 500 dollars plz! ' I had a loaner 21 Macan a week ago and the dash clock is still the same assembly .. it's nice to have options at last.

Not saying I thought about it, but in retrospect, would they really check for a missing second hand? (No I am not advocating anything actionable. The answer is yes, just like they noticed the half a tank of gas missing when handing it off, etc. Jokes aside, no theft of loaner car second hands)

Quick Reply: Clock/chrono Second Hand Stem Diameter