Sponsored By:

Coolant leak below intake manifold - Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 03:50 PM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Coolant leak below intake manifold - Diesel

Started noticing a strong coolant smell maybe 6 months ago. Low and behold over the past month or so I've need to add about a half gallon of coolant.
Brought it into the shop and they have detected that it is in fact leaking near the oil cooler. Service advisor laid out a bunch of parts that he planned on replacing. So I looked them up, named them, and priced them out.

Seems like this is a very common problem, I'm just surprised that it's happened on my CD with just 80k. The new car warranty ended in 2021, but I still have a lot of time left on the Diesel Extended.
Has anyone successfully had this covered under warranty? My rationale is that these plastic parts failed for a reason, and could that reason be EGR related? The warranty booklet specifically says related.

As of now, the dealership as quoted me north of $1500 for the repair.

Last edited by ChrisTDI; 01-26-2022 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:59 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

I have seen someone on RL have this covered under the Emission warranty. I suspect I have this issue too. It was just at the dealer. They said it was not leaking, but I have put at least 32 ounces in during the last six months.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:25 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Sounds like one of those leaks down in the V of the engine where it just collects there and eventually burns-off. If you never find leaks on the ground that is probably the issue.

I had this fixed on my '13, but the mileage was over 120K, so it was not covered under the extended warranty... I think if you are under 100K this might be covered, as I believe I've see others mention they got their dealerships to cover. Maybe search around the forum a bit to see if you can find those other threads.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:22 PM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisTDI
Started noticing a strong coolant smell maybe 6 months ago. Low and behold over the past month or so I've need to add about a half gallon of coolant.
Brought it into the shop and they have detected that it is in fact leaking near the oil cooler. Service advisor laid out a bunch of parts that he planned on replacing. So I looked them up, named them, and priced them out.

Seems like this is a very common problem, I'm just surprised that it's happened on my CD with just 80k. The new car warranty ended in 2021, but I still have a lot of time left on the Diesel Extended.
Has anyone successfully had this covered under warranty? My rationale is that these plastic parts failed for a reason, and could that reason be EGR related? The warranty booklet specifically says related.

As of now, the dealership as quoted me north of $1500 for the repair.
North Houston Porsche covered this for us at around 86,000 miles under the Diesel warranty
The following users liked this post:
ChrisTDI (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 01:56 PM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Originally Posted by Diesel4Life
North Houston Porsche covered this for us at around 86,000 miles under the Diesel warranty
Interesting, are you sure you didn't have a different warranty cover it? How old is the car now? My preowned warranty expired back in January of 2021.
Could you post your receipt or send it to me?

My dealer says that warranty coverage only applies to parts if they are the cause of the problem. So brittle EGR parts, mostly gaskets and orings, are still something that I have to pay for since they were not the cause of the leak.
I cant imagine that these plastic pieces were made to crack and leak at 80k without a factor that changed.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:00 PM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
Sounds like one of those leaks down in the V of the engine where it just collects there and eventually burns-off. If you never find leaks on the ground that is probably the issue.

I had this fixed on my '13, but the mileage was over 120K, so it was not covered under the extended warranty... I think if you are under 100K this might be covered, as I believe I've see others mention they got their dealerships to cover. Maybe search around the forum a bit to see if you can find those other threads.
I saw your post and others like it. The dealer is suggesting only replacing the control valve and not other components. They actually said the engine has to be dropped in order to replace the other plastic pieces connected to the front cover that sites behind the serp belt and pulleys.

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
I have seen someone on RL have this covered under the Emission warranty. I suspect I have this issue too. It was just at the dealer. They said it was not leaking, but I have put at least 32 ounces in during the last six months.
Highly recommend getting your car checked out before its too late. I fear that the emissions warranty doesn't cover this.
Old 01-29-2022, 10:39 AM
Diesel4Life
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisTDI
Interesting, are you sure you didn't have a different warranty cover it? How old is the car now? My preowned warranty expired back in January of 2021.
Could you post your receipt or send it to me?

My dealer says that warranty coverage only applies to parts if they are the cause of the problem. So brittle EGR parts, mostly gaskets and orings, are still something that I have to pay for since they were not the cause of the leak.
I cant imagine that these plastic pieces were made to crack and leak at 80k without a factor that changed.
They fixed it during peak Covid when revenues were down. That may have been an incentive to warranty work it. Let me look for the receipt.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:59 PM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Originally Posted by Diesel4Life
They fixed it during peak Covid when revenues were down. That may have been an incentive to warranty work it. Let me look for the receipt.
Thanks for checking. My dealer has stated that this is not under diesel emissions extended, so any supporting data would be a big help.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:10 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Looks to be this? I have the same issue at 77K miles and started over two years ago. Just keep dumping coolant and sticking my head in the sand.

Old 01-30-2022, 03:12 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had something similar covered under goodwill for $200. Car was in the shop for like a month
Old 01-31-2022, 09:48 AM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Originally Posted by chsu74
Looks to be this? I have the same issue at 77K miles and started over two years ago. Just keep dumping coolant and sticking my head in the sand.

https://youtu.be/F-SxiYx2Zyk
I would image it looks like that. I personally havent seen the car since it entered the dealer. There are many plastic pieces that are between the intake manifold and the engine that can crack.

Originally Posted by Sudar
I've had something similar covered under goodwill for $200. Car was in the shop for like a month
This is interesting, did you maintain the car at the dealer as well? I was denied goodwill, but never had them check out anything other than warranty repairs. Thinking of going to a different dealer for my next purchase because of that.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:04 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 CD with 69k miles on it (purchased new, in service August 2012). I've had to top up the coolant a few times last was about 400 cc's 2 weeks ago.

The dealer found the leak, at the heater control valve. Cheap part ($100), but they are saying it's an engine drop, quoted labor cost of $2,300.
They indicated that this was *not* covered under the diesel extended warranty.

Do either of these (engine drop and no warranty coverage) sound right (?)

I considered getting an independent I've used recently for brakes on this vehicle, but given the 'complexity', I'd rather have it on the dealer, particularly as our diesel extended warranty happens to go until May 2023, so I don't want any claims on it denied because they think a 3rd party may have caused an issue down the road.

Been kicking tires looking at replacement vehicles, in part for fun. Not many efficient midsized SUV's with good power and handling that are out there. We have the car we want !

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:47 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by tmack2012
I have a 2013 CD with 69k miles on it (purchased new, in service August 2012). I've had to top up the coolant a few times last was about 400 cc's 2 weeks ago.

The dealer found the leak, at the heater control valve. Cheap part ($100), but they are saying it's an engine drop, quoted labor cost of $2,300.
They indicated that this was *not* covered under the diesel extended warranty.

Do either of these (engine drop and no warranty coverage) sound right (?)

I considered getting an independent I've used recently for brakes on this vehicle, but given the 'complexity', I'd rather have it on the dealer, particularly as our diesel extended warranty happens to go until May 2023, so I don't want any claims on it denied because they think a 3rd party may have caused an issue down the road.

Been kicking tires looking at replacement vehicles, in part for fun. Not many efficient midsized SUV's with good power and handling that are out there. We have the car we want !

Thanks in advance.
I think my engine has been dropped 5-6 times at this point, maybe more, all covered under (some form of) the extended warranty. Mostly for oil leaks on the back of the engine, caused by a warped rear flange/bell housing cover, but also a couple times for coolant leaks, with the last one being at the cooler on top of the transmission, which can only be fixed by dripping the whole engine/transmission unit.

Since we're talking about dropping the engine, I found this nice dented pipe on the drivers side that I think could have only happened during removal/install of the engine:

I sent a pic to the dealer that serviced it last to see what their take was, haven't heard anything yet.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:55 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
I think my engine has been dropped 5-6 times at this point, maybe more, all covered under (some form of) the extended warranty. Mostly for oil leaks on the back of the engine, caused by a warped rear flange/bell housing cover, but also a couple times for coolant leaks, with the last one being at the cooler on top of the transmission, which can only be fixed by dripping the whole engine/transmission unit.

Since we're talking about dropping the engine, I found this nice dented pipe on the drivers side that I think could have only happened during removal/install of the engine:

I sent a pic to the dealer that serviced it last to see what their take was, haven't heard anything yet.
Thank you for the response. It sounds like this may be relatively routine then.

Interestingly, the dealership also identified an oil leak from the cylinder head cover which will be covered under the extended diesel warranty.

On a side note, I (maybe knee jerked) a Porsche extended warranty on the 2016 Macan Turbo we bought 3 years ago, just passed the 6 year mark yesterday.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback.
The following users liked this post:
dollarlongnecks (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 10:02 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Also, as the engine will be dropped anyways, if there may be any parts known to commonly fail that I might request be preemptively replaced while they are there?

I would be kind of choked if in the near term a related part that they can only get to by dropping the engine again fails in this nearly 10 year old CD!

Quick Reply: Coolant leak below intake manifold - Diesel