Sponsored By:

Mechanic can't get the car from brake service mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 06:49 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Mechanic can't get the car from brake service mode

Had my brakes and rotors replaced at local mechanic who was highly recommended. He can't get the car out of service mode due to rear emergency brake adjustments and calibration. He did read that it needs proper air gap and calibration procedure....any tips?
Old 07-26-2021, 08:32 PM
schernov
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Sudar
Had my brakes and rotors replaced at local mechanic who was highly recommended. He can't get the car out of service mode due to rear emergency brake adjustments and calibration. He did read that it needs proper air gap and calibration procedure....any tips?
what tool is he using ? If you have PIWIS - there is a function to set electronic parking break into service position. Same thing as on BMWs. However, most of the time it's not necessary if you don't replace the parking brake shoes. Just don't set the parking brake. Remove rotors. Put new ones on. If they don't fit - can use the adjuster **** to contract the shoes. At least that's how most Techs do it without bothering with parking brake service mode. How did he get it into the service mode to begin with ?
Old 07-26-2021, 09:26 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

The rear electronic parking brake is the same as a Touareg. Should have taken down all specs of the parking brake prior to doing the service as a backup and then just left the parking brake off to do the brakes. I just did my 5th touareg 3 all around brake replacement, and haven’t had an issue yet with any of them. Search touareg rear brake diy and touareg epb.

This may help him.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index..._Parking_Brake

The module may have been “zerod” out which means it lost its coding and will need to be correctly coded again to get you up and running.
Typically for common items such as the EPB, a VW shop could get you up and running again because a vag-com will read that VW module.

You may have to find someone with same year and trim to get you the correct coding, then have to deal with airgaps if they are gone.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:03 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

You will have to perform parking brake calibration. Scan tool will be required.

See this post
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15725565
Old 07-26-2021, 10:13 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, called me 8pm said they solved it. He told me you are required to enter service mode, he just couldn't exit it and clear the faults. Watched YouTube and took care of it in 20 min.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:05 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Mechanics who think they are required to enter service mode to change the pads or rotors are the same ones who have to look at YouTube to figure out how to get out of it.

While the official Porsche Service Manual would instruct you to use PIWIS and enter service mode, anyone who has done brake jobs on Porsche cars knows that that's really not necessary. Recalibrating the parking brake can be a real PITA. I once had my Boxster stuck in a Porsche service department for 3 days because they couldn't get the parking brake to recalibrate.
Old 01-02-2023, 04:04 PM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a link to what he watched on YouTube?
Old 01-03-2023, 01:00 AM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottEnlow
Do you have a link to what he watched on YouTube?
i am not sure now. Check these

This channel has more than one

Old 01-03-2023, 09:35 AM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

Originally Posted by Sudar
i am not sure now. Check these

This channel has more than one https://youtu.be/A7LQwbSBa2w

https://youtu.be/mTTgWurP388
Those are great videos. I've watched all of them. I believe my issue is that the iCarsoft POS V3.0 is not completing the 'basic function check mode' so I can move on to 'grinding in' and final 'calibration'. I believe I have a software or connection issue with my Cayenne. I've seen people use the iCarsoft POS V2.0 and it works fine.

Thank you,
Scott
Old 01-03-2023, 11:59 AM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Those are great videos. I've watched all of them. I believe my issue is that the iCarsoft POS V3.0 is not completing the 'basic function check mode' so I can move on to 'grinding in' and final 'calibration'. I believe I have a software or connection issue with my Cayenne. I've seen people use the iCarsoft POS V2.0 and it works fine.
https://youtu.be/ycVNflY6z7M

Thank you,
Scott
For what it's worth, my V3.0 worked fine for this procedure on my '16. Might be worth trying to update it's software, assuming it's out of date.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:29 PM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

Originally Posted by BrendonSF
For what it's worth, my V3.0 worked fine for this procedure on my '16. Might be worth trying to update it's software, assuming it's out of date.
I tried that but unfortunately there software is only compatible with PC and I have a Mac. I haven't been able to find a suitable driver to transfer update to the scan tool. The home screen on the tool says Boot : V21.05 Firmware V22.11 Porsche V32.60 . Is that the version you have?

Old 01-04-2023, 01:37 AM
BrendonSF
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

I tried that but unfortunately there software is only compatible with PC and I have a Mac. I haven't been able to find a suitable driver to transfer update to the scan tool. The home screen on the tool says Boot : V21.05 Firmware V22.11 Porsche V32.60 . Is that the version you have?
I can't tell you my version easily, but if you've never updated you are almost certainly several versions behind. Chances are it won't fix it, but it's a good first line of defense. Do you have someone who can convienently let you use their PC? I'd be happy to update it for you if you want to ship me a return label, but I doubt you'd want to trust a stranger with your unit.

I do recall the process seeming straight-forward on the surface, but there being a bit of nuance to the order that you perform everything in. Porsche even implemented a TSB on the topic as apparently techs were getting tripped up by it. A few months ago I would have been able to articulate it well, but I'm hazy now. I replaced my rotors but skipped the grinding-in process and haven't had issues. I also read other people on the forums who did the same. You simply tell it that you didn't replace the rotors when prompted, at which point it will let you skip it. Then you go to calibration, and you should be off to the races.

Also, is the parking brake in service mode, and then you're trying to perform the measurement check?
If you haven't, I'd suggest doing a calibration and starting the process over, assuming it will let you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche TSB.pdf (88.7 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by BrendonSF; 01-04-2023 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2023, 09:09 AM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

Thank you for the offer. I just got confirmation from iCarsoft that my V3.0 does have the latest software. I just ordered a V2.0 (free returns available on both units) to see if it will communicate with my car. As I start the calibration process 'check basic function of parking brake, it releases it and then says, 'This function is not supported on this vehicle". The grinding in page says it's unable because I have ceramic disc (I don't) or incorrect coding (Is the car or the tool incorrectly coded?). The final step, calibration, says, "request rejected'.
I think there is a software or communication issue between the tool and my car.
Old 01-04-2023, 02:00 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 283 Posts

The icarsoft V2.0 worked fine on mine, where are you located? I also have PIWIS.
Old 01-04-2023, 02:03 PM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

Boise, ID

Quick Reply: Mechanic can't get the car from brake service mode