Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Mechanic can't get the car from brake service mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 02:04 PM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you're in Raleigh. My family is in Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC.
The following users liked this post:
e30rapidic (01-08-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 10:45 PM
dannysisko
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottEnlow
Thank you for the offer. I just got confirmation from iCarsoft that my V3.0 does have the latest software. I just ordered a V2.0 (free returns available on both units) to see if it will communicate with my car. As I start the calibration process 'check basic function of parking brake, it releases it and then says, 'This function is not supported on this vehicle". The grinding in page says it's unable because I have ceramic disc (I don't) or incorrect coding (Is the car or the tool incorrectly coded?). The final step, calibration, says, "request rejected'.
I think there is a software or communication issue between the tool and my car.
Hey mate, I wonder how you went with this, I am getting the exaxt same issue with my iCarsoft v3 as you
fourthirteen (04-01-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 09:51 AM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

I had to take it to the dealer. It cost $400. After being responsive to my initial emails requesting help, iCarsoft has ghosted me.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:22 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 538 Posts

I tried that but unfortunately there software is only compatible with PC and I have a Mac. I haven't been able to find a suitable driver to transfer update to the scan tool. The home screen on the tool says Boot : V21.05 Firmware V22.11 Porsche V32.60 . Is that the version you have?
I have only one need for a PC, and that's VCDS. I ran it in VMWare Fusion for a while, but always wondered when it would stop working...

So I bought a cheap Windows laptop via Amazon, a business class ThinkPad for $200 or so.

If you count on PC software to manage your Cayenne, a dedicated (or semi-dedicated) Windows machine is a small incremental expense...
Old 04-01-2023, 06:03 PM
fourthirteen
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I just went through this today with my 2013 CTT. Everything was fine and I had my Launch X431 hooked up and was poking around in the different systems. Out of curiosity I selected Parking Brake (PB) and saw that I could run a test called “Check parking brake function”, or something like that. So I clicked it. Big mistake. It actuated and released my parking brake and determined that the air gaps were both out of spec., so it put the PB in Service Mode (SM) and wouldn’t exit until air gaps were corrected. I drove it hoping that it would clear, but no luck, and with the PB in SM it disables ACC/PASM and sends up a warning on the instrument panel every minute or so. Ended up with 4 different warnings active.

So this is what I had to do to get the PB out of SM on mine with steel rotors. The below addresses ceramic PCCB as well. This is using the Launch x431, but should be similar on other computers, just with different nomenclature.
  1. remove rear wheels and remove the little threaded plug on the rotor to access the star wheel parking brake adjuster.
  2. stick a flat blade screwdriver through the hole and turn the star wheel a few notches to reduce air gap.
  3. run the PB function test again to see if the air gap is within spec.
  4. repeat steps 2 and 3 until air gap on both rear wheels are within spec.
  5. return to the PB system on the Launch x431 and click Calibrate (since nothing was replaced you don’t have to perform grind-in).
  6. if you have PCCB rotors then calibration will probably be successful and you can proceed to Step 15.
  7. if you have steel rotors then you’ll probably receive “Request Rejected” notice.
  8. on the Launch, exit out of PB System and go to Brake system, Special Function, Coding, and change brakes from Steel to Ceramic
  9. on the Launch, return to PB System and run Calibrate again. It should succeed this time and exit PB Service Mode.
  10. on the Launch, clear all trouble codes
  11. cycle ignition off and back on.
  12. on the Launch, return to Brake coding and change Ceramic back to Steel
  13. watch PB go back into service mode; cuss it
  14. on the Launch, go back to PB System and run Calibrate again (leave brake material set to Steel). It should succeed this time.
  15. clear any DTCs which may have re-occurred. I didn’t have any new ones at this point.
  16. cycle ignition off and on to ensure no longer in SM
  17. reinstall access plug on rotors and reinstall wheels.
  18. drive it like you stole it.
I hope this helps someone

Last edited by fourthirteen; 04-01-2023 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 07:09 PM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

Thanks for the update.
I tried starting with the adjusters turned out 10 clicks (I think) from fully engaged and tried to reduce the air gap by two clicks while restarting the check air gap function between adjustments. No joy for me. The iCar Soft never told me what the air gap reading was so I never knew if I was high or low on the adjustment. I never saw a way to recode my tool to let it know I had steel instead of ceramic rotors so could never get the grinding in function to work.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:38 PM
11bravo
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

So, basic question for you all. I have new pads/rotors for my 2011 CS, and would soon like to do the install. IF I DO NOT apply the emergency brake for the install, will I still have a potential problem? I have read that problems only arise when you set the brake. Thoughts?
Old 04-01-2023, 09:20 PM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

Don't click "Check the Basic Function of the Emergency Brake".
fourthirteen (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 10:55 PM
11bravo
Rennlist Member

Thank you, Scott. I had assumed that at some point in the operation I might see something like that. I can/will ignore it, with your recommendation.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:42 PM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

That would be my advice. It cost me $400 to have my local Porsche dealer fix it. No warning from the iCar Soft tool or literature. And no help from them after documenting the problem and sharing all of the data.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:00 AM
11bravo
Rennlist Member

That would be my advice. It cost me $400 to have my local Porsche dealer fix it. No warning from the iCar Soft tool or literature. And no help from them after documenting the problem and sharing all of the data.
Man, that is weak! I would think customer service is one thing iCar would want to be on top of.

thanks for the advice...
Old 02-14-2024, 12:23 AM
hass77
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello I have a 2013 Porsche cayenne s hybrid, I took to my mechanic and he accidentally put my car in the e break calibration and couldn’t figure out how to remove it, please if anyone can help, I was thinking of disconnecting the battery under the seat to do hard rest of the whole car in hopes that makes it go away, thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:53 AM
ScottEnlow
AutoX

Originally Posted by hass77
hello I have a 2013 Porsche cayenne s hybrid, I took to my mechanic and he accidentally put my car in the e break calibration and couldn’t figure out how to remove it, please if anyone can help, I was thinking of disconnecting the battery under the seat to do hard rest of the whole car in hopes that makes it go away, thanks in advance.
I could only resolve my issue by taking it to the dealership. Hang on to your wallet.
Old 08-08-2024, 03:44 PM
LoodorneGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

After swapping from steel to PCCB on my 982 GT4, I'm running into this issue. I followed the Porsche service center instructions and put the parking brake in installation mode before the swap..stupid me lol
The car got stuck in it. I tried using two different scanners, Thinkcarmax and Foxwell NT530, to run the calibration, but I'm still getting an error, and it won't calibrate despite the air gap being within the factory tolerance. I also tightened up the actuator gear to lower it and match the left and right values, but it still won't calibrate.

I will be using a more advanced scanner for my next attempt, so I have ordered the Launch X431 to give it a try. Someone mentioned the option to choose between PCCB and steel, and that's something I haven't seen in the scanner I used previously.

If someone has other tricks or solutions to calibrate the handbrake, please hit QUICK REPLY.

THANKS

Last edited by LoodorneGT4; 08-08-2024 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2024, 03:50 PM
LoodorneGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Duplicated post ..re-edit.

Last edited by LoodorneGT4; 08-08-2024 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Mechanic can't get the car from brake service mode