Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How easy it is to change the TCM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 01:27 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts
Default How easy it is to change the TCM?

I posted this in the long dieselgate thread but nobody answered.

There is one YouTube video showing how to change the TCM in a Toaureg but haven't found one for the CD.

I do have experience changing the battery. Is changing the TCM the same, but on the front passenger seat side? On the video for the Toaureg, the Youtuber had to cut the carpet in order to fold it up. Any insights are appreciated.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:16 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,155 Likes on 764 Posts

TCM as in transmission control module?
Old 01-24-2021, 04:31 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
TCM as in transmission control module?
Yea
Old 01-24-2021, 06:11 PM
ecobon
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can remove/replace it without unbolting the chair, but you have to do it by feel rather than sight. 10mm triple square to tilt the passenger seat and remove the TCU. 10mm socket holds the module cover in place. There are two tabs on the side to push in as you pull out the module. Then gently undo the retaining clip on the cable connector. The carpet needs a little cutting to easily see the module.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:28 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ecobon
You can remove/replace it without unbolting the chair, but you have to do it by feel rather than sight. 10mm triple square to tilt the passenger seat and remove the TCU. 10mm socket holds the module cover in place. There are two tabs on the side to push in as you pull out the module. Then gently undo the retaining clip on the cable connector. The carpet needs a little cutting to easily see the module.
Thanks. Appreciate the advice
Old 01-25-2021, 10:24 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

In a few years I'll get my wife another car and the CD will be mine again. At that point I hope to get the DME for the engine and transmission tuned as it won't be covered by CPO anymore and the powertrain warranty will basically be done too.
Old 07-26-2024, 09:14 PM
TurtleMountain
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
I posted this in the long dieselgate thread but nobody answered.

There is one YouTube video showing how to change the TCM in a Toaureg but haven't found one for the CD.

I do have experience changing the battery. Is changing the TCM the same, but on the front passenger seat side? On the video for the Toaureg, the Youtuber had to cut the carpet in order to fold it up. Any insights are appreciated.
How did the install end up going? I'm going to be doing mine shortly and am in the same place of trying to find good information on the Cayenne.
Old 07-26-2024, 11:54 PM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't bother trying to do it with the passenger seat still in. Takes a couple minutes to slide the seat forward and backward to get all the bolts out so you can lay the seat back. Then you just pry the carpet up around the door sill and you can remove the bolt holding the TCU in place. Takes 10-15 minutes and you definitely don't need to be cutting any carpet.
The following users liked this post:
TurtleMountain (07-27-2024)

Quick Reply: How easy it is to change the TCM?