Sponsored By:

Rear Bumper Removal? (How to?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 10:05 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Rear Bumper Removal? (How to?)

So Im installing my trailer hitch on Saturday and that obviously requires removing the rear bumper. Not sure about the order of operations and I cant seem to find a video on youtube or even a write up anywhere and was hoping someone here was familiar.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:21 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

This should help:

Old 01-23-2020, 10:23 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

DIY sticky is always the first place I look.

like this one.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...tallation.html

video

The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 10:23 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

As Don will tell you... AllData DIY baby...
deilenberger (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 10:45 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by dbv1
You guys are awesome, thanks so much! Never thought to look up the hitch install instead of just the bumper removal. Bit of a brain fart on my part.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
As Don will tell you... AllData DIY baby...
Our DIY section has come along nicely. I'd like to thank all the people who have contributed to it. Hope to see many more DIY worthy threads..

For those who may not know about it.. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-diy-224/

dollarlongnecks (01-23-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 02:06 AM
mr_hyde
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just did this a couple weeks ago. It wasn't too hard - just take your time. The hardest part was getting the plug mounted in a place that was accessible after the bumper was put back on.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:44 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm about to do this as well - thanks for the links.

Is there a video on the electrics as well? I.e installing the plug and the towing ECU?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:33 PM
mr_hyde
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I did a lot of reading and picked up everything I needed to but I don't recall a single source that answered every question I had. The trailer wiring snakes up through the floor of the tub under the spare tire well. I needed to loosen the heat shield for the exhaust to get the plugs through. Spend some time researching how to get the interior panel off to expose where the tow module goes. I broke a non-critical tab when I did mine because it wasn't as intuitive as other panels on the car (IMO).

Interestingly on coding the tow module, I haven't done that yet but the lights and brakes work (also installed a brake controller) and the parking sensors don't squawk at me. I have a light out on my trailer and the Cayenne dash complained about it. I don't have the extra turn signal light in the dash I have read about by my 958 is a 2011 so maybe that came later. Does anyone know exactly what 'coding' the module does to the broader system in a 2011 CS?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:58 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by mr_hyde
I did a lot of reading and picked up everything I needed to but I don't recall a single source that answered every question I had. The trailer wiring snakes up through the floor of the tub under the spare tire well. I needed to loosen the heat shield for the exhaust to get the plugs through. Spend some time researching how to get the interior panel off to expose where the tow module goes. I broke a non-critical tab when I did mine because it wasn't as intuitive as other panels on the car (IMO).

Interestingly on coding the tow module, I haven't done that yet but the lights and brakes work (also installed a brake controller) and the parking sensors don't squawk at me. I have a light out on my trailer and the Cayenne dash complained about it. I don't have the extra turn signal light in the dash I have read about by my 958 is a 2011 so maybe that came later. Does anyone know exactly what 'coding' the module does to the broader system in a 2011 CS?
So Im in a pretty unique situation but share some issues with you. My car came from the factory with the towing package but at some point in its life the rear hitch was removed as well as the wiring harness, but the tow module was left behind. Lucky for me that means i dont need to purchase the module and my car is already coded for towing.

I had a friend who does audio work pull out the rear panel enough for me to get to the module so that was no big deal. Im going to be installing the hitch itself tomorrow so running the wires should be a bit interesting, wish me luck.

As far as coding, mine is a 2014 and I dont seem to have the secondary trailer blinker indicator either, but like your situation, everything else works properly. Parking sensors dont freak out, auto start/stop disables etc. I looked for a spot where those secondary blinker indicators might be and i didnt see anything. Not really sure whats going on with that haha.

And as far as I know if the car wasnt coded for towing at all it would disable the parking sensors or the auto stop/start, or recognize bulbs that are out on the trailer. I could be wrong, but thats what Ive heard
Old 01-25-2020, 02:10 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by tmckenna
So Im in a pretty unique situation but share some issues with you. My car came from the factory with the towing package but at some point in its life the rear hitch was removed as well as the wiring harness, but the tow module was left behind. Lucky for me that means i dont need to purchase the module and my car is already coded for towing.

I had a friend who does audio work pull out the rear panel enough for me to get to the module so that was no big deal. Im going to be installing the hitch itself tomorrow so running the wires should be a bit interesting, wish me luck.

As far as coding, mine is a 2014 and I dont seem to have the secondary trailer blinker indicator either, but like your situation, everything else works properly. Parking sensors dont freak out, auto start/stop disables etc. I looked for a spot where those secondary blinker indicators might be and i didnt see anything. Not really sure whats going on with that haha.

And as far as I know if the car wasnt coded for towing at all it would disable the parking sensors or the auto stop/start, or recognize bulbs that are out on the trailer. I could be wrong, but thats what Ive heard
Yes. You have it. It's there. Wire routes through the passenger side.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Removal? (How to?)