Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thoughts on downsizing wheel size or increasing tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 10:12 AM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Thoughts on downsizing wheel size or increasing tire size?

Hi all,

I've been thinking lately of doing one of two things, primarily prompted by the fact that New Jersey roads are absolute rubbish and they'll never fix them, and the fact that I've had to replace two tires now because they've formed bubbles from potholes. So here are the two choices...

1) Selling my current wheel sets (both sets are 21" OEM wheels) and downsizing to 20's. My primary choice would be to opt for some 20" Spyders, hoping I can source a pre-owned genuine set and throwing all-seasons on them (or 2 sets of tires, one winters and one summers).

2) Waiting until my current tires wear down where I'd have to replace all 4 - and then increase the tire profile by one step...so 295/40/21s instead of 295/35/21s, which I believe isn't a substantial difference but would love to hear everyone's feedback.

Thanks!

Pictures:
Below are the two sets of wheels that I currently have for my 13' GTS. The black Turbo II's are my winters, wrapped in Scorpion Winter Tires, and the white Turbo's are my summers wrapped in Pirelli PZero summer tires.

The following users liked this post:
DAVfoto (07-01-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 10:44 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I would check with Tire Rack and see what they recommend.

I have 19's on my diesel.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:32 PM
projectd18
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you thought about putting 275 45 21 on? Not sure if anyone try it with 30.7 diameter. 295 40 21 definitely works though
Old 06-30-2019, 06:44 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Those white wheels look fantastic. Personally,I dislike the whole "black wheel" thing.
deilenberger (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 08:32 PM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

I dumped my 21'' and went 19''. The weight of the whole wheel/tire package went from 75 lbs to 58 lbs so it handles better, especially over bad roads (unsprung rotational mass and all that). Went with a tire as wide as it'll fit on the rim and I'm running 36/42 psi pressures. The ride is pretty good and with those pressures, steering is still quick and there's no sidewall collapse in the corners. I could probably drop the pressures some more and test but this is good enough.

GTS is looking good!
CK.GTS (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The cheapest first thing would be to go up one profile-wise. I'd be tempted to do it just to improve the solid 5% over-read of my speedometer. You can download one of the speedo apps that use GPS to calculate your speed, and see whether yours is off and by how much. Then you can do the math with the tire diameter specs and see where it would go.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:58 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by CK.GTS
Hi all,

I've been thinking lately of doing one of two things, primarily prompted by the fact that New Jersey roads are absolute rubbish and they'll never fix them, and the fact that I've had to replace two tires now because they've formed bubbles from potholes. So here are the two choices...

1) Selling my current wheel sets (both sets are 21" OEM wheels) and downsizing to 20's. My primary choice would be to opt for some 20" Spyders, hoping I can source a pre-owned genuine set and throwing all-seasons on them (or 2 sets of tires, one winters and one summers).

2) Waiting until my current tires wear down where I'd have to replace all 4 - and then increase the tire profile by one step...so 295/40/21s instead of 295/35/21s, which I believe isn't a substantial difference but would love to hear everyone's feedback.

Thanks!

Pictures:
Below are the two sets of wheels that I currently have for my 13' GTS. The black Turbo II's are my winters, wrapped in Scorpion Winter Tires, and the white Turbo's are my summers wrapped in Pirelli PZero summer tires.

Right there with you on these roads. I mean I've driven in Africa and the roads there were better. This is 3rd world crap we have to deal with. I was driving down 15 and I thought that road looked like a truck with snowchains tore it up. Terrible!
I had to replace two winter tires and now my front right is leaking I think and may need to get it plugged. No bubbles on my All seasons thankfully but If I showed you a picture of the road behind my apartment complex, you would think it is Detroit or Colombia SA. I may go down to 20 Spyders as well, but I will keep these wheels for whenever I move back south out of this craphole state.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:33 PM
CK.GTS
Instructor

I hear ya. I like the white as well, but they're a pain in the neck to keep clean!
Old 07-01-2019, 02:36 PM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Right there with you on these roads. I mean I've driven in Africa and the roads there were better. This is 3rd world crap we have to deal with. I was driving down 15 and I thought that road looked like a truck with snowchains tore it up. Terrible!
I had to replace two winter tires and now my front right is leaking I think and may need to get it plugged. No bubbles on my All seasons thankfully but If I showed you a picture of the road behind my apartment complex, you would think it is Detroit or Colombia SA. I may go down to 20 Spyders as well, but I will keep these wheels for whenever I move back south out of this craphole state.
Agreed...

I think my right front is also leaking, I'm having to reinflate it slightly every month. Nothing drastic, I just know it's losing air...

There are some REALLY terrible roads near the Jersey City apartment complexes near 18th St. I mean, just terrible.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:54 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Agreed...

I think my right front is also leaking, I'm having to reinflate it slightly every month. Nothing drastic, I just know it's losing air...

There are some REALLY terrible roads near the Jersey City apartment complexes near 18th St. I mean, just terrible.
Yea that’s basically where I live. Soho loft and the other one with the construction the roads are worse then going off-roading in Colorado.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 PM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Yea that’s basically where I live. Soho loft and the other one with the construction the roads are worse then going off-roading in Colorado.
Jeeeeeeeeeesus. I'm so sorry you have to live there. I'm sure the buildings are nice, but the roads are atrocious.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:42 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Jeeeeeeeeeesus. I'm so sorry you have to live there. I'm sure the buildings are nice, but the roads are atrocious.
Yea man, I live over in Revetment which is 10th and Coles. I'm never driving that way again, I just found a screw in my tire and it was almost completely flat yesterday evening. Put the collapsable on and drove to Sears to have them plug the tire with the screw. They completed it so I should have it back tonight. Maybe check yours as well?

One other thought but this is more of an offroad tire situation, getting the 20s and going with a 265/50r20. Gives a bit more sidewall but not too much that it rubs. Though you would need new wheels for that solution.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:49 PM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Yea man, I live over in Revetment which is 10th and Coles. I'm never driving that way again, I just found a screw in my tire and it was almost completely flat yesterday evening. Put the collapsable on and drove to Sears to have them plug the tire with the screw. They completed it so I should have it back tonight. Maybe check yours as well?

One other thought but this is more of an offroad tire situation, getting the 20s and going with a 265/50r20. Gives a bit more sidewall but not too much that it rubs. Though you would need new wheels for that solution.
It's worth a thought..was tossing around the idea of getting a set of 20" OZ wheels and throwing some fat tires on them..
Old 07-04-2019, 10:46 AM
rich022
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go 20's if you have that option. I'm on 21's and recently switched from the factory 295-35 to 285-40 which happily removed that low profile look/feel of the 35 ratio.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:11 PM
CK.GTS
Instructor

Originally Posted by rich022
I would go 20's if you have that option. I'm on 21's and recently switched from the factory 295-35 to 285-40 which happily removed that low profile look/feel of the 35 ratio.
Thanks Rich. If I can find a set of matte black sypders I’ll definitely go that route. Have any photos of your new tire setup? Has the quality of the ride improved?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on downsizing wheel size or increasing tire size?