oil service reset tool

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 04:43 PM
pmb9484
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil service reset tool

Hey guys,

So about to undergo my first oil change for newly acquired '16 CD and was curious what people are using for resetting the oil service light?

I have searched the forums and seems like people mostly use duremetric or icarsoft. Prefer not to spend $150+ for something that should be built into the car anyway. I really don't need anything fancy, just want to be able to switch off the oil service light. Anyone found anything that works?

thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 04:44 PM
l8tebr8ke
Instructor

I'm in the same boat....any suggestions appreciated.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:23 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I use Duremetric. Well worth the cost. IMHO.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:54 PM
schwarz633
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used this to reset the oil change interval on my 2014 CD:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOXWELL-NT5...wAAOSwHPNbA8Vi
Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

You just can't waste money on tools. Let's say the stealership service bay will reset the light for you for a half hour at shop rate. That still going to cost more after 3 trips than buying the $150 dollar tool. I agree it should be something accessible and completed from the menu screen or some press and hold sequence but unfortunately that's not the case.
The following users liked this post:
timmyz06 (10-08-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 01:29 AM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts

I use the POR tool. It works well on my '14 CTT and '14 GT3.

It will reset the lights, read codes, and will also allow you to get an accurate mm reading from the oil level sensor which is helpful when it is time to refill the oil after an oil change.

Well worth the $150 if you do a fair amount of your own work...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/iCarsoft-P7....c100005.m1851
timmyz06 (10-08-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 09:05 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I also got an iCarsoft but the new V 2.0 looks even better and has more features.

I am happy to be able to reset any of the oil change reminder/warning messages and any of the other service reminders so a dealer visit is not necessary. This makes it worthwhile for having any tool to reset that pesky message.
timmyz06 (10-08-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 PM
the head
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I couldn't get the Durametric to work on my 13 CTT, but the Icarsoft POR II works fine.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:19 PM
pmb9484
Intermediate

What else do you guys realistically do with either Durametric or icarsoft that make them worth it?
Old 04-20-2019, 04:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by pmb9484
What else do you guys realistically do with either Durametric or icarsoft that make them worth it?
Or iCarScan..

Any advanced code reader is rather obviously best used for diagnostics. Got a check engine light? Yeah - visiting Autozone and using the generic one will get you the generic codes. It may even get some extended manufacturer specific codes (P1000-1999), but it won't tell you accurately what the extended codes mean. You'll have to search the web or beg to find out what they're telling you. What NO generic tool will get you is access to ALL the modules (about 35 of them on a Cayenne, depending on options, and "module" = a dedicated computer control basically). Each of these modules now has memory. It's capable of storing error codes - things it thinks have happened that shouldn't have happened. On something like a 911 - that might include over-rev incidents (money-shifts), on something as common as a window controller module (part of the door module usually) it might report errors reading the state of the switch controlling the window - communications errors - things like that. These are the same error codes Porsche uses to diagnose your car with their horrendously expensive PIWIS. In some cases you also can activate things on the module (make a window go up or down - to see if the control module is bad, or a switch is bad, or the window regulator is wonky..)

All of that is what you can do. Using some tools on some vehicles you can do things like reprogramming settings on the module, such as the air-suspension-system. Have a corner that's low? Why? Read out what's happening on the diagnostics tool. If you replaced a part and it needs calibration to work correctly (like air-suspension would) - you need a tool capable of doing that.

And the best thing you can do with the tool - is asking here for advice. You'll quite commonly see people come here with some odd problem - and ask for help. Often the first question asked is "What codes are showing?" - the other users here might be able to help you based on the information you provide them.

Don't mind being locked to a dealer who will do all your repairs and maintenance? Then a diagnostics tool will be worthless to you, as long as you trust the dealer 100% to do an accurate and correct job and never charge for unneeded work. Otherwise - if not - the small cost of a diagnostics tool is less than an oil change at a dealership, and you are driving an expensive (to buy, AND to maintain) vehicle. Might make sense to man up and get a tool you can use. Good part about it is - there is a ready market for these tools used, so the actual cost of them is really trivial if you sell it when you're done with the car.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:45 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

In my case I use mine for quite a few things. I run a full scan of all the cars during normal maintenance as well as any time the wife reports some occurrence of anything she finds odd. This helps keep an eye on things beyond what is observable by sound, sight and feel. That helps to build a reasonably clear picture of what the values of all the systems are within normal operation. When the vehicle does throw a code this information helps to build a list of the possibilities for the code. Since I do general maintenance myself on all our vehicles I print out that report and attach it to the documentation and receipts for the supplies for that maintenance.

More vehicle specific reasons as things like setting the electronic parking brakes on the Volvo and Porsche to the service position during brake services. Running the battery monitoring system calibration procedure on the Volvo when swapping the battery. Active load testing of the alternators all four makes that we own. Just recently caught a slow O2 sensor on the SRT-10. The Volvo and the Lexus both lack oil pressure gauges in the cluster so it's nice to be able to check and record those pressures at or in between oil changes.

I like being able to actively test different electrical components on them as part of mileage interval services. Mostly I like not being completely in the dark if and when something goes wrong and the repair is beyond something I am either capable of or just not tooled to tackle at home and start having to pay someone. I spent a long time racing motorcycles and I'm almost clinically psychotic about preparation and maintenance. I don't expect everyone to operate at the same level. The queen travels to the airport a lot so it is also highly important to me that her cars be in top notch operating condition. When she lands in the evening or early morning hours hers needs to work every time.

I spent quite a bit more on my tool than most would be willing to pay and frankly is more tool than most would need. In the end it all depends on how much you want to know or be involved in maintaining the vehicles you drive. It's not for everyone. Some folks are just happy to let others do it and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:56 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Is the icarsoft tool better than the Duremetric Enthusiast?
Old 04-20-2019, 06:56 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

I can't speak for the iCarsoft tool but the advantage to me in my Autel is that it isn't brand specific like the Durametric. I am sure the Durametric is a good tool but it is a Porsche specific tool.
Goody (05-28-2020)
Old 04-20-2019, 09:05 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have two tools and they both work well
icarscan - have about 5 car brands for service resets and other code reading and testing etc. does a ton of stuff I’ll probably never use for.
foxwell 520- also does resets etc. bought to try and get over rev data (dme) off manual transmission cars when I’m doing my own ppi on them. However haven’t used it yet for that(and couldn’t find it on automatic cayenne during last oil change, so maybe it doesn’t have it?? But was told it did.....).
Both tools do similar things but have different layout, ones an obvious hand held the other connects to your phone. They both do brake bleeding, transmission adaptations and all sorts of other things. The icarscan can supposedly code keys also(if you elect that software).... haven’t tried it though.
If you plan on doing any work in your cars I also suggest some type of scan tool.
Also with the cost of dealership oil changes, figure it pays for itself in 1 oil change.
i love the icarscan and have used it on Mazda, mini, Ford, and the porsches.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:59 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I use the icarsoft
I changed the oil today with vacuum extraction from dipstick
84 dollars and reset reminders with icarsoft
I can’t imagine 450 dollars for 30 minutes of therapy

It's a good tool
aquamahn (06-18-2023)

Quick Reply: oil service reset tool