Sponsored By:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ thoughts and or reviews

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:47 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ thoughts and or reviews

I need to get a summer/all season this week and I have been debating on these, the Latitude sports which I heard have terrible tread wear and maybe the pirellis.
These seem like a pretty good deal at 338 a tire with a 70 dollar rebate and good treadwear at 500 AA A. I know that a lot of people recommend the DWS on here but I didn't love them really when I had them on my X5 so want to go a different route.

Does anyone run these and have any experience with how the wear and ride? Will their be a massive tradeoff with handling vs a summer or will it be not as noticeable? I do want to autocross this thing at least one but not going to do it on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Got the answer I needed from this thread, for the most part:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...n-tires-3.html

Sorry for the lack of searching but I just want an A/S tire that is as close to possible as a summer tire in the dry. DWS was soft and wafey for me.
The following users liked this post:
aryork (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 12:35 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

I just ordered Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for a '16 base.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:50 PM
Daskoff
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a bubble in my sidewall on the A/S 3 Plus and needed one replacement tire. Called all Porsche dealers in DFW area - all said they only stock the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 all season which superseded the A/S 3. Had to go to Discount tires to order a new one. I may look at the A/S 4 when it's time to change. I have an '18 GTS on 21 inch wheels. I love the handling of the A/S 3, especially with the PDCC but a little loud on highway driving....may look at the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus as they have a bit better rating on noise than the A/S 3.
aryork (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 08:07 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I switched out my 21” “summer” set to the pilot sport a/s 3+ last September, put my winters on for the winter and then put them
bavk on in April and have had them since, probably 3k miles total and I’m really happy with them all around. When these wear out I will go with the newer 4 version.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:17 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Thanks for replying...now we have an updated thread! TBH I got overwhelmed with the choices and just about almost closed my eyes and put my finger on the computer screen to choose. Actually, my son had the same tire (or something close) on a Fiat Abarth and it seemed pretty good so that made the decision for me.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:22 PM
Daskoff
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Daskoff
Had a bubble in my sidewall on the A/S 3 Plus and needed one replacement tire. Called all Porsche dealers in DFW area - all said they only stock the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 all season which superseded the A/S 3. Had to go to Discount tires to order a new one. I may look at the A/S 4 when it's time to change. I have an '18 GTS on 21 inch wheels. I love the handling of the A/S 3, especially with the PDCC but a little loud on highway driving....may look at the Pirelli Scorpion Zero A/S Plus as they have a bit better rating on noise than the A/S 3.

So I was supposed to go in tomorrow morning to have my new tire installed......Discount tire just called me and said that they do not have the tire and not sure when or even if they will get any new ones since Michelin stopped production of the A/S 3 - not sure why they sold me the tire in the first place AND they are still showing available for purchase on their website. So now I have to buy 2 new front tires so I can match the brand and model...ugh. So for those of you who ordered the A/S 3 better check with your suppliers/retailer.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:26 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Daskoff
So I was supposed to go in tomorrow morning to have my new tire installed......Discount tire just called me and said that they do not have the tire and not sure when or even if they will get any new ones since Michelin stopped production of the A/S 3...
Ha! I ordered from Discount Tire too, this morning. I'll call them in the morning.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:36 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I got mine from tire rack last fall and they had mid 2020 production dates at the time. Tire rack has the 2 year warranty on them and in the warranty it states they only replace, not repair on Porsche, so I’m curious what they would do in a scenario if I had a road hazard on one of them.

I got curious and just started looking, they don’t even make the 4 in a 295 35 21? Tire rack and Michelin direct only shows up to 285 for
a 21”.

Last edited by volcanogts; 06-29-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:21 PM
Daskoff
4th Gear

Originally Posted by volcanogts
I got mine from tire rack last fall and they had mid 2020 production dates at the time. Tire rack has the 2 year warranty on them and in the warranty it states they only replace, not repair on Porsche, so I’m curious what they would do in a scenario if I had a road hazard on one of them.

I got curious and just started looking, they don’t even make the 4 in a 295 35 21? Tire rack and Michelin direct only shows up to 285 for
a 21”.
Yeah that is weird - Discount Tire carries the A/S 4 in that size...at least on their website AND they are cheaper than the A/S 3.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:19 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Drama continues with Discount Tire. I called this morning and the person I spoke with said it would be longer than expected but they can get them (Pilot Sport A/S 3). Then about two hours later I got an email saying my tires are in and ready to be mounted. Turns out that was true, and the guy I talked with was checking the Michelin national site and the guy in the know who processed my web order got them from SC (I'm in NC). Should get them on Saturday
Old 06-30-2021, 08:44 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 302 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
I need to get a summer/all season this week and I have been debating on these, the Latitude sports which I heard have terrible tread wear and maybe the pirellis.
These seem like a pretty good deal at 338 a tire with a 70 dollar rebate and good treadwear at 500 AA A. I know that a lot of people recommend the DWS on here but I didn't love them really when I had them on my X5 so want to go a different route.

Does anyone run these and have any experience with how the wear and ride? Will their be a massive tradeoff with handling vs a summer or will it be not as noticeable? I do want to autocross this thing at least one but not going to do it on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance!
Please forgive me for asking, are Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II completely out of the question?
Old 07-01-2021, 10:58 AM
lacibaci
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
Please forgive me for asking, are Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II completely out of the question?
Same here. I am considering Michelins but Pirellis are almost $100 cheaper (per tire)
Old 07-01-2021, 12:58 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lacibaci
Same here. I am considering Michelins but Pirellis are almost $100 cheaper (per tire)
I put the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II's on my car a few months back. Ordered them online via Discount Tire to be put on at my local Discount Tire store. They were available locally and had them on the very next day. Around $1,100 total out the door.

So far no complaints. Quiet ride and handling seems solid.

Some discussion on these over on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...alignment.html

Last edited by JoeShark; 07-01-2021 at 12:59 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JoeShark:
Dr. G7 (07-01-2021), lacibaci (07-01-2021), wkearney99 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 01:26 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
Thanks for replying...now we have an updated thread! TBH I got overwhelmed with the choices and just about almost closed my eyes and put my finger on the computer screen to choose.
Ugh, I'm likewise due to replace the Eagle LS2 on my '17 GTS. The paralysis of TOO MANY CHOICES.
Dr. G7 (07-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ thoughts and or reviews