Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ thoughts and or reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 11:53 AM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 115 Posts

I've been very happy with my Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II's, but they are definitely more of a comfort tire (which is what I was looking for). Very smooth, soft, and quiet.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:23 PM
911guyinaz
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I have used these on other cars........perfect all season.. I will be putting them on my Turbo S........
Old 07-02-2021, 01:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Ugh, I'm likewise due to replace the Eagle LS2 on my '17 GTS. The paralysis of TOO MANY CHOICES.
Well, if it makes things easier, my opinion is that Michelin tires are the best tires out there. There’s a reason they are the most expensive and why Nordschleife track times are often setting records with cars using Michelin tires.

There are plenty of other tires that excel in one or two areas over the Michelin’s. Pirelli, summer only, for example, are good when hot and sticky, but really are generally terrible when it’s cold out (50F). They are fine when they warm up. The all seasons might be better in that regard.

My advice is to look at Tire Rack Tests (not reviews, not ratings). The tests. They test the same car in every test (usually a BMW 3-Series) for wet, dry, snow, braking, race track, comfort, and noise, etc. Find out what’s most important to you. To me, I go for maximum wet and cold performance because Chicagoland is, on average, 50F and wet (snow is melted with salt in the winter, and we only get 159 days of sun). So I found a tire that’s like 25% better in the wet/cold but only giving up 4% dry traction in the summer heat. Back then, that tire, the Continental DWS was tested in the arctic circle and had 50% better traction on snow and ice compared to all other all seasons. My Boxster S destroyed other cars in 6” of snow, lol. The fact that Tire Rack took their cars and tires to test in the Arctic Circle is awesome. Who cares what Johnny Opinion says, those tests are a great measure to go on.

Fast forward to 4 years ago, I chose the Michelin AS/3 for my 911 because that particular tire almost had zero downsides compared to the competition in the same AS category. Look at the test results, it was pretty amazing.

No tire can do it all. Some want the best hot/summer performance because they only drive in the summer. Others buy a tire 1/2 the cost because they like to destroy them on the track, and they can replace those tires without killing the bank.

You also might not be able to find the tire you love in the size you want. Second best is still going to be a great tire.

One last thing: my Michelin’s have almost 20,000 miles on them and still have plenty of life.

Ok, one more thing: I recommend Road Force Balancing once you do replace the tires, and have the alignment checked. If you aren’t happy with the results, you can ask others what their alignment settings are, because alignment settings can really have a big impact on how the vehicle handles, and how much tire wear you have. Someone like me might get 20,000 miles on the same tire and car compared to 6,000 miles for someone else, all because of the alignment settings. Their car might handle a lot better, but my car saves the tire (hardly any camber, hardly any toe). I run stock air pressures as well, even though many others like to adjust theirs to suit their needs.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 07-02-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:43 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

Got the Pilot Sport A/S 3 installed and have done several trips on them (20-inch wheels). I have no complaints - they seem nice. Smooth ride and they do not seem to be noisy on the road. I am not a luxury ride connoisseur, however.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (07-18-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 04:26 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

I went with 20" Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my '17 GTS. I found there wasn't a convenient stock of the tires elsewhere and the dealer wasn't charging significantly more than I was seeing online (if they had been available). I probably didn't need the added alignment and that was certainly more than I'd probably pay elsewhere. But Porsche Bethesda has handled all the other stuff for the vehicle and they got me in/out in 2 hours for tires and alignment. Maybe a little worth paying a bit extra not to have to stew in stinking rubber smell of the waiting area in a tire shop?

Just did a 1k trip to/from MD/Vermont. Tires were maybe tiny bit louder than the Eagle LS2 they replaced (but those were well worn out, so not a direct comparison). Ride was excellent, though I need to air down a bit from the 40/45 pressure the dealer set for them. On the Eagles I found 35/39 cold provided a somewhat smoother ride without getting sloppy or introducing oddball wear. My tire gauge was under all the packed bags so I didn't have a chance to tweak the pressures.

The trip was mostly highway miles at high speed and it tracked as flawlessly as before. Had one sudden traffic swerve (asshat cutting over without knowing the traffic was going to slow and near panic-stopped in front of us) and it was perfectly planted for the abrupt lane change. Gotta love Porsche handling.

I'll say this though, I don't know if it's the combination of the sapphire blue paint or the PDLS+ headlights, but it sure seems like other drivers panic like I'm driving a police vehicle when I come up behind them. I'm not talking bombing in behind them at high speed like a gotcha speed pacing trap, just leisurely coming up behind and they get all 'proper driving habits' with lane change signaling and speed. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to have them GTFO of the way, but ya wonder sometimes...
The following 2 users liked this post by wkearney99:
aryork (08-22-2021), Dr. G7 (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 07:16 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 302 Likes on 248 Posts

I'll say this though, I don't know if it's the combination of the sapphire blue paint or the PDLS+ headlights, but it sure seems like other drivers panic like I'm driving a police vehicle when I come up behind them. I'm not talking bombing in behind them......
You ever seen stood in parking lot and had someone drive the Cayenne towards you? You'd be surprised to see the spaceship like vehicle approaching. It is unlike anything else.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:21 PM
Dr. G7
Three Wheelin'

Received 302 Likes on 248 Posts

Ugh, I'm likewise due to replace the Eagle LS2 on my '17 GTS. The paralysis of TOO MANY CHOICES.
Can't go wrong with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus or Michelin Pilot Sport.

But I swear I'm going to get nokian hakkapeliitta. Just because I cannot pronounce that Ikea name
Old 08-22-2021, 07:59 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G7
You ever seen stood in parking lot and had someone drive the Cayenne towards you? You'd be surprised to see the spaceship like vehicle approaching. It is unlike anything else.
Ha, you're probably right!
Old 08-23-2021, 08:15 AM
rennsport44
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m not sure if others have experienced this but I just installed a set of 21” Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 on my Cayenne and they are the noisiest tires I’ve ever had. At 70-75 mph the hum is unbearable. Bad at 80-85 as well. The same exact experience on my X5 with the same tires and same speed. They handle
well I guess but it’s hard to believe such an expensive tire would be so unpleasant to drive on a road trip. Seriously even cranking up the Bose stereo barely helps. Shame. 3k in tires.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:12 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rennsport44
I’m not sure if others have experienced this but I just installed a set of 21” Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 on my Cayenne and they are the noisiest tires I’ve ever had. At 70-75 mph the hum is unbearable. Bad at 80-85 as well. The same exact experience on my X5 with the same tires and same speed. They handle well I guess but it’s hard to believe such an expensive tire would be so unpleasant to drive on a road trip. Seriously even cranking up the Bose stereo barely helps. Shame. 3k in tires.
Huh, perhaps they made tread pattern changes between the 3 and 4 series? Or the change from 20" to 21? I don't have the double-insulated glass, so the interior isn't 'extra quiet'. Almost all of my driving crosses those speed ranges and I didn't pick up any changes in tire noises at different speeds. If anything I kill the PSE tailpipe noise to cut down on the drone a bit when there's no one else nearby, and even with it off there wasn't obvious tire noise.

Were yours noisy right from the start, or did it only start with later tread wear?
Old 08-23-2021, 12:26 PM
rennsport44
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

They have been noisy right from the start on both vehicles. Cayenne has 1000 miles on tires, X5 has around 6,000 I think. The X5 has the M sport 20” staggered wheel setup. Same speeds produce the obnoxious high pitched hum. It’s atrocious really. I wonder if I should have opted for the A/S 3+…. 😔

Last edited by rennsport44; 08-23-2021 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (08-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ thoughts and or reviews