Sponsored by:

Recommendations for all season tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 06:27 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Ummm... nice thread - but the prior response was from January 2015..

Apparently the dead (threads) do arise and walk among us..

SB27 - don't let that dampen your enthusiasm.
LOL. I did a search on "replacement tires for Turbo" and the results were all over the place (and mostly old info). Not sure if some of the tires discussed were even still available or had changed names/model numbers. Hence bringing a dead thread "back to life".

I still stand by my Pirelli Scorpion Snow/Ice comment. Damn good tire -- especially for those of us with 21 inch wheels that did not want to have to buy new wheels and simply spend $100 2x a year swapping summer and winter tires.

Hope that's ok!

(while I have you here: what are some favored 21 inch summer tires now? LOL. :-))
Old 12-24-2018, 09:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

One comment on the Pirelli Scorpion Snow/Ice - they get VERY noisy as they wear. I have about 1/8" left to the wear bars, but I'll never get there - damn things are annoyingly noisy (and I'm somewhat hard of hearing due to riding motorcycles for 4 decades..)
Old 12-25-2018, 12:57 AM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3+.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:09 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whitegalaxie
Thanks. Just looked at the reviews of this tire at Tire Rack. Wow. I am not sure I have ever seen a tire this highly rated across all categories. Amazing. Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:21 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitegalaxie
I want these as my next set after the Continentals are shot. Anyone has these on their Cayenne yet? Feedback would be great. Thank you
Old 12-26-2018, 07:23 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 632 Posts

Vredestein Quadtrac 5
Old 12-27-2018, 05:10 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I was going to go with the Conti DWS06 but scored a killer deal on a set of Nitto NT421Q from www.simpletire.com in 275/45R20

The taller profile definitely improved aesthetics and comfort but I do feel that it lost some handling performance.

So far so good, haven't had any winter weather yet down here in Arkansas.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:53 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

@Rossi,
I just put the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ on my 2004 Cayenne Turbo earlier this month. So far I am very happy with them. They handle very well in the big rain we get here in the Washington DC area and Michelin insists they manage the cold very well and will be fine in the limited snow (think no more then a few inches for most storms). If I lived somewhere that got more snow more often or extremely cold winters (constantly well below freezing) I would have gone with dedicated Winter and Summer tires. I had Conti DWS 06s on the Cayenne and on my 997.2 Targa 4 before and I was not at all happy with their wet performance once they got down to below 6/32" of tread depth and on the Targa the Conti's were downright scary in the rain at freeway speeds with 6/32" on the outside edges and 3/32" on the inside edges (typical 997.2 wear pattern). The Conti's also didn't do well in the cold or snow at the last 6/32" as I couldn't even get up my (somewhat steep) driveway with just an inch of snow on it with out a lot of effort. I don't have long term experience yet with the AS 3+ but based on previous experience with Michelin tires I am confident for now. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:25 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbaker136
@Rossi,
I just put the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ on my 2004 Cayenne Turbo earlier this month. So far I am very happy with them. They handle very well in the big rain we get here in the Washington DC area and Michelin insists they manage the cold very well and will be fine in the limited snow (think no more then a few inches for most storms). If I lived somewhere that got more snow more often or extremely cold winters (constantly well below freezing) I would have gone with dedicated Winter and Summer tires. I had Conti DWS 06s on the Cayenne and on my 997.2 Targa 4 before and I was not at all happy with their wet performance once they got down to below 6/32" of tread depth and on the Targa the Conti's were downright scary in the rain at freeway speeds with 6/32" on the outside edges and 3/32" on the inside edges (typical 997.2 wear pattern). The Conti's also didn't do well in the cold or snow at the last 6/32" as I couldn't even get up my (somewhat steep) driveway with just an inch of snow on it with out a lot of effort. I don't have long term experience yet with the AS 3+ but based on previous experience with Michelin tires I am confident for now. Good luck.
Great information. Thank you. I was going to ask about the Conti DWS 06's also and you answered my question in advance.

Good luck with your AS 3+ and Happy New Year.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:25 AM
Pillow
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaker136
@Rossi,
Interesting... My experiences have been opposite of yours on other vehicles, no Cayenne content. A/S3s are insanely good on dry and wet... Suck on any snow and IMO shouldn't be considered a real AS tire. Granted this was on a CTS-V which is RWD and no matter traction on/off they sucked in mild snow in NoVA. A/S3 are a great tire, but not up to snow even when new from my experiences.

The Conti DWS and DWS06 have been great for our mixed all season weather in NoVA. Very capable in a few inches of snow and excellent wet performance. Dry yes, you loose a little bit in sidewall flex and ultimate grip, but IMO the DWS is a true AS with a great blend of performance. Very predictable when driven to the limits of adhesion which helps in the twisties as well At this point most of our normal passenger cars are running DWS tires.

The TireRack tests and reviews are pretty spot on my take as well. They have a good comparison of the HP AS tires on their website.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:12 PM
xrtdr
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
I have a 2016 Cayenne SE Hybrid, OEM Goodyear Eagle LS2 with 44K miles.
Time to replace all-seasons for a mix of freeway and city driving with 4 seasons in Northern Ohio.
I did not like these tires in wet conditions.
They weren't awful in snow.
Any recommendations between the N rated options (Michelin, Continental, Pirelli and Goodyear, or others I may not be aware of?)

Thanks
Old 09-07-2019, 04:26 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I put Nokian Hakkapellitas on my CTT last year and they were sensational in snow and quite stable on wet.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:11 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 549 Likes on 372 Posts

I am running Conti DWS and overall very pleased so far.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:17 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DWPC
I put Nokian Hakkapellitas on my CTT last year and they were sensational in snow and quite stable on wet.
I wish the Hakkapellita's were easier to get in Canada - which is kind of crazy. The best snow tires on earth in one of the snowiest countries on earth and what does Nokian do? Sign an exclusivity deal with a single retailer.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Have Conti DWPS on the GTS- I like them.

CTTS has some garbage noisy *** Pirellis. Cannot recommend.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for all season tires