Sponsored By:

P000C - Intake cam position slow

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default P000C - Intake cam position slow

Well, this error, which had happened infrequently in cold weather at startup a couple of times now happened in relatively warm 45 degree weather. Based on that it looks like it's time to replace the sensor but is there any reason to replace them both? I've just turned 110K and it doesn't look like too bad a job.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
Well, this error, which had happened infrequently in cold weather at startup a couple of times now happened in relatively warm 45 degree weather. Based on that it looks like it's time to replace the sensor but is there any reason to replace them both? I've just turned 110K and it doesn't look like too bad a job.
Somehow I don't think this is a sensor caused error. That would show something like "Improbable signal.." - I'd much more suspect the solenoid that controls the oil flow to the Variocam adjuster. Or the filter to that solenoid. Does it tell you which bank is slow?
Old 03-19-2019, 07:40 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

It's bank 2. The sensor is listed as one probable cause and it's the least expensive to fix at ~ $50.

Last edited by Tom M; 03-19-2019 at 08:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Iticip (09-09-2024)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:14 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts

Subscribed. I have gotten this message twice since November. I just clear it and keep going. But would like to get to the bottom of it.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:18 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Mine always seems to happen in cold weather startup and is fairly intermittent. My first occurrence was last October followed by January with the most recent in March.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Mine always seems to happen in cold weather startup and is fairly intermittent. My first occurrence was last October followed by January with the most recent in March.
What weight and type of oil are you using? And what's "cold"..?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

I run M1 0-40 and cold, in this case, is below freezing but above 20 F. It's been about 6K miles since the last change but it's happened earlier in the same oil change. I've run the same for about 4 years with early oil changes so nothing has really changed in that sense.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

That shouldn't be cold enough to cause enough oil thickening to slow down the actuation.. so, since I have AllDataDIY open anyway:
Originally Posted by AllDataDIY
P000C

Diagnosis information - Control unit DME (DFI)

Adjustment Intake camshaft Bank 2

Diagnostic conditions
  • Short test perform
or:
  • Oil temperature Engine -10 ... +120 °C (°F)
  • Engine speed 1200 ... 6000 1/min
  • none of the following faults stored: P0010, P0020, P2088, P2089, P2092, P2093
Possible fault causes

• Solenoid valve, hydraulic camshaft adjustment Faulty -->(e.g. Mechanical fault or Soiling (Oil circuit))
  • Engine oil pressure too low -->(e.g. Oil dilution, Oil thickening Oil quality incorrect, Oil pressure control or Oil pump Faulty)
  • Camshaft adjustment Faulty
  • Intake camshaft stuck
Fault setting condition(s)
  • Deviation Actual value - Nominal value > 10°Intake camshaft
or
  • Adjustment Intake camshaft slow
Did you notice what the first possible cause is? The possible faults are usually given in order of possibility.. (most probable first.) I'll repeat what I think I said before - there IS a filter on the input of the solenoid, at least on early 958 V8's, and it has been known to get plugged up causing slow response. THAT is where if it was me - I'd look first. Unfortunately - it's located under the valve cover so it's a bit of a chore to get to (and you should replace the valve cover gaskets - all of them - if doing this job..)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:34 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Ok, here's my oil specs amsoil European 5w-40. Mine happens in weather above 40 Fahrenheit. Always after startup. Maybe 5 minutes into the first drive.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:36 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

My oil is a true group 4 synthetic so I know it's not a viscosity problem. My oil is fresh also.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Since mine happens at startup it does make sense that it's an initial pressure related problem. A partially clogged screen could do that until there's enough pressure to overcome a partial blockage. Since the frequency is so low and not very repeatable I may wait a bit instead of shotgunning the solution.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:17 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Since mine happens at startup it does make sense that it's an initial pressure related problem. A partially clogged screen could do that until there's enough pressure to overcome a partial blockage. Since the frequency is so low and not very repeatable I may wait a bit instead of shotgunning the solution.
Tom, that is my approach as well.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

What both of you might consider is doing some short-change interval oil changes. I might suggest adding CD-2 oil-detergent additive to the oil about 500 miles before the oil change. It worked wonders on some BMW motorcycles that used to gum up a sprag-clutch. As I mentioned - this isn't a new problem. Others have experienced it - and either replaced the solenoid (that actually also changed the filter) or simply cleaned the filter. It's more like a strainer.. From memory - Porsche eliminated the strainer on later models.

Note there are 3 versions of the Actuator Camshaft - that means production revisions. The highest last number is the current version, probably without a strainer. https://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.co...ve-94810530407

The valve isn't cheap ($300 or so) and getting to it isn't simple - so using some CD2 oil detergent (make SURE it's the "detergent" not oil additive) might well be worth a try, especially if you haven't owned the car from new and don't have any history on past owners oil change habits.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:50 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

It looks like that valve lives between the cams. I haven't had a valve cover off yet. Or seen a picture of one removed.

But I did do an amsoil oil flush before my last oil change. And will probably do it again. I am very very leary about adding anything to the oil. Or to the fuel system for matter. Who knows..... The flush may have caused the problem. Would be very easy to have freed some detritus that plugged the darn thing. I will look into the detergent you recommended.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
It looks like that valve lives between the cams. I haven't had a valve cover off yet. Or seen a picture of one removed.

But I did do an amsoil oil flush before my last oil change. And will probably do it again. I am very very leary about adding anything to the oil. Or to the fuel system for matter. Who knows..... The flush may have caused the problem. Would be very easy to have freed some detritus that plugged the darn thing. I will look into the detergent you recommended.
What does an Amsoil oil flush consist of? And yes - it might have been the cause of your problems, especially if oil changes had been neglected.

Quick Reply: P000C - Intake cam position slow