Sponsored By:

different tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 04:10 PM
wakame
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default different tires?

the front of my LS2 is worn, however, the rear are still at 7/32. Should I just replace the whole set to something else or just buy 2 LS2 for the front? my dealer can get them for 214/ea N1 spec.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:03 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

If you go for all as a replacement you'd no longer be stuck with the LS2 - you can open your car up to a myriad of better behaving/performing tires (or tyres - depending on where you are located.) I've never heard anyone rave about the LS2's performance characteristics.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:39 PM
TCMdiesel
Cruisin'

I bought my '16 Diesel this past April and one of the tires was more worn than the other three. It came with LS2s and I was very impressed with the ride quality; so much that I was always surprised to read some less than flattering comments on the LS2s. With the coming winter weather I decided to switch to Vredestein Quatrac 5 along with a full alignment (good thing I did, btw) in October. Unfortunately for me, the LS2 definitely had a nicer ride; the Vredestein isn't as smooth-rolling and conducts more structure-borne noise (vibration). I do feel better about the rain/snow traction as it is my wife's daily driver. If you're happy with the ride as-is, $214 is a good price.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:44 AM
RS-America
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 102 Posts

Tire selection depends on how & where you drive. There is not an N-spec tire suitable for what we do.
Look at usual tire selection guides like Tire Rack for the best match. We used up our '13 Diesel N-spec tires on a season of Autocross.
For us Grabber AT2s did alright - switching to KO2s for three season.
Nokian studded Hakkapeliitta's are the best winter tire for us.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:38 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a set of 19" LS2 tires in the classifieds for sale. They are in excellent condition with minimal wear. You can find the add by clicking here. $400 for the set,
Old 02-23-2019, 09:53 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

No way I'd stay with the LS2's. IMO, the worst tire I've had on any of my vehicles in years (and I've gone through quite a few). Only good thing about them was the ride quality. Yeah, they were relatively quiet and lasted awhile but they were terrible on wet roads and even worse in any type of snow or ice. I got rid of mine last fall and still had 6/32's on them. No way I was going into another winter with them.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:27 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

When I bought my CD the dealer had just put a set of LS2s on it. It looks like I'm going to be in a similar situation as the OP as the fronts are wearing significantly faster than the rears. I'll say they are not the worst tires I've ever had but, they are not something I would have chosen.They are reasonably quiet and ride nice which is good for swallowing highway miles (something the CD does really well) but, they definitely leave something to be desired in the handling and inclement weather departments. They are still way better than the dueler RFTs that came on my X5 which didn't handle, howled like crazy after about 6k miles, wore unevenly, rode like steel train wheels and were about $400 a tire at the time.

I was hoping to get enough miles out of them to make me feel like there was an acceptable trade off in handling vs lifespan but, at 16K the front are looking pretty beat. At that point I'd rather have something that handles and be able to enjoy the drive a bit more. If they would last @30K miles I might feel differently about them but, <20K miles for their level of grip is no bueno. My long term plan is to put winter tires on these rims and source something sportier for the other 9-10 months of the year here but, I have no idea what that would be yet. So I may end up just biting the bullet and putting on a set of fronts on until I figure that out.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:31 PM
wakame
Advanced

have you found anything to your liking yet? I am in the same boat. I gather replace them all instead of just 2. I have my eyes on the Yokohma parada, they are pretty cheap, saw a couple of rave review on it. If I could, the Michelin pilot A/S 3+ will be the choice.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:32 PM
wakame
Advanced

what did you switch to? I am leaning to just scrap them all.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I haven't found much yet. I've still got some time before they need to be replaced but, have started looking around. Seems like the 19" size limits our options. I may try to find a set of 20" take offs, it looks like it opens up some more options.

Quick Reply: different tires?