Sponsored By:

High Coolant Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 05:09 PM
porschedad_73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by element
I have the same on my 15 CS.. i can smell it, but cant find any trails... dealer smelled it as well on drop off, but cant find it - level was a bit low and topped up. I need to take off all the covers and poke around and do a end of warranty visit.

Wish this thing was air-cooled :P

phil.
Definitely report back if you or the dealer finds something. I actually took off all the covers but wasn't able to find any evidence of leak anywhere. Like it just vanished in thin air.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedad_73
Definitely report back if you or the dealer finds something. I actually took off all the covers but wasn't able to find any evidence of leak anywhere. Like it just vanished in thin air.
You really have to start below the car. On my '06 - I paid my local friendly indy mechanic $25 just to have the car up in the air on his lift for 30 minutes. I spent the 30 minutes with a mag-light and my cell phone camera. The results were - I found a trail, documented it, and turned it over to the dealer with printed out copies of the photos telling them I expected it to be fixed when I picked the car up (almost last CPO service visit.) They had the car for 3 days - they finally fixed it. Once I showed them the pictures there was no way they could say they couldn't find it - all they had to do was follow the trail upwards.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:09 AM
AMCPILOT
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 22 Posts

This is what I found on mine. May be similar to what your problem is.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...you-think.html
Old 02-09-2019, 06:25 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

AMCPILOT has found another source of leaking that should not be overlooked. The plastic vent pipe in the V. So now we have 3 potential leaks. The t-stat housing the rear crossover pipe and the vent piping. Fortunately they can all be fixed for good. But it does require a bit of work. I am putting a parts list together and will do a tutorial for all three issues at the same time.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:27 PM
Starco
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Originally Posted by porschedad_73
I have a 2015 Cayenne S with about 30k miles. The red warning message came up telling me coolant was low couple of days ago. I looked at the coolant reservoir and did see that the coolant level was way below the MIN line. Brought it into the dealer and they weren't able to find any leaks. So, they just refilled it and sent me on my way. All they said was to monitor it closely to see if the level goes back down soon before taking it seriously. It just seems odd to me that the coolant would be so low after only 30k. I've owned countless vehicles and never encountered this issue at such low mileage (unless there was a leak). Has anyone run into this same issue on their Cayenne?

-porschedad_73
My 2016 Cayenne S just having the same issue and it's only 18K miles on it. The low coolant level light came on, saying add coolant. I checked the coolant level and it was low. I saw couple of coolant dried spots in front of the engine, but it's kinda hard to find a spot where is it leaking from. I added 20oz of coolant and keep my eyes on coolant level, but it's not leaking anymore, that's odd!
Any ideas masters?
Old 08-16-2021, 11:45 AM
SouthernMNSurfer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll find 2 -3 main culprits mentioned in this post and many others
  1. Thermostat housing - front of engine
  2. Coolant bridge - rear
  3. Plastic vent pipe in V of engine - goes from front to back but leaks would generally happen toward the front
However, after just going through this on my 2011 CTT in June, I'll use the adage "when you see hoofprints, think horse not zebra". I'd forgotten that so when I got the low coolant warning a couple of times then a few months later noticed a few drops of coolant on the garage floor under the front of the engine, I thought it had to be one of the "exotic" Porsche coolant issues. Even though in my younger days, almost every vehicle I owned had a V8 and experienced a water pump failure (that happens when you buy an old car that's loafing around for years and suddenly start giving it some revs ). So I got the parts (including the water pump because at 105K miles, as long as I'm at it, I may as well replace it too right?) and tore into it. Turns out the only thing that showed any signs of failure was the water pump. The bearing was very choppy and it's rear seal looked dried and crappy. As long as I had the parts and the intake off I replaced the thermostat housing and vent tube but had I known that, I may have just done the water pump and saved the thermostat housing for when I had more time.

I thought the thermostat housing was updated by 2016?

I'm not sure if a water pump that's spent a lot of time sitting can leak then reseal but it would seam like a possibility.

Last edited by SouthernMNSurfer; 08-16-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:09 PM
Starco
3rd Gear

Thank you, I guess I need to find a good mechanic.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:10 PM
Starco
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by SouthernMNSurfer
You'll find 2 -3 main culprits mentioned in this post and many others
  1. Thermostat housing - front of engine
  2. Coolant bridge - rear
  3. Plastic vent pipe in V of engine - goes from front to back but leaks would generally happen toward the front
However, after just going through this on my 2011 CTT in June, I'll use the adage "when you see hoofprints, think horse not zebra". I'd forgotten that so when I got the low coolant warning a couple of times then a few months later noticed a few drops of coolant on the garage floor under the front of the engine, I thought it had to be one of the "exotic" Porsche coolant issues. Even though in my younger days, almost every vehicle I owned had a V8 and experienced a water pump failure (that happens when you buy an old car that's loafing around for years and suddenly start giving it some revs ). So I got the parts (including the water pump because at 105K miles, as long as I'm at it, I may as well replace it too right?) and tore into it. Turns out the only thing that showed any signs of failure was the water pump. The bearing was very choppy and it's rear seal looked dried and crappy. As long as I had the parts and the intake off I replaced the thermostat housing and vent tube but had I known that, I may have just done the water pump and saved the thermostat housing for when I had more time.

I thought the thermostat housing was updated by 2016?

I'm not sure if a water pump that's spent a lot of time sitting can leak then reseal but it would seam like a possibility.
Thank you, I guess I need to find a good mechanic.

Quick Reply: High Coolant Consumption