Icarsoft POR V2.0 thread - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 For newer Cayennes than the 955/957 series
Series II
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Icarsoft POR V2.0 thread

 
Old 01-07-2019, 10:16 PM
  #1  
hotrod2448
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 239
Default Icarsoft POR V2.0 thread

I'm starting this thread to document/discuss this tool.

I recently purchased one of these to reset the oil service light and hopefully register my new battery as icarsoft claims this tool is able to do on their website and confirmed to me in an email. They also confirmed it is able to log data which I figured might be helpful for documenting the lag issue once the heat returns. They also said they plan to add coding functionality but, I'll believe that when I see it. I was able to get it off of amazon for about $150. So far it reads all the modules, is able to display their serial numbers software versions, live data on everything I've tried to look at so far both numerically and graphing. Unfortunately I've been unable to register the battery in my 30-45 minutes of messing with it so, I figured I would start a thread and see where this ends up.

Working through the menus on battery registration it gives me multiple Ah batteries to chose from then I need to select the manufacturer (Mol, Varta, and 2 apparently generic options), enter the serial number and part number of the battery. I think once I get the formatting of these figured out we'll be in business. I purchased this battery from Batteries Plus as I believe several others have as well.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...40cca/sli49agm

Of course I did not have the presence of mind to write down the serial number prior to installing and there is no guarantee that it would be in the same format as an OEM battery anyway. Either the tool or the car seems to know what the serial and part numbers should look like. It is looking for a 10 digit serial and an 11 digit part number. I've tried a few random numbers for serial numbers and a few variations of 958-611-092-21 which should be the part number for the OEM 92Ah battery and I've got a few different responses from the unit consisting of "format incorrect" and "unable to communicate".

I plan to email icarsoft tech support tomorrow to see if they have any input on this. In the meantime does anyone know the manufacturer of the OEM 92Ah battery and the format of the serial number for them? I'm assuming there are certain places for letters vs numbers and there may or may not be dots or dashes.



hotrod2448 is online now  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:37 AM
  #2  
hotrod2448
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Response has been pretty good from icarsoft on this so far. I pulled the seat yesterday to get my actual serial number and messed around going through every combination of Ah/manufacturer and format of serial/part numbers I could come up with. When the formatting was not correct it would give me an error basically stating the format was unacceptable. The other error I would get is that it could not receive a response from the vehicle. I sent a screenshot of it to icarsoft tech support and they got back to me by the end of the day with directions for getting the tool to save a file of what is happening when it tries to program so, hopefully I'll get that done today during lunch and get it out to them.
hotrod2448 is online now  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:25 PM
  #3  
kennyt
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 151
Default

that's great to hear. Keep us posted.
kennyt is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:41 AM
  #4  
ToreB
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ToreB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 1,621
Default

I coded my new original Porsche battery with my PIWIS 2. The registration is done on one page/menu in the tool, but the info on this page will still show the default configuration after registration. However, I later found out that the registered information must be read out on a different screen/menu item in the tool.
Since I thought my entered data was not registered properly, I tried to register a second time, but this was rejected. The car Gateway unit will not accept repeated registrations. I got an error message stating that the battery change procedure was not done correctly, and a new registration was not allowed. I guess the battery must be disconnected before the gateway unit will accept a new battery registration. I did not bother to try that, I had fastened the seat and packed everything away.

Maybe iCarsoft have problems supporting this functionality in their tool, and maybe it ignores or misinterpret the error message when trying repeated entering of data.
Cheers,
Tore
ToreB is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 07:20 AM
  #5  
hotrod2448
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Originally Posted by ToreB View Post
I coded my new original Porsche battery with my PIWIS 2. The registration is done on one page/menu in the tool, but the info on this page will still show the default configuration after registration. However, I later found out that the registered information must be read out on a different screen/menu item in the tool.
Since I thought my entered data was not registered properly, I tried to register a second time, but this was rejected. The car Gateway unit will not accept repeated registrations. I got an error message stating that the battery change procedure was not done correctly, and a new registration was not allowed. I guess the battery must be disconnected before the gateway unit will accept a new battery registration. I did not bother to try that, I had fastened the seat and packed everything away.

Maybe iCarsoft have problems supporting this functionality in their tool, and maybe it ignores or misinterpret the error message when trying repeated entering of data.
Cheers,
Tore
Interesting. This makes sense because I had a secondary power supply hooked up under the hood to avoid having to reteach the windows. So if the above is true, as far as my car is concerned there is no new battery to register because it never saw an interruption in supply voltage.

I did not get around to creating the file for icarsoft yesterday. I'll try disconnecting the battery and registering this weekend to see if it corrects the registration issue. Does anyone have a link to the process for how and what needs to be retaught after battery replacement?
hotrod2448 is online now  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:28 AM
  #6  
ToreB
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ToreB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 1,621
Default

According to the Service Manual, the following is needed after a battery disconnect:

DME
With the DME, it is necessary to carry out a learning and adaptation routine as described below:
Switch ignition on for 30 seconds without starting the engine. Do not actuate accelerator pedal.
This completes the adaptation of the throttle valve adjusting unit.

Tyre pressure monitoring system
When the battery is disconnected and connected, the tire pressure is first displayed as "- - - ".
Once the battery has been disconnected and work is complete, the vehicle must be driven for a
short distance. The actual pressures will then be displayed again.

Steering angle sensor
The steering angle sensor must be re-initialised when the battery is disconnected and connected.
Turn wheels to straight-ahead position. Switch ignition off and then on again twice .
Start engine.
From the straight-ahead position, turn steering wheel approx. 20░ to the right, past the
straight-ahead position .
Drive the vehicle straight ahead for at least one second at a speed above 4 km/h (2.5 mph) .
The steering angle sensor segment is recognized again in this process.
Once the sensor has been successfully initialized, the fault code that is stored in the fault memory is
documented using the fault deletion counter.
The fault memory erases itself automatically.
The PSM indicator light in the instrument cluster goes out.

Motor for sunroof
The limit positions of the sunroof are deleted from the control unit when the battery is disconnected and connected. Switch on ignition.
Press the sunroof button for several seconds in direction of travel .
After approx. 10 seconds, the sunroof performs an automatic standardization process and resets
all positions. Keep the button pressed during the standardization process .
Afterwards, the sunroof is standardized correctly.

Power Windows
The limit positions of the power windows are deleted from the control unit when the battery is
disconnected and connected. Perform the following procedure for all power windows:
Pull rocker switch and fully close window once .
Pull rocker switch once more.
The upper end position of the window is stored.
Press rocker switch and fully open window once.
Press rocker switch once more.
The lower end position of the window is stored.

Electrical steering column adjustment (ELVS)
The electrical steering column adjustment end positions (ELVS) are deleted when the battery is
disconnected and connected. The following buttons must be pressed in sequence in order to reinitializes electrical steering column adjustment.
Press the extend button three times (extend towards the driver) .
Press the retract button once .
Press the extend button once (towards the driver) .
Press the up button once .
Press the down button once .
Once the buttons have been pressed correctly, the steering column automatically moves all axles and
stops at the center position (only works when the vehicle is stationary).

Carry out a test drive after connecting the battery.

T
ToreB is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:34 AM
  #7  
hotrod2448
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Awesome! Thanks!
hotrod2448 is online now  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:49 PM
  #8  
kennyt
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 151
Default

Seems like a lot for a battery change. I doubt the dealership is actually following all of those steps. Likely they just hook a power source to the vehicle while removing the old battery and don't register the new battery when done unless you're lucky and get a by-the-book mechanic.
kennyt is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 03:59 PM
  #9  
jtsmith18
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 97
Default

Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Interesting. This makes sense because I had a secondary power supply hooked up under the hood to avoid having to reteach the windows. So if the above is true, as far as my car is concerned there is no new battery to register because it never saw an interruption in supply voltage.

I did not get around to creating the file for icarsoft yesterday. I'll try disconnecting the battery and registering this weekend to see if it corrects the registration issue. Does anyone have a link to the process for how and what needs to be retaught after battery replacement?
What did you use as a power supply? A battery maintainer?
jtsmith18 is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 04:38 PM
  #10  
deilenberger
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spring Lake, NJ, US of A
Posts: 6,119
Default

My experience using ICarScan X431 is much like the experience described here for iCarSoft, Same sort of error messages. The battery type requires a certain format, as does the SN (I believe it needs ## characters - no particular pattern to them, just enough..) and it returns an error message of "Can't write to module.." It might be that I didn't power down the vehicle (used a small 12V supply on the jump points under the hood).

After that happening - about 3 years ago - I called 3 local Porsche dealers and asked how much it would be to "register" my new battery. The uniform response from the service advisers was "Huh??" - they'd never heard of it. In the case of my local dealer who I'm known at and fairly friendly with - I got to talk to the shop foreman about it. He said, "we just put the new battery in and off they go.." - so that tells me they never heard of it. That was 3 years ago - so perhaps things have changed - but at that time 3 out of 3 dealers (100% of dealers polled) knew nothing about registering a new battery.

BTW - went to several independent shops who had high-end diagnostics equipment. One had SnapOn's tool - it had the same data entry and the same error message. No shop I tried could register the battery at that time.

And as an aside I suspect iCarSoft and iCarScan use the same core software from Launch Diagnostics - just a different interface to it.
deilenberger is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM
  #11  
hotrod2448
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Originally Posted by jtsmith18 View Post
What did you use as a power supply? A battery maintainer?
A lawn mower battery I had sitting around.
hotrod2448 is online now  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 PM
  #12  
hotrod2448
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
My experience using ICarScan X431 is much like the experience described here for iCarSoft, Same sort of error messages. The battery type requires a certain format, as does the SN (I believe it needs ## characters - no particular pattern to them, just enough..) and it returns an error message of "Can't write to module.." It might be that I didn't power down the vehicle (used a small 12V supply on the jump points under the hood).

After that happening - about 3 years ago - I called 3 local Porsche dealers and asked how much it would be to "register" my new battery. The uniform response from the service advisers was "Huh??" - they'd never heard of it. In the case of my local dealer who I'm known at and fairly friendly with - I got to talk to the shop foreman about it. He said, "we just put the new battery in and off they go.." - so that tells me they never heard of it. That was 3 years ago - so perhaps things have changed - but at that time 3 out of 3 dealers (100% of dealers polled) knew nothing about registering a new battery.

BTW - went to several independent shops who had high-end diagnostics equipment. One had SnapOn's tool - it had the same data entry and the same error message. No shop I tried could register the battery at that time.

And as an aside I suspect iCarSoft and iCarScan use the same core software from Launch Diagnostics - just a different interface to it.
This is saying it is not getting the proper response from the vehicle which, makes me hopeful it is as ToreB says and the vehicle is not in a ready state due to not seeing a loss in power. I'll give it a shot this weekend and see what happens, worst case scenario I waste an hour or so to end up right back where I am now.
hotrod2448 is online now  
Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 PM
  #13  
RAudi Driver
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RAudi Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 2,140
Default

I just ordered one for my car also. Hope it can give some suspension values. My Durametric Pro may be up for sale if that's the case as I think the only thing a Durametric can do that iCarsoft can't is a DME.
RAudi Driver is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 10:03 PM
  #14  
hotrod2448
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver View Post
I just ordered one for my car also. Hope it can give some suspension values. My Durametric Pro may be up for sale if that's the case as I think the only thing a Durametric can do that iCarsoft can't is a DME.
I know it can see the air suspension module on mine but I have not tried to see what it can display as a data stream from that module.
hotrod2448 is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 AM
  #15  
deilenberger
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Spring Lake, NJ, US of A
Posts: 6,119
Default

iCarScan can see the air suspension module and give readouts of things like the values of the height sensors. I haven't tried changing the calibration since I don't want to bork mine up.. but if anyone is adventurous and wants to visit me in NJ..
deilenberger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: