958 Cayenne GTS :-(( disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:15 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 280 Posts
Default 958 Cayenne GTS :-(( disappointed

I have some questions about wife's car...Last year I switched her from her 2010 Cayenne to a 2017 Cayenne. Both cars were the "GTS" and she had spec'd both to her likings and bought them new.

Right off the bat she complained about low power, slow, doesn't start fast, poor throttle, …, and that she missed her old car. In my arrogant way I told her about "turbochargers" and asked her to press "sport" button which she always does now. She does like the electronics, backup camera, B&O, and performance at speed.

Finally after 20 months, I drove her car today for about 150miles and then installed winter snow tires... And I am very disappointed at the throttle response and the turbo lag. Actually, I am really shocked, and will take the car back to the dealer. For reference, I have been a 911 Turbo owner since 1993 and currently 5 911 Turbo/GT cars, so I know Porsche turbocharged cars well.

Questions:
  1. Anyone here has reprogrammed throttle angles or are there TSBs or such? (This car is kept in CO and I need to make sure that the car passed emissions).
  2. When you press "Sport" button, PASM raises car to mid-height. She prefers driving in the "low ride" height. I had installed a Cargraphics lowering module on the 957, but I cannot find one for the 958. Any advice to lower the car? Or a way to program the car to stay at low ride height when "sport" is pressed.
She likes the car enough that doesn't want me to get rid of it... So I could use some input on ride height and better performance.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

I believe there are complaints about the new turbo V6s and a ECU reflash by the dealer cures it. Its happening to Macans too.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Known problem with the V6 - do a bit of searching. Basically the knock sensors are too sensitive and retard the ignition well before knocking/pinging is actually occurring. There is an ECU flash to fix this. Your dealer should know about this.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:55 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^Thanks...I have seen poor throttle performance complaints on the Diesel but didn’t know about the V6 GTS.

Anything on the ride height reprogramming in Sport mode? Why is the “sport” default setting UP at mid-height?

Last edited by Igooz; 12-22-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:20 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 314 Posts

It took you 20 months to drive it for the first time?
Old 12-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
It took you 20 months to drive it for the first time?
yes, other than a few miles to buy fuel.

Last edited by Igooz; 12-22-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:03 PM
timmysurf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of what you're describing may be in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-power-11.html

Have the software updated. Here is the bulletin the dealer can reference for the software update, i'm not sure of the software version but i also showed them this: DME update as per TI 2470 / DME update ATI 1704
Old 12-22-2018, 11:40 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Not sure if this holds suspension too

https://t-design9.com/memory_module.html
Old 12-24-2018, 05:31 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgavem
Not sure if this holds suspension too

https://t-design9.com/memory_module.html
tgavem, I appreciate the information. I asked someone and this unit and it does not hold suspension at the lower height.
(And I hope that you are enjoying your T, great cars). I contacted Cargraphic again and ordered the lowering module. I had the similar module on her 2010GTS, and basically at "mid-height" you are running 10-15mm lower.
https://www.cargraphicts.com/en/brands/for-porsche/cayenne/958/diesel-v6/suspensions/electronic-lowering-modules/

Lessons learned here: I will start paying attention to her car. I trailer my own pcars to "my" tech about 100miles away instead of letting the local guys touch them... I will get the TSB on the (dead) pedal, add the Cargraphic module.

Merry Christmas...
Old 01-06-2019, 12:02 AM
fstr n u
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

After we purchased our 2014 Porsche Cayenne V8T my folks purchased a 2017 Porsche Cayenne GTS and they are nothing but disappointed. They grew up in the V8 era of muscle cars and are regretting not having purchased a Jeep SRT or Trackhawk. I only see them once every 2-4 weeks...but each time i do....blah blah blah bickering about their 6 cylinder Cayenne that just sucks. I've driven it and i think it's a great SUV...i wouldn't sell my V8T Cayenne for it....but it's Porsche build quality which means something. I'll let them know there may be a solution to the turbo lag issue as they are consistently using the sport button to "change gearing" and make the vehilce more enjoyable (....is how they see the button working).
Old 01-06-2019, 11:04 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 190 Posts

Just drove 1700 miles to escape the cold north. Once in warmer weather the turbo is running the best it has, 29k miles on vehicle. Recently had the Transfer case replaced which has resolved the last of the uneven power. Making sure the software is installed and the transfer case is working correctly is the first step. The turbo boost is working now how I think it should. There still is an issue when after driving in sub freezing weather for a few hours at highway speeds the turbo boost is erratic. Problem goes away as soon as the temps are in the 30s. 2nd time this has happened but very difficult to recreate. Doesn't occur in normal daily driving in cold weather. We did get 20mpg overall on the trip at speeds consistently 70 to 80 mph except in Florida where a large amount of time is just sitting in I-75 stopped traffic. While the 3.6 turbo isn't a Porsche fully developed engine it does the job. I still think it is the weak part of the GTS. Don't need more power just more refinement. More power is what the Turbo model is for. Hopefully they will have a more refined engine (4.0 turbo) in the next one.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

I am taking it in next week to my long time trusted Porsche technician that maintains my GT cars instead of the local guys that are very limited. (We live in a “small” town so I have to go 2 hours to my own guy.)

He will try and reflash the computer (DME?) and see if he can improve the driveability. Honestly, I really expected more of this V6/GTS setup, and my fault for not driven the car much being my wife’s and all...Don had told me to keep our ‘10 957 Cayenne GTS but I got rid of it for this thing.

I will also test drive the new Cayenne Turbo and decide...

Last weekend I had her Cayenne detailed, CQuartz refreshed, mirrors CF wrapped, roof blacked out, and pin striped. (I will post photos later..I can’t load photos now?!)

Old 01-19-2019, 04:19 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Wow, good to know as I was considering a newer GTS but have not driven one. I'm going to stick to a used CTTS to eventually replace my current CTT.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:11 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

On snow wheels/tires.

Getting the car detailed/wrapped a little bit makes my wife happy. She likes the stripes, I just said YES MA'AM...next Saturday it goes in for service.

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Wow, good to know as I was considering a newer GTS but have not driven one. I'm going to stick to a used CTTS to eventually replace my current CTT.
Hey 4ocious...how is that 7TT? I had mine for 7 years. I would recommend to stick with a V8 CTT/CTTS
Old 01-20-2019, 10:48 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
  1. When you press "Sport" button, PASM raises car to mid-height. She prefers driving in the "low ride" height. I had installed a Cargraphics lowering module on the 957, but I cannot find one for the 958. Any advice to lower the car? Or a way to program the car to stay at low ride height when "sport" is pressed.
Others have addressed the engine issues but I would suggest asking the dealer to look at the PASM as well

Although I have a 958.1 GTS, selecting PASM lowers the car to the 2nd lowest setting (2nd only to "loading/unloading cargo") since you mentioned that the ride height rises when "Sport" is selected.. that's doesn't seem right

Quick Reply: 958 Cayenne GTS :-(( disappointed