Sponsored By:

Cayenne Diesel Timing Chain Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 04:55 PM
pepperpepper
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cayenne Diesel Timing Chain Noise

I have about 68K on my CD and I've noticed when I start it after it's sat for some time (the car needs to be up to temp and then shut off for 30-60 minutes or so) I experience a really horrible timing chain rattle for about a second after the engine fires.

Now, this rarely (if ever) happens when the vehicle has sat overnight, but if I say, drive to work and head out on errands after an hour or two... I fire it up and get a terrible clatter.

I talked to my dealership's SA about this and he SWEARS that all Porsches do this because the valvetrain is chain driven. I have owned many other cars with timing chains that have oil pressurized chain tensioners that did NOT make this noise when they started, they have check valves or some other manner of keeping the tensioner from letting the chain go limp while the engine is off.

The dealership refuses to look into my concern about this because "if something were wrong the car would have a check engine light". I happen to disagree but I have come to learn that at the Porsche service desk the customer is always wrong. So CD owners of Rennlist, tell me, is this normal? Am I being paranoid that my engine may grenade soon because the timing chain flaps in the proverbial wind every other time I start the car??? Is my service advisor correct in saying this isn't a problem?
The following users liked this post:
Rupert16 (12-22-2022)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Mine does it on occasion. One of the bike I own (Aprilia Falco with a Rotax engine) does it on occasion too. I too don't like it, but have come to accept it as "normal". The bike has been raced for years and still performs as it did New, so I don't worry about it....

Casey
Old 12-13-2018, 09:05 PM
pepperpepper
Rennlist Member

Hmmmmm.... Interesting. Thanks for responding. Hopefully I can get a few more responses, I know there are more CD owners on here than the two of us...
Rupert16 (06-11-2022)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:24 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My E28 M5 started to do it after it had about 100,000 miles. Now it has 200,000.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:21 PM
pepperpepper
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sclemmons
My E28 M5 started to do it after it had about 100,000 miles. Now it has 200,000.
Interesting data point... Not particularly useful, but anything pertaining to an E28 M5 is interesting. I take it, since you haven't mentioned it, that your CD doesn't have the same rattle that mine does...
Old 12-14-2018, 04:41 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My CD has only 21k miles and still sounds new. I don’t know what is normal or not, but there was nothing we could do to fix the M5 without spending a lot of money. It only makes the sound upon startup. We ignored it and it never got worse.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:29 PM
pepperpepper
Rennlist Member

That's when my CD does this too, for about a half second or so when it fires off. Then the oil pressure comes up and it goes away and sounds perfectly normal.
Kayze (12-28-2022)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:10 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by pepperpepper
That's when my CD does this too, for about a half second or so when it fires off. Then the oil pressure comes up and it goes away and sounds perfectly normal.
Just curious - what oil are you using? This was a common thing on some BMW motorcycles with the boxer motors - and two things would fix it. (1) a new timing chain tensioner from a later model, revised design (2) different oil. I've ended up using Castrol Edge 10W-60 oil in the boxers - the engines are very nice and quiet with this oil (and I've run them well past 100,000 miles with absolutely no engine problems using this oil..) The 10W-60 was originally spec'd by BMW for the high-performance model of these engines (the "HP" models) and for the E46 M3 engine - which had bearing issues. At the time it was called TWS (Ten-W-Sixty). It's also made in Europe, and I think it's the only "Edge" oil that is. Advanced-Auto carries it behind the counter - you have to ask for it - the clerk will deny it exists - but insist he go in the back and look. It's always been there (reminds me of buying Penthouse when I was a kid..)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:35 PM
pepperpepper
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just curious - what oil are you using? This was a common thing on some BMW motorcycles with the boxer motors - and two things would fix it. (1) a new timing chain tensioner from a later model, revised design (2) different oil. I've ended up using Castrol Edge 10W-60 oil in the boxers - the engines are very nice and quiet with this oil (and I've run them well past 100,000 miles with absolutely no engine problems using this oil..) The 10W-60 was originally spec'd by BMW for the high-performance model of these engines (the "HP" models) and for the E46 M3 engine - which had bearing issues. At the time it was called TWS (Ten-W-Sixty). It's also made in Europe, and I think it's the only "Edge" oil that is. Advanced-Auto carries it behind the counter - you have to ask for it - the clerk will deny it exists - but insist he go in the back and look. It's always been there (reminds me of buying Penthouse when I was a kid..)
You know, I thought it may have something to do with that. The current fill is likely Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 (507.00 spec) from the dealership. Next time around I'll be trying the Pentosin Super Performance III but now I'm thinking I may try out the Castrol EDGE Professional LL03. I almost wonder if the check valve is stuck or something... Either way, I'm hoping I can convince the dealership to at least pretend to be interested in it, they say it's "characteristic of all Porsches", which I don't happen to believe.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:18 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by pepperpepper
You know, I thought it may have something to do with that. The current fill is likely Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 (507.00 spec) from the dealership.
One can only hope that the junior tech doing the oil change realizes that the diesel takes a different oil than the gasoline engines... you might check the receipt.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:08 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I have the same issue. Noise comes every now and then. Its random for the most part. Sometimes it happens when I don't drive the car for a few weeks. Other times, it is after shutting off after a few hours. Last time it happened was a few days ago. I have been away for a few weeks. No noise during first start in the morning. Drove 10 miles to the office. Got into the car during lunch and chain rattle happened..
Old 12-15-2018, 08:25 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

As a data point, I'm using M1 ESP as well. And according to Blackstone report, its wear characteristics are great....
Old 12-15-2018, 04:31 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

When I first bought Mobil 1 at a parts store they explained that ESP meant Extra Special Price in their favor.
At 80,000 plus we have not experienced timing chain noise on our 2013 CD.
Ours has not been neutered by the 'fix' either.

Last edited by RS-America; 12-22-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

I've heard it too, occasionally.

@cwheeler Oddly enough, never heard it in either of my Aprilia v-twin's. But I can hardly hear anything over the bark of the exhaust! ('00 Mille - Tigcraft, '04 Tuono - Arrow)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:28 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
I've heard it too, occasionally.

@cwheeler Oddly enough, never heard it in either of my Aprilia v-twin's. But I can hardly hear anything over the bark of the exhaust! ('00 Mille - Tigcraft, '04 Tuono - Arrow)
Always wanted a Tig system. Beautiful setup.
Btw, my ape is for sale is you need another or know someone that does. Discount to EGT members

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel Timing Chain Noise