Sponsored By:

removing center console cup holder help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 AM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 67 Posts
Default removing center console cup holder help

anyone have any instructions or videos on removing? Not sure how this happened, but one of spring loaded cup holder arms got pushed all the way into the console. I can’t retrieve it from out side so would like to remove and reassemble. Thanks
Old 05-23-2018, 09:23 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Here are direction w/o pictures. More involved than one might think due to the side panels needing to be partially removed.

To reduce the unclipping forces and thereby the risk of damage during removal, the removal steps must be carried out at the accessible connection points using a suitable tool.

Remove rubber mat from cup holder. Lever out using a suitable tool if necessary.

Unscrew screws on cup holder.

Unclip side trim panels on the center console from the rear to the cup holder using a suitable tool.
Pull cup holder out of the center console .

Release plug connection for the cigarette lighter and pull it off -arrow.
Remove cup holder.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Thanks
Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 AM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Any more guidance on cigarette lighter release? I’ve gotten cup holder part way out but not sure how to release cig lighter. Thanks 😀
Old 05-23-2018, 11:48 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Other than pressing various retaining clips and pulling (or pushing) the various bits it's pretty straightforward according to ALLDATAdiy.

The wired part pulls out after pressing on the retaining clip. The socket part apparently pushes through the top for removal as does the final cover once the clips are pressed in.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:30 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Radctt1. Were you able to remove the center cup holder using the instructions provided? I went through the effort last weekend trying to run a charging cable from the center console up near the air conditioning controls where my new ProClip phone holder is located and came across the same problem. After a half hour of fiddling with the darned thing, I finally decided to use some stiff wire and fish my cable through the route I was looking to take. Never did get it off. The trick is obviously releasing the two side trim pieces but I was afraid I'd scratch it or break a retaining tab so I erred on the side of caution. Been there done that on a previous vehicle. Nobody could tell the tab was broken except me but it still bothered me... if anyone can expand on how the trim around the cup holder comes apart or even how the center controls around the shifter are removed, I'd appreciate it. Haven't come across a thread related to it yet. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:00 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

I got the cup holder released from center console but couldn’t release the cigarette lighter. It was difficult to navigate with the arm extensions from the cup holder. Didn’t want to pull any harder on wires so I stopped. My only issue is a broken spring loaded arm in the cup holder well that started this process for me. Not sure if I’ll have to replace entire cup holder as I couldn’t reach the separated parts within the dash. Minor issue but bothers me.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

How did you release the cup holder? By removing the trim around the center console or by using brut force? If you removed the trim, did it simply unclip and pull away where the two halves meet near the center of the cup holder? I know I'm going to have to get in there sooner than later.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:30 AM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

I used gentle force and slowly pulled up. I slightly angle and tried to rotate entire cup holder as pulling up. It seemed to want to get hung on the spring loaded arm parts of holder itself. I didn’t try but I wondered afterwards if I should have tried a rubber band around outside to hold arms in and not catching on center console?? It was very challenging to get back in the same way. I imagined driving around with it half out and my wife looking at me in that “see what I told” you face so I proceeded to put back in! I wasn’t able to determine if I can salvage cup holder by retrieving parts or just order new one as I couldn’t separate from lighter.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:33 AM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Failed to mention, I only unscrewed 2 screws at bottom of cup holder and then began pulling. I didn’t mess with any of console black plastic housing surrounding holder.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:58 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Seriously, the accessory socket is pretty damned difficult to remove. I never succeeded in getting mine loose when I was investigating how a stop/start module could be installed. Turned out I didn't need to mess with the cupholders at all. I had to really carefully push hard on the console plastic surrounding the cupholder to get the socket to clear it. Which might have only been possible with the button panel and trim forward of it already out of the way.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:58 AM
RyanG610
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know how to remove and replace just the "silver" trim piece around the cupholders? Mine is knicked up pretty deeply. Looks like something was dropped on it. It bothers me because the rest of the interior is pristine. Thanks guys!!!!
Old 03-23-2021, 01:53 PM
liun
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radctt1
anyone have any instructions or videos on removing? Not sure how this happened, but one of spring loaded cup holder arms got pushed all the way into the console. I can’t retrieve it from out side so would like to remove and reassemble. Thanks
Did you eventually pull out the cup holder and fixed the spring loaded retainer? I had the same problem, and I am thinking to remove the cup holder and fix it. Thank you
Old 03-23-2021, 04:32 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanG610
Anyone know how to remove and replace just the "silver" trim piece around the cupholders? Mine is knicked up pretty deeply. Looks like something was dropped on it. It bothers me because the rest of the interior is pristine. Thanks guys!!!!
Which part, the pop-up part around the shifter column itself, or the flat field of metal that goes around it (and the 'ash tray' lid)?

The shifter cover plate just pops up, with a firm tug. #13 on the diagram

The trim part is a separate part. #9 on this diagram:

https://www.porscheatlantaperimeterp...rimLevel=33988

Quick Reply: removing center console cup holder help