Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brand of choice for fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 12:06 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

We all love these threads, like oil threads, fuel additive threads, these are about the only things we can alter, easily, by pouring in, then seeing if it makes any difference.

Sure, the CReports pic of the back of the exhaust valve does show it is a lot wet with black stuff on it than the top-tier one, but I wonder if one fed one vehicle with one fuel, then another with the other fuel, drove them for 50,000, then 100,000, then whatever the F one wants to, one would probably find that they could not tell one gnats behind of a difference between which motor vehicle, be it a motorcycle, dirtbike, snowmobile, car, truck, tracktor, lawnmower, whatever, one would probably NOT be able to tell the difference.

Who knows? Just our pocketbooks with the extra money we've been blowing on Top Tier.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:02 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Ben - on simpler engines - like 2 cylinder motorcycle engines made in Berlin by a Bavarian company.. the engine feels much different between ethanol laced fuel and "pure" (no-ethanol) fuel. I can't say that brand differences are as dramatic - but once in a while when touring the lesser populated parts of the US - I've been forced to put in other than Top-Tier gasoline on the bike..

Then I could feel a slight difference - I suspect due to octane. Pony Express had no ethanol.

Other than that - I usually use Amoco since (1) they're handy to me (2) every fillup gives you $0.02/gallon credit toward another fillup, so I frequently fill the bike's tank, and wait until I have $0.20/gallon in "points" - and fill up the P!G..
Old 05-11-2018, 11:36 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
Who knows? Just our pocketbooks with the extra money we've been blowing on Top Tier.
Not sure in your area, but around here Top Tier brands are the same price as everything else, so Top Tier it is for my vehicles (Shell mostly).
Old 05-11-2018, 12:06 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Shell or Costco
Old 05-11-2018, 12:42 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Funny thing is that I tend to use Safeway fuel where I am - I shop at Safeway so I get a good price. I understand that Safeway fuel is Chevron (fuel points can be redeemed there too) and I find that its pretty good. Actually filled up at a non-premium place the other day and I swear I could feel the difference. Probably me being paranoid, but it does seem to be a little more hesitant and not so smooth - is it any real difference? Not sure, but so much so I will actually go get some Seafoam and pop it in to clean things up.

However, and I have to put a caveat in here - my car did suffer from a number of check engine light issues. Dirty MAF and intake and a couple of other things that suggested that it hadnt been using good quality fuel in the past, which is a known issue with direct injection engines. Check engine light issues all cured now, but I suspect I am still on the cusp of issues, so sticking to higher quality fuels does seem to make a difference.

Alternatively though, my wife has a 2016 Malibu 2.0 Turbo that says it requires 91 or higher. No noticeable difference or change if using crap stuff or premium stuff - all consistent on responsiveness, economy and so on. And we also have a 200k mile Mini Cooper S which demands higher octane fuel too, and no noticeable difference there, but hey, that thing rattles down the road so who knows if you can tell if it has anything in it!
Old 05-12-2018, 04:13 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Shell diesel. Around here it’s all branded shell
i avoid chevron diesel around here as its bio mixed and has i think 20% bio diesel which may have a lower cetane rating.

Unleaded is shell or chevron.

Womt go near costco. Every time i drive by there are at least 10 cars deep in line. To save a few c? Per gallon?

Quick Reply: Brand of choice for fuel