Sponsored By:

Buying Help on a Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:55 PM
anew_dawn
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Help on a Diesel

Hello! I thought I had narrowed down my extensive research to a 2013 Cayenne Diesel, 3.0L V6 Turbocharged. Looking around for a mechanic to do a prepurch inspection, they're all saying "don't do it!". Don't buy a German car, period. Can you give me some "real" answers/advise? I'd like the status symbol for my Real Estate business, while having room for clients. What is the avg cost/year for maintenance and repairs? The car I'm looking at has 70k miles, new tires, new brakes and looks to have been maintained every 5k miles. Any consistent, significant repair issues? Or typically if I follow the service plan, she'll run?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:15 PM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Not sure why there are saying don't do it. The car has a warranty out to 120,000 miles on the entire emissions system. These cars are generally very reliable and can easily go 200,000 miles. The build quality is second to none. Obviously can be expensive to fix but a good independent shop can save you lots of cash.

Some of the 2013's did have an issue with engine block casting. I believe it is either the timing chain cover on the rear of the motor or the main crankshaft seal had a tendency to leak oil. I would pay porsche to inspect the car and look at this issue very close.

Other than that they are fantastic!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:50 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,989 Likes on 946 Posts

If the extent of the experts in your circle is as far reaching as "dont buy a german car, period" then you probably should not.

Every time there is an issue, you will be kicking yourself for not listening to said experts.. the word reliable has a different meaning in German car world..
Old 03-16-2018, 04:49 PM
anew_dawn
3rd Gear

Right- that certainly makes sense about the foreign car experts here in Central VA. I am purchasing the vehicle out-of-state and most likely will be taking it to the Porsche dealer for servicing and repairs. It seems they all zeroed in on the cost of maintenance, which I know will be higher. My concern is not there, it's in the potential frequency of needing to consistently drop $1-$2k over the life of vehicle on repairs. By consistent, I would say every couple of years. I just can't seem to find any documentation on what the yearly cost of maintaining the diesel is projected to be- even ballpark for my region is helpful- such as, at 100k miles, this work is done and the average cost is ____.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 PM
anew_dawn
3rd Gear

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I guess my main concern is the frequency of a "major repair" and the associated cost. Just so I have some idea of what people seem to be panicking about- for example, if the main crankshaft seal needed repair.. what cost would I be looking at? Just a ballpark would be extremely helpful.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:01 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I believe the leak is from improper sealing of the timing chain cover. Make sure the car you want to buy has no oil leaks at the rear of the engine. I paid about $2400 for the Porsche maintenance plan that covered 6 oil changes, fuel filter change, brake flush. The car wants an oil change every 5K miles. DIY for about $110. Good luck
Old 03-16-2018, 09:33 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The Cayenne Diesel is covered by a major recall. You should be aware of the recall and what it means to you before buying. Don't just pick one up second hand with 70k miles without being aware of your rights and remedies.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ion-issue.html

I bought one with full knowledge of the issue and it has been an awesome daily driver. Many of us have and are happy. But don't buy anything without educating yourself. Least of all a high mileage, used Porsche. Especially a Cayenne Diesel.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:52 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

We have ~79,000 miles on our Cayenne diesel with nothing major. Most of our miles are off-road driving in the Chihuahuan desert, all over the Pacific Northwest, to north of the Arctic Circle in the winter. Temps got down to -36F sitting overnight and it started right up the next morning.

On the diesel issues we have received the check from Bosch and the first check from Porsche. The second check comes after they incorporate the 'fix'. For 2013s and 2014s the 'fix' includes both hardware and software changes. For 2015s and 2016 only software changes are involved. Everyone has the option to get the 'fix' or to not get the 'fix'. We are choosing to not get the Porsche 'fix'. Whether you get the 'fix' or not, everyone gets the extended warranty from Porsche.

Check out the below link for some of what we have done. The info is not current or complete as we are having too much fun. This winter we ran two road rally's, one in Cache Creek BC and the last one 800km around Merritt, BC. These were both on snow and ice covered gravel roads with plenty of hair pin turns with significant exposures.

Last edited by RS-America; 03-16-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2018, 05:21 PM
neilontrack
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to buy a CD and need some clarification. I can't find this specifically in the forums. Is the additional 2 year warranty transferable with the vehicle? In other words, if buying from a private first owner a 2013 or 2014 diesel which has an expired original 4 year warranty, do I get the benefit of the additional 2 years which Porsche has granted these vehicles?

What about as a Porsche Approved CPO? I presume the 2 year CPO warranty starts when I purchase the car? This all seems to benefit the CD, if I can just be confident about the warranty.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:01 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by neilontrack
I'm looking to buy a CD and need some clarification. I can't find this specifically in the forums. Is the additional 2 year warranty transferable with the vehicle? In other words, if buying from a private first owner a 2013 or 2014 diesel which has an expired original 4 year warranty, do I get the benefit of the additional 2 years which Porsche has granted these vehicles?

What about as a Porsche Approved CPO? I presume the 2 year CPO warranty starts when I purchase the car? This all seems to benefit the CD, if I can just be confident about the warranty.
Yes and no.

The courtesy 2 year extension of the original warranty stays with the car.

If it has a CPO but you buy it from a non-Porsche dealer, the CPO ends. Not sure about private party transfer. Others will chime in, no doubt.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:29 PM
porscheconvert
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told by dealer that all diesels are CPO even if not bought from dealer. Easy way to verify is take your vin and call Porsche.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:29 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

They are more expensive to maintain. If you do the dealer maintenance by the book, and only at the dealer, it can get pricey. 40k service can be upwards of $2k. Oil changes are 275-400 depending on the dealer. My dealer is 300 out the door for oil changes but that's with a PCA member discount. I could do it myself for 1/3 the cost BUT I learned a hard lesson many years ago (with a Chevy, no less) that anything less than impeccable dealer service records CAN bite you in the butt if you have a big warranty claim. Not saying Porsche is this way - I'm just traumatized from personal past experience. YMMV.

IMO these are no different than any other German car. Maintain it from the beginning, don't let problems linger, and they will run damned near forever. My 2014 Cayenne Diesel, I traded it in with ~70k on the clock. Only warranty repair it needed in that time was a faulty fuel level sensor. My first NEW car was a 2000 VW Jetta GL. Generally VW's are known to be crap for reliability. I stayed on top of maintenance, sold it to my dad, who stayed on top of maintenance... and now my sister has it. Currently over 400k on it. Still drives tight! My next VW, a 2003 GTI... over 200k on it, sold it to my dad, same deal. Runs like a champ.

Stay on the regular maintenance schedule. If a CEL pops up, FIX IT. Don't run around with a CEL on - failures seem to induce other failures in short order.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:44 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheconvert
I was told by dealer that all diesels are CPO even if not bought from dealer. Easy way to verify is take your vin and call Porsche.
All have the 2 year courtesy "CPO like" extended factory warranty applied as a goodwill gesture following the break of the scandal.

Some are now reporting getting a CPO tacked onto the end of that 6 year "original" warranty for a total of 8 years.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:30 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

You don't have to use the dealer for audience. There are Porsche certified mechanics that have opened independent shops. Oil change at mine is $150

Quick Reply: Buying Help on a Diesel