Sponsored By:

help. Recommendations. Bad day!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:45 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts
Default help. Recommendations. Bad day!

Bad Day. Not sure if pic will upload. My 2016 turbo S was parked at dealership for transfer case replacement and 53 foot delivery truck (Penske) backed into my car. Have had less than a week and just had paint correction with film and modesta coating. Getting estimate on repairs. My question; How can I get those involved (Penske and/or dealership) to realize damages and depreciation?? Police report already filed. Penske driver already admitted to accident. If most of you are like me, you wouldn’t even consider buying car with accident report. I’m going to push for vehicle replacement but would welcome any suggestions. No one was injured. Thanks for any comments/recommendations

Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

I doubt very much that they'll entertain vehicle replacement. It's too bad that the police were involved- that does mean there will be a report on Autocheck and CarFax.. The best you'll get is (1) it repaired to new factory spec's - does Penske own the dealership? That would eliminate any dickering for at-fault between the dealership and the trucker (2) diminished value - that you'll need some help with. I used to have a friend who was instrumental in establishing "diminished value" as a "thing".. but he sadly passed away last year. His company is still around and his partner would be able to help: https://www.carvalueexperts.com/ - they specialized in establishing vehicle values: https://www.carvalueexperts.com/diminished-value They'll advise you if using their services would be worthwhile or not (if their service cost exceeds the value received.)

Good luck with it - I'm moving this over to the 958 section since your '16 is a 958..
Old 03-02-2018, 04:40 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Everything starts when you contact your insurance company. Even though they won't (likely) be paying anything (unless you are in a no-fault state which may or may not change things), they will deal with the insurance company covering the truck to recover damages and the damages would include all the body work and parts needed plus anything you have done to the exterior finish, especially if done recently and you have receipts.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:26 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

As has been mentioned, almost zero chance of getting vehicle replacement. That damage doesn’t even begin to approach the replacement threshold. You can pretty much put that out of your mind.

Your repairs will (should) be covered by the ‘at fault’ party, be it Penske trucking or the dealer. Insist that it be repaired at a Porsche approved facility. You can find them online or your P dealer can direct you. My chapter of PCA just hosted a tour at the Porsche approved body shop in our area. Very impressive.

Next is seeking compensation for diminished value as was also mentioned. Most certainly there will now be a record of the accident through Carfax and other online sources and like you said, enthusiasts like all of us generally see that when vehicle shopping and it’s a non starter. I had a colleague go through this. I don’t recall the process in detail but it involved a special appraiser who’s business is assessing diminished value. Then it also involved attorneys and the insurance companies. Your insurance company should be able to give you some info on this process to get you started.

Best of luck. That really sucks.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:03 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

As was said many times earlier ... I feel your pain on this and it really sucks. Also mentioned earlier was to make sure your car is repaired by a Factory Certified Auto Body Repair shop -- and by the way the dealer's auto body shops may or may NOT be factory certified!

I agree that the accident is going to cause a problem for any future buyer but after having attended the seminar mentioned by CARGUYNVA (at least I assume it was the same one) I could see myself accepting a car that had been repaired by a Factory Certified company using mfg parts and following the mfg recommended procedures.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2018, 09:06 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I have read more than enough threads over the years on every motor vehicle board I've been a part of and "diminished value" is a looooongshot as the argument always is, "How does one know that the value has been diminished until the vehicle has been sold?" I have seen very few where anyone gets anything more than $1,000 to $2,000 no matter the msrp of the vehicle.

My takeaway from all the discussions has always been that the insurance company owes no one anything more than to be made whole and for the vehicle to be fixed so it was like it was before and it is pretty much tough-luck for us who have their vehicles damaged.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,510 Likes on 4,145 Posts

Man, that stinks as it looks like a beauty. From a resale perspective, take detailed photos of the damage and the repair process - that will help show a future buyer that nothing structural was damaged by the parking lot incident. I used to feel the same way about completely avoiding any vehicle that had any type of accident in it's history, but after having 2 Porsches completely repainted (color change) and aftermarket bumpers and widebody kits installed on them and seeing what a good body shop can do with paint matching and fit and finish, I really don't worry about it any more.

To be able to get a vehicle totalled or replaced, the damage is going to need to exceed 75% of the value - no way you're close to that on a Turbo S with some quarter panel, taillight, and possibly rear hatch damage, especially if it was off and parked when it happens as that means no airbag deployment or seat belt replacement (pyro pretensioners), which is where the big #s come from in accident repair.

Diminished value compensation probably isn't worth your time for the fight you'll have to go through and what you'll net from it. Just make sure it's repaired by a really good shop with the proper separate tools for use on aluminum bodies - it will look perfect again.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:25 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,989 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by radctt1
If most of you are like me, you wouldn’t even consider buying car with accident report.

This is exactly the reason people/buyers need to educate themselves (including yourself).

The reason you are on the other end of this unfortunate stick is because of the urban legend that one should walk away from any/all incidents on auto-reports. You are seeing firsthand how a minor stationary accident can ruin a car's history.

I am sure one day there will be a better process to calculate and receive diminished value, but the way things are today, I doubt it.

What is the MY and mileage on your car?
Old 03-02-2018, 10:11 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

So far Penske has sent my Incident to their 3rd party administrator. The initial claims agent implied this was due to the type of car involved. I’ve had a preliminary estimate by Porsche certified collision center to Penske. Thanks to all the responses. I fully realize the vehicle replacement is unlikely but I’m attempting to convey to them that this is not some POS their driver ran into. Will update. My mileage just turned 30k.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! So negative! I would say this is a good day because now you have an opportunity to get a new car. And is any owner of two TTs really that poorly off?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:36 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Completed work at Porsche certified collision center. Very happy with work. Will update on DV.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:29 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

That more than sucks, and that is a bad day. My wife's 2014 Panamera S e-Hybrid was hit in a drug store parking lot. Some kid in mom's car backed out without looking and scraped up the passenger side of her car from front door to bumper cover. Their insurance company took care of the repair. We used tone of the two best body shops in town. After the repair I called his insurance company and told them I want diminished value. The dealer that sold me the car wrote a letter as to how the trade in value is affected by the Carfax report. They offered me $4,000. I countered, and they asked me to go to my local dealer to get them to appraise the value. They gave a range of value loss that was even greater than the first one. The adjuster came back and offered $5,000, but that was it, and if I wasn't happy, I was welcome to litigate. A friend of mine who is an attorney, told me that one option is to file suit against the owner of the car to force their insurance company to come to the party, but I just didn't want to do that. I took the $5,000. Get good valuation support.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:06 AM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by radctt1
Completed work at Porsche certified collision center. Very happy with work. Will update on DV.

Dude, those panel gaps look WAY off. I would not accept that level of shoddy work.

Nah, j/k! Looks great. They did a noice job, enjoy.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:39 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Update

thank you you for the positive responses. I actually work pretty darn hard to have the privilege of driving my cars and my intent was to be made whole. I was naive in believing what whole meant and probably allowed some emotions to play into that expectation initially. A 3rd party managed my repairs and I believe that may have played into my success with DV. In my experience, the 3rd party payed for entire repairs, rental vehicle for 6 weeks (repairs were delay awaiting parts from Germany), redoing paint correction, modesta recoating and refilm. After repairs were complete, then the evaluation for DV began. 3rd party insurance contacted appraiser and he calculated. Basically he followed 17c guidelines. This is entire separate topic- search diminished value and 17c. DV laws differ by state. The initial DV estimate was around $3k. I requested second opinion - one of my choosing. The dealership and collision center provided me a contact. Second opinion was very knowledge regarding Porsche. His estimate was about $17k. I submitted his written estimate to first appraiser. They subsequently discussed and 17k estimate was submitted to 3rd party. I received this more favorable amount. In my state, if dealing directly with company (1st party) the DV is very difficult to obtain. I didn’t use a lawyer and really didn’t want to go that route.

Quick Reply: help. Recommendations. Bad day!