Sponsored By:

Drifting with Cayenne

Old 02-08-2018, 11:46 AM
DavidBur
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Drifting with Cayenne

Hi guys,
anybody else tried drifting or powersliding your Cayenne?

When I did so I was very surprised how oversteering the car was... It was hard to get the car sideways (due to the weight ofcourse ) but once you do its a very playful family car!
What is your experience?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Nope - can't say I've done this. I see no real reason to do it - but different strokes for different folks. I'm moving this off to the 958 subforum since that appears to be what the Utube video is showing.

Hang on - moving a thread is just like drifting..
Old 02-08-2018, 12:35 PM
DavidBur
AutoX

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Nope - can't say I've done this. I see no real reason to do it - but different strokes for different folks. I'm moving this off to the 958 subforum since that appears to be what the Utube video is showing.

Hang on - moving a thread is just like drifting..
As you wrote there isn't a real point drifting an SUV I did it only to se how does the car behave, but it is the funniest way to finish your tires definitely
Old 02-08-2018, 02:03 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

I make a habit of finding what every vehicle I own feels like at (and beyond) the limit - I think it's a good thing to know.. At least, that's how I explain it to the wife I have a feeling the Cayenne will be one of the more difficult to slide around, but I'm sure it behaves rather well doing so. Drifting my 7900lb Dodge 3500 diesel was actually one of the easiest to control (I think the mile-long wheelbase helped), it just took a LOT of room to do it. I did slide the CD around a bit in the snow before I got the Blizzak's, but PSM was still engaged. I was initially surprised by how much PSM allowed before stepping in, but it IS a Porsche after all, not a VW.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:52 PM
DavidBur
AutoX

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
I make a habit of finding what every vehicle I own feels like at (and beyond) the limit - I think it's a good thing to know.. At least, that's how I explain it to the wife I have a feeling the Cayenne will be one of the more difficult to slide around, but I'm sure it behaves rather well doing so. Drifting my 7900lb Dodge 3500 diesel was actually one of the easiest to control (I think the mile-long wheelbase helped), it just took a LOT of room to do it. I did slide the CD around a bit in the snow before I got the Blizzak's, but PSM was still engaged. I was initially surprised by how much PSM allowed before stepping in, but it IS a Porsche after all, not a VW.
I have exactly same approach. If you know what are the limits of your car and how does it behave in uncommon situations and beyond the limit, it can definitely help you once you get in to some problem on the road.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:19 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

I had the opportunity to beat the daylights out of a Turbo S at the Atlanta PEC. It's damn near impossible to get that beast to drift, even with traction control off. It's VERY planted. You really have to seriously abuse the throttle and steering to get even a short drift out of it. Made me glad it wasn't MY vehicle, heh.

Subsequently during several autocross events with my GTS it's likewise remarkably balanced with the proper tires. If anything there's a bit of oversteer (plow) due to the sheer mass of it all (and lack of driving skills?). But at no point does it feel like it's going to get away from you. However, with the wrong tires, yeah, you can swing that back end out. The 19" winter setup is sloppier than the 20" all-seasons, especially if it's warmer than 55F. The compound of the winter tires doesn't give as much grip as the temps warm up, which is to be expected. Tires (and their condition) matter, a LOT. I'm looking forward to when I've chewed up the LS2s enough to replace them. They're not great, but not 'bad enough' to pull them off and throw them away. Close, though...

Last edited by wkearney99; 02-09-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I had the opportunity to beat the daylights out of a Turbo S at the Atlanta PEC. It's damn near impossible to get that beast to drift, even with traction control off. It's VERY planted. You really have to seriously abuse the throttle and steering to get even a short drift out of it. Made me glad it wasn't MY vehicle, heh.

Subsequently during several autocross events with my GTS it's likewise remarkably balanced with the proper tires. If anything there's a bit of oversteer (plow) due to the sheer mass of it all (and lack of driving skills?). But at no point does it feel like it's going to get away from you. However, with the wrong tires, yeah, you can swing that back end out. The 19" winter setup is sloppier than the 20" all-seasons, especially if it's warmer than 55F. The compound of the winter tires doesn't give as much grip as the temps warm up, which is to be expected. Tires (and their condition) matter, a LOT. I'm looking forward to when I've chewed up the LS2s enough to replace them. They're not great, but not 'bad enough' to pull them off and throw them away. Close, though...
Plow is understeer - the car is plowing through the corner rather than steering where you've pointed it and the wheels, so it's understeering. Oversteer is where the car is turning more (it's oversteering) than you've told it to by having the rear end come around or slide out.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Plow is understeer - the car is plowing through the corner rather than steering where you've pointed it and the wheels, so it's understeering. Oversteer is where the car is turning more (it's oversteering) than you've told it to by having the rear end come around or slide out.
Yes, thanks, clearly not enough coffee yet for that comment...
Old 02-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 69 Posts

Drifting a Cayenne must do wonders for the transfer case, lol.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:53 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Drifting a Cayenne must do wonders for the transfer case, lol.
Warranty Baby! I've already looked into mine and it's lacking the tube fix. Thus I'm 'on record' as needing that but they don't do it proactively. So it's burn that sucker up while it's covered.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:00 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In an isolated empty parking lot with six inches of snow, once I got the rear end to breakaway, I found my 2012 Cayenne Turbo to be steerable with the throttle and with a reasonably neutral balance. It's the best winter vehicle I have ever owned for both traction and then controllable sliding. What a different experience compared to my 4x4 2014 Silverado. It plows and then snap oversteers. Once the rear end comes around it's donut time.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:10 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

old thread...

After a snowfall or ice storm, I regularly turn off traction control. I have the NA V6 Cayenne and find it surprisingly well-balanced. It is easy to flick back and forth, very catchable and hugely enjoyable. I do have 18" wheels mounted with Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 XL. Favorite winter car ever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drifting with Cayenne