Sponsored By:

acoustic locking sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 03:53 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts
Default acoustic locking sound

So, I've had my CS for about 2 weeks.. As mentioned in another post where I piled a bunch of things into one post. The acoustic locking sound doesn't work when i lock the car with the remote. It blinks twice as per the manual but doesn't make the sound. Does anyone know if i the diagnostic tools such as iCarsoft or Durametric have a test option to trigger this sound? I just don't want to go to the dealer for such a small thing. Not to mention, it feels great to save some $$.

I've checked the doors, bonnet and tailgate. all close and lock properly. it just seems like the sound is just not there, however, I believe I recall the sound working when i first went to see the car at the dealer I bought from.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

IIRC - you can turn this sound on or off using the vehicle settings in the PCM. You may want to open the manual.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:10 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
IIRC - you can turn this sound on or off using the vehicle settings in the PCM. You may want to open the manual.
I checked the manual front to back and there is no mention of turning this off. Also, I went through all the menu items on the steering control as well as the pcm control and I don't see a setting to turn this on/off. If you're able to locate this or steps on how to do it, I'll gladly test it out.

Thanks for responding to the post.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Heading to the garage with my key.. I found an online 2014-2015 - and there is no mention (as you found) of an audible alarm arming confirmation. All they mentioned is the double-blink of the parking lights. Lets see what mine ('11 CTT) does. Hang on a second..

OK - back. Mine does a double-chirp on key locking and door-button locking. No noise on unlocking. I poked around a bit on vehicle settings, I could swear I saw someplace in the convoluted menu system an option to turn the chirp off - but couldn't find it. Go figure.

Have you tried triggering the alarm (panic button on your key?) - that would tell you if the siren is working.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:19 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

There isn't an option in the menu to turn this feature off and no, the Durametric doesn't offer much of anything on the 958's in terms of coding or activation of modules. It's a glorified service reminder reset tool until their engineers figure out how to crack the code. I speaking with them in the past, I didn't walk away feeling confident that this was something they were going to tackle.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:37 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jtakhtalian
There isn't an option in the menu to turn this feature off and no, the Durametric doesn't offer much of anything on the 958's in terms of coding or activation of modules. It's a glorified service reminder reset tool until their engineers figure out how to crack the code. I speaking with them in the past, I didn't walk away feeling confident that this was something they were going to tackle.
Sounds like I should be good with iCarsoft tool for future use with codes and resets since it's only $150. I'd love to get a more sophisticated tool like PIWIS, but not for $2k grand.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:43 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Heading to the garage with my key.. I found an online 2014-2015 - and there is no mention (as you found) of an audible alarm arming confirmation. All they mentioned is the double-blink of the parking lights. Lets see what mine ('11 CTT) does. Hang on a second..

OK - back. Mine does a double-chirp on key

locking and door-button locking. No noise on unlocking. I poked around a bit on vehicle settings, I could swear I saw someplace in the convoluted menu system an option to turn the chirp off - but couldn't find it. Go figure.

Have you tried triggering the alarm (panic button on your key?) - that would tell you if the siren is working.
Ok, just tested, the panic works just fine. It's kinda like a high pitch, almost like whistling sound.

Almost feel like I entered a Nintendo cheat code and it turned it off. When I first got the car, I was bushing buttons and turned the key in the door. Maybe I inadvertently put in some secret combination? Does one e en exist?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Ok, just tested, the panic works just fine. It's kinda like a high pitch, almost like whistling sound.

Almost feel like I entered a Nintendo cheat code and it turned it off. When I first got the car, I was bushing buttons and turned the key in the door. Maybe I inadvertently put in some secret combination? Does one e en exist?
Here you are trying to turn this thing on and I've been desperately trying to turn mine off. The 2013's actually beep the horn twice as opposed to a chirp. I can't believe there's no way to turn this annoying feature off. My neighbors must love me when I get home late from work (on a regular basis!)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:53 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jtakhtalian
Here you are trying to turn this thing on and I've been desperately trying to turn mine off. The 2013's actually beep the horn twice as opposed to a chirp. I can't believe there's no way to turn this annoying feature off. My neighbors must love me when I get home late from work (on a regular basis!)
This cracks me up, haha!!!

I don't care about neighbors. You want quiet, move to the woods.
Mainly I need some sort of feedback from the car because I've had ton of times where I leave cars unlocked. I start walking away and just listen for a noise from the car as I press the lock button. In this case I need to keep looking at it.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

You likely have a fault that needs to be figured out with a proper scan tool, or good diagnosing. For example, if a door latch stops working where it actually does not lock anymore (quite common), the alarm siren will not chirp when you lock the car via the key or the button on the door handle (if you are so equipped). In this case, when you lock it, and no chirps occur, you'd be able to open the faulty door without the key unlocking the car.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:51 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by garrett376
You likely have a fault that needs to be figured out with a proper scan tool, or good diagnosing. For example, if a door latch stops working where it actually does not lock anymore (quite common), the alarm siren will not chirp when you lock the car via the key or the button on the door handle (if you are so equipped). In this case, when you lock it, and no chirps occur, you'd be able to open the faulty door without the key unlocking the car.
I actually checked this a couple of times. Locked the car, then walked around trying every door, tailgate and gas door. All locked. Wouldn't it blink differently than the normal 2 times if something was open?
Old 01-19-2019, 09:51 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

For my '17 I went to the dealer and had them turn off the alarm chirp and the rear hatch closing noise. Specifically to avoid late night noise waking the neighbor kids. They had me sign a waiver for the rear hatch noise.

The manual explains locking in better detail:
http://porscheownersmanuals.com/2017...-Entry-&-Drive

There's also the passenger compartment monitoring system, and how it affects the indicator light flashing:
http://porscheownersmanuals.com/2017...1/Alarm-system
Old 01-19-2019, 10:25 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wkearney99
For my '17 I went to the dealer and had them turn off the alarm chirp and the rear hatch closing noise. Specifically to avoid late night noise waking the neighbor kids. They had me sign a waiver for the rear hatch noise.

The manual explains locking in better detail:
http://porscheownersmanuals.com/2017...-Entry-&-Drive

There's also the passenger compartment monitoring system, and how it affects the indicator light flashing:
http://porscheownersmanuals.com/2017...1/Alarm-system
On my 2011, pressing lock button on remote twice, locks the car but disables interior monitoring. I don't think I have this button. But regardless, manual indicates acoustic sound, which doesn't happen.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

European cars (at least here in Norway) does not have the alarm confirmation bleeps. I am really happy for that.
However, I suspect this to be an PIWIS programmable option in the control unit that takes care of the alarm function, as far as I remember is this the rear passenger compartment control unit or something similar.
Maybe there'a a country setting as in the early Porsche car models that controls this.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 01-19-2019, 11:01 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

Given all of this has to get programmed through PIWIS, I'd think a conversation with the dealer about it would be enlightening. They should be able to bring up any past dealer work based on the VIN. Could very well likely be the previous owner had it turned off.

Quick Reply: acoustic locking sound