Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 07:31 PM
mnwild
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Have a 2014, have had the P226D00 CEL and P242F00 for a few thousand miles, changed my DPF and related sensors probably 2k mi ago and CEL came right back on so since then have been looking at Rawtek DPF Adblue DEL and their tune from Tunezilla.

Is there any benefit to delete the CAT as well as far as reliability issues by keeping it? Rawtek told me it’s mostly done for power and throttle response, which aren’t that important to me to have improvements on.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:59 PM
YaNi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't remove the cat. You're still going to get some exhaust smell with it installed, but it'll smell like an old school bus with it removed. Without the DPF it's already going to have a haze under load and cover the rear hatch in soot. There's minimal performance impact as long as you're still running the stock turbo, mostly turbo response.
Old 12-23-2023, 01:46 PM
2013dzl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR w cat delete /tune

Is it possible to do a new EGR w cat delete and Tune?
Old 12-27-2023, 11:26 PM
menzzer37
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone upgrade to the 2.5 tune? I flashed from 2 to 2.5. Lots of pull over 2k rpm but crazy lag from a stop. It’s super jerky and hard to drive
Old 12-28-2023, 01:11 AM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Got no issues with my 2.5 flash.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:51 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did the stage 2 with dynamic EGR via the Flashzilla OBD2 dongle, and now the car won’t start (‘15 CD). If I hold the ignition on, it will start for about 1.5 seconds, and then shut off. Can’t seem to be able to reflash back to stock either, I get a “remove key from ignition” error on the dash about 10% of the way through the flash, and it doesn’t complete.

And of course, this on a Saturday when their support staff is off. Anyone have any similar experiences?

(FWIW, I was also trying to do the Autobahn TCU tune as well, and it’s failing prior to completion.). Really hoping I haven’t bricked something.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:33 PM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
I just did the stage 2 with dynamic EGR via the Flashzilla OBD2 dongle, and now the car won’t start (‘15 CD). If I hold the ignition on, it will start for about 1.5 seconds, and then shut off. Can’t seem to be able to reflash back to stock either, I get a “remove key from ignition” error on the dash about 10% of the way through the flash, and it doesn’t complete.

And of course, this on a Saturday when their support staff is off. Anyone have any similar experiences?

(FWIW, I was also trying to do the Autobahn TCU tune as well, and it’s failing prior to completion.). Really hoping I haven’t bricked something.
What is the condition/age of the battery while flashing? Was it on a charger at the time? Can you reflash the tune? I have not experienced this specifically.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:45 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

It is an older battery, but still tests above 12V, and I did have it on a charger at the time, but the Flashzilla app was showing less than 12V while doing the flash. Think that might be it?

I’ve had it on the charger for a few more hours since, and it’s showing 12.6V both on and off the charger. I’m going to try and reflash the tune now.
Old 12-30-2023, 03:41 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Ok, I’ve managed to get it reflashed to stock, but the car still won’t start for more than a second. Might be the failed TCU flash that’s causing it.

As well, all of the start/stop/flashing has drained the battery below 12V again, and I’m again getting nowhere. Waiting now for the voltage to get back up above 12.16V.

Anyone know how to reboot the ECU in a Cayenne diesel? In any other car, I would just disconnect the battery terminal, but you can’t get to it in a CD.
Old 12-31-2023, 02:15 PM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Ok, I’ve managed to get it reflashed to stock, but the car still won’t start for more than a second. Might be the failed TCU flash that’s causing it.

As well, all of the start/stop/flashing has drained the battery below 12V again, and I’m again getting nowhere. Waiting now for the voltage to get back up above 12.16V.

Anyone know how to reboot the ECU in a Cayenne diesel? In any other car, I would just disconnect the battery terminal, but you can’t get to it in a CD.
Try pulling the fuse?
https://fuse-box.info/porsche/porsch...011-2017-fuses
Old 12-31-2023, 03:50 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Crisis averted. Turns out it was my battery charger that wasn’t working properly. The load placed on the old battery by the flashing process dropped it down to a level where the battery charger couldn’t keep up, and the flashes would fail mid-write. Since the code was incomplete, the car wouldn’t start.

A new 30Amp DeWalt bench charger made all the difference. Both the TCU and ECU (with dynamic EGR) took right away, and now the car is driving beautifully. (Still gonna do the battery replace mind you) but initial thoughts are that the tunes are excellent.
The following 2 users liked this post by LittleBitBent:
AbominableR (01-02-2024), KBell (12-31-2023)
Old 01-02-2024, 05:40 PM
ChrisTDI
Racer

Crisis averted. Turns out it was my battery charger that wasn’t working properly. The load placed on the old battery by the flashing process dropped it down to a level where the battery charger couldn’t keep up, and the flashes would fail mid-write. Since the code was incomplete, the car wouldn’t start.

A new 30Amp DeWalt bench charger made all the difference. Both the TCU and ECU (with dynamic EGR) took right away, and now the car is driving beautifully. (Still gonna do the battery replace mind you) but initial thoughts are that the tunes are excellent.
Glad to hear it. There should be a notice on the flashzilla to put the car on the charger as the tuning process does take quite a while!
Old 01-04-2024, 11:04 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by bdronsick
This works great for 958.2; worth trying-

https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-NT530...0456208&sr=8-7
Thanks for the scanner tip !

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?