Sponsored By:

185k mile 2011 Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 05:18 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 185k mile 2011 Cayenne Turbo

Anyone seen this on Cargurus? I am considering buying this Cayenne. I did check the recall website and it's recall is incomplete so it may need the fix. My current Cayenne 05 CS has over 143k miles on it and is doing fine. Actually have someone who wants to buy it from the club. Is this to far out there? I do work on all my cars from my 911 C2S to my E39 M5. My build thread is on here when I built my C2S. Just want to see what you guys think. Also if anyone is in Indiana stop by and check on the car and let me know (if you have time).

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=186420017
Old 12-17-2017, 09:37 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

I think I'll drag this over to the 958 subforum since that's what it is, and some people may have some knowledge. Hang on...
Old 12-17-2017, 09:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Interesting.. and good to see mine may actually have some value if I grow bored with it... (currently driving it across the US..)

Check the stickie here in this subforum for the got'cha's on the 958. In general they're more reliable than the 955/957 series.. but at almost 200k miles one has to accept that anything could go bad at any time. I'd want a PPI on it and a compression test, and pics of the spark plugs active ends. With that many miles it sounds like it isn't going to suffer from the Porsche V8 cylinder wall failure, and that it's probably avoided the Variocam problem, or it already happened and was fixed. The stickie tells you how to know if it was done - mention it to the shop doing the PPI. I would hope there are service records for it - and perhaps a bit of digging before purchase (find out who owned it - or ask the dealer to contact whoever owned it and see if they'll share the service records with you, or give permission for the servicing dealer to share them with you..)

Looks identically equipped to mine pretty much, but black on black rather than black on white. Mines enjoyable to drive - found myself cruising at 100mph today by accident on I-40 in New Mexico. Clear road, and others doing that speed, never really noticed until I looked down and went "woops" - wife also never noticed which is a testament to how well these handle speed. She would have known it in the 955..

Let us know what you decide to do.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Tough call ... that is a lot of miles. I am not afraid to work on my cars either and have restored/built a few cars. The Cayenne is difficult to work on as there is a need for many special tools. For example, to pull the motor or transmission requires a special tool that costs thousands of $.

That being said, my CTT just rolled 100k miles and it is extremely solid and runs strong. I see it lasting a long, long time.

I think you could buy a CTT with mileage at the 100k point for not much more $. I'd guess mid to high $20s. Might be worth the extra money.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:07 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

did you see rip in driver seat?

http://www.tomwoodvolkswagennoblesvi...de598259fc0a0c

Unless there are records - it will need all fluid change, filters, plugs and coils - probably $1000 in parts alone (if you don't mind doing your own work)
Its very nicely loaded specimen with Burmeister and Adaptive Cruise control
Old 12-17-2017, 11:19 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Pfffft, at that price, I woulda bought that over my S.

I'm also known to not make the best choices, so take that as you may.

Showing as one-owner leads me to believe it's been very well cared-for. Noblesville, IN doesn't look like a particularly low-income town also give faith in it being well cared-for by someone that could afford to do so properly. Checking the Carfax and seeing where it's been serviced and what for / how often will shed some more light. I second Don's sentiment of a PPI and compression test. My guess is by that mileage, the cam bolt failure happened and was likely replaced with the WC-22 parts, and should be good to go on that front. Looks to be a good buy if everything checks out and you're not one to drive a ton of miles yearly.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:16 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thank you all. I currently use my Cayenne 957 to tow my 911 and a small travel trailer. The new Cayenne will have similar duty. I may keep looking. I started out looking for a S model but was concerned about the tow capability. Then started seeing some high mileage CTTs in a doable price range. I reached out to the sales person so will see what they say. Other than that will continue looking. I was trying to sell my M5 plus my 18.4k in order to get to a good place. M5 hasn't sold yet (at my price) so hopefully something will happen.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Being at Tom Wood VW in Noblesville it was probably serviced at Tom Wood Porsche. You can probably give them a call to verify what servicing was done by Porsche.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks like a very nicely equipped one for sure, and the fact that its gone 185k and still seems to be in pretty good shape is a sign of a solid vehicle I would think?

As others have mentioned, a good PPI would be in order. No way you could get an extended warranty with that mileage, so just keep in mind that although these are pretty solid vehicles for this class, if things do happen it can get crazy expensive real easy. But on the other hand you could end up with a great vehicle at a great price, that has a lot of fun left in it. What's the price, I didn't see one listed? (Never mind, I saw the price....wow! might be worth it)

Let us know that you decide, good luck!
Old 12-18-2017, 05:39 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Looks like a very nicely equipped one for sure, and the fact that its gone 185k and still seems to be in pretty good shape is a sign of a solid vehicle I would think?

As others have mentioned, a good PPI would be in order. No way you could get an extended warranty with that mileage, so just keep in mind that although these are pretty solid vehicles for this class, if things do happen it can get crazy expensive real easy. But on the other hand you could end up with a great vehicle at a great price, that has a lot of fun left in it. What's the price, I didn't see one listed? (Never mind, I saw the price....wow! might be worth it)

Let us know that you decide, good luck!
Well, you snooze you loose. The sales person called me yesterday and said that the car was sold😓 so I am still looking.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:48 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not worried about a engine failure but, a transmission failure is a whole other story. Changing a engine is big deal. Doing the transmission would be. Unless you owned a lift and have a lot of spare time.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:35 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trendy996
Not worried about a engine failure but, a transmission failure is a whole other story. Changing a engine is big deal. Doing the transmission would be. Unless you owned a lift and have a lot of spare time.
Well I built my 911. Put the engine and tranny in. Not a real hard thing to do. However I hear Cayenne's are not DIY friendly especially the 958. I have worked and had the top half off my 957 before. Well I did see a deal in Colorado springs last month. it was an S and not a Turbo. I would like a CTT but can settle for a CS if it can tow a 17 foot travel trailer or my 911 race car. The one I am working on doesn't have the air suspension. I know most say it's needed for towing however I have towed with my 957 v8 and not had any issues. Is the CS torquey enough? It is a V8. Anyone tow with an S with no air suspension?
Old 12-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Well I built my 911. Put the engine and tranny in. Not a real hard thing to do. However I hear Cayenne's are not DIY friendly especially the 958. I have worked and had the top half off my 957 before. Well I did see a deal in Colorado springs last month. it was an S and not a Turbo. I would like a CTT but can settle for a CS if it can tow a 17 foot travel trailer or my 911 race car. The one I am working on doesn't have the air suspension. I know most say it's needed for towing however I have towed with my 957 v8 and not had any issues. Is the CS torquey enough? It is a V8. Anyone tow with an S with no air suspension?
Between S and Turbo - you should get the Turbo
Look for GTS too - these have air suspension and nice looking body kit.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:32 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Inside New Cayenne

New Cayenne

So, this is what I have found. More pics later. Its quite nicely optioned (Pano, Burmeister, Tow, full leather, etc). Has 130k. Spoke to Colorado Springs Porsche today about the car, did Carfax and got some other info. It's not White (which is what I wanted) but has all the options except Air suspension and from what I have heard that has good and bad. Will see how it goes.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:37 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well, here is what I am going for:

This is what I have to work with:

This is a two owner car. Was serviced at the dealer until mileage ran out. First owner had it 2.5 years, second owner less than 3 years. 130k miles, have to find out about the transfer case. However I called the servicing dealer and left message. Will find out from potential seller after holiday. Dealer did tell me that the recalls had been done except for the circlip recall. They said to bring it in. Car fax shows at 27k miles the engine was out for some type of service at Rancho Mirage Porsche. Will call them to see what that was all about. Car is heavily optioned (Pano, seats etc). Will the VIN decoder tell me what came originally on the car? Seller actually has the window sticker (he said). Maybe have him shoot a camera shot of that. Will update after holiday.

Last edited by ocmacman; 12-25-2017 at 04:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 185k mile 2011 Cayenne Turbo