Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

DIY 958 (Aftermarket) Trailer Hitch Receiver Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Any info/news on the wiring/trailer brakes control?? I've been planning to add the trailer hitch, but couldn't figure out about the wiring/trailer brake control since the Cayenne didn't come with any factory 7 wire or any sort of connection for the trailer (for car).
Old 03-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheconvert
I just had the Curt installed today. The Curt dealer said they make an aftermarket switch to plug in the electronics as well...
Yes, and no. There are adapters that will indeed give you trailer lights, but it just taps into your taillight wiring. This is the cleanest one I've seen around, since there's no direct contact needed with the OEM wiring: https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...leid=201546581

That said, it's NOT the same as the factory system, which includes a computer mounted behind the trim in the right rear of the Cayenne, and interfaces "properly" with the vehicle. It changes the transmission (and probably throttle) mappings automatically, shows you when the trailer turn signals are flashing (in the tach area, there's another turn signal indicator), and more. That's one reason the OEM setup from suncoast is so costly. The wiring harness isn't inexpensive, but the module is several hundred dollars.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:43 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Can anyone confirm that the 7P0907383F module from a Tourareg works with the 958.1? I have no reason to doubt it doesn't but want to make sure before spending money on one.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

7P0-907-383-G is what comes up in the sonnen catalog for a '13 CD, so I think you're on the right track. The G is a newer version, and based on this thread, probably the better one to get. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...lems-help.html

958-612-506-00 is the harness from that module to the 7-way plug.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:03 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
7P0-907-383-G is what comes up in the sonnen catalog for a '13 CD, so I think you're on the right track. The G is a newer version, and based on this thread, probably the better one to get. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...lems-help.html

958-612-506-00 is the harness from that module to the 7-way plug.
Yeah, the G version is Porsche and the F version is VW/Audi. Not too many of the G version floating around on the used market at this time while the F version is plentiful. The B version is what was original on the MY11.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom M
Yeah, the G version is Porsche and the F version is VW/Audi. Not too many of the G version floating around on the used market at this time while the F version is plentiful. The B version is what was original on the MY11.
Seems like you've done your homework so I'll take your word on it - that thread I linked to had differing information about the F vs. G. The G is not terribly pricey, unless we're talking $50 used vs. the $225 new.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

For my own curiosity I'll be watching this, even tho I have no need.

I suspect there will be issues doing the final coding since it's a VW module (not that there's any difference in hardware BUT I bet you there are some initial bits in the firmware that say "VW" vs "Porsche").... but have no basis for that, just a suspicion. If this winds up being confirmed as working, then it opens up the possibility of considering VW modules for other Porsche parts in the future.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:59 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

has anyone done a hitch install on a cayenne s e-hybrid? i know the battery is back there, does it interfere?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:58 PM
jnsaldana25
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this up, trying to figure out if the VW F module will work on my 16' Cayenne Diesel.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 PM
chiapet15
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
has anyone done a hitch install on a cayenne s e-hybrid? i know the battery is back there, does it interfere?
The high voltage battery in the rear does not interfere with the trailer hitch installation. I put the curt trailer hitch on my 2016 Cayenne eHybrid
Old 09-14-2018, 01:48 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Question - how does the factory installed hitch module sense that something is being towed? We have auxiliary tail-lights installed as the regular tail-lights become obliterated with dirt in the summer and snow in the winter. The auxiliary tail-lights are connected to the hitch harness inside the tailgate. The Aux lights are always on whenever the running lights are illuminated. Photo is from just one day of driving - washing frequently is not an option in the middle of a competitive rally event. We are driving a 2013 diesel that has not been 'fixed'

Last edited by RS-America; 09-14-2018 at 01:51 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-14-2018, 10:19 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Pretty sure that it determines a trailer is attached based on the current draw from the trailer lights. If you're attached to the external hitch electrical plug you should be able to confirm that by locking the car and then unplugging the lights. If it thinks a trailer is attached the alarm is supposed to go off. If you're attached inside the vehicle you might be able to disable the internal motion sensor and then do similar with the disconnect.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:05 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Pretty sure that it determines a trailer is attached based on the current draw from the trailer lights. If you're attached to the external hitch electrical plug you should be able to confirm that by locking the car and then unplugging the lights. If it thinks a trailer is attached the alarm is supposed to go off. If you're attached inside the vehicle you might be able to disable the internal motion sensor and then do similar with the disconnect.
Thanks,
Added piece of info - We always keep our headlights on when driving and leave the switch in the on position. When I lock it the Aux lights flash on and off a couple of times before turning completely off.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:44 AM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Can anyone confirm that the 7P0907383F module from a Tourareg works with the 958.1? I have no reason to doubt it doesn't but want to make sure before spending money on one.
Tom - Did you end up going ahead with this? I'm in need of wiring for my 2011 CTT and using the 7P0907383F seems like a great solution if it would work.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:14 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RS-America
Question - how does the factory installed hitch module sense that something is being towed? We have auxiliary tail-lights installed as the regular tail-lights become obliterated with dirt in the summer and snow in the winter. The auxiliary tail-lights are connected to the hitch harness inside the tailgate. The Aux lights are always on whenever the running lights are illuminated. Photo is from just one day of driving - washing frequently is not an option in the middle of a competitive rally event. We are driving a 2013 diesel that has not been 'fixed'
Short answer - resistance.

Longer answer - As best i can figure out, if the circuit is "open", the car says no trailer connected. The phenomenon that we've seen with LED lights barely flickering every few seconds when plugged in supports my theory that the trailer module tries to send a low voltage "pulse" every few seconds to the trailer's parking light circuit. If there's an amperage draw, then the car says "trailer connected". If not, no trailer connected.

@RS-America - Is Otis equipped with rear parking sensors, LCA, or a rear view camera? What I've noticed when the car thinks a trailer is connected as I drive away, the following happens:
1: A message in the MFD pops up saying something along the lines of "LCA unavailable trailer mode not possible", and the LCA is turned off.
2: When reversing, I no longer get the lines on the rear view camera that move with the angle of the steering wheel (and a message about trailer on that screen)
3: Rear parking sensors are disabled.

I'd be REALLY curious if you get the same message with your auxillary lights, since those are just trailer lights themselves?

Quick Reply: DIY 958 (Aftermarket) Trailer Hitch Receiver Installation