Sponsored By:

DIY 958 (Aftermarket) Trailer Hitch Receiver Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 12:16 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kvec
Tom - Did you end up going ahead with this? I'm in need of wiring for my 2011 CTT and using the 7P0907383F seems like a great solution if it would work.
That's the part number of the module that was factory installed on my 2016, so I'd say you're good. There was some additional mention of that here for further reading if you'd like... https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...4-cayenne.html
Old 06-05-2020, 03:10 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
Short answer - resistance.
Longer answer - As best i can figure out, if the circuit is "open", the car says no trailer connected. The phenomenon that we've seen with LED lights barely flickering every few seconds when plugged in supports my theory that the trailer module tries to send a low voltage "pulse" every few seconds to the trailer's parking light circuit. If there's an amperage draw, then the car says "trailer connected". If not, no trailer connected.
@RS-America - Is Otis equipped with rear parking sensors, LCA, or a rear view camera? What I've noticed when the car thinks a trailer is connected as I drive away, the following happens:
1: A message in the MFD pops up saying something along the lines of "LCA unavailable trailer mode not possible", and the LCA is turned off.
2: When reversing, I no longer get the lines on the rear view camera that move with the angle of the steering wheel (and a message about trailer on that screen)
3: Rear parking sensors are disabled.
I'd be REALLY curious if you get the same message with your auxillary lights, since those are just trailer lights themselves?
Agree with your assessment "Short answer - resistance."
We do not have either LCA or the rear view camera. Wish we had gotten LCA
Our rear parking sensors are above the tire carrier - so no problem
Our front parking sensors were relocated into the bush bar and work as normal, except when we have our front 2" receiver mounted.
We have used the parking sensor disable switch:
The only other parking sensor issue we have is when they get obliterated with mud as in the photo above or
in the rally to the Arctic Ocean this past March where they were obliterated with snow and ice. Had so much ice that the tailgate was frozen shut and stayed so as temps were -20 to -30F.
Article about this winters rally - https://www.pca.org/news/2020-04-20/...can-5000-rally

Awaiting the start of the next rally stage
Old 07-11-2020, 02:59 PM
liun
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the part number and where to buy for the electronics, both the control unit
and harness? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:20 AM
anjill
4th Gear

Anyone??
Old 04-14-2021, 03:02 PM
bihi
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, my dealer quoted me $2846.32 plus tax for trailer hitch installation on my 2013 Cayenne S on Florida's Space Coast. Instead, I'm ordering the OEM hitch from Suncoast at $1050 + $30 for the wiring adapter and planning to install myself. Suncoast estimated $240 for shipping - freight, but that's still cheaper than buying from my local dealer who quoted me $1347 for the hitch alone.

I'll plan to post an update after my install to let you know how it goes.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:19 PM
anjill
4th Gear

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Curt-Class-...Cclp%3A2334524
Old 04-14-2021, 03:56 PM
bihi
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@anjill , The Curt is tempting, especially since it claims to support the full 7500lbs towing capability. I'm definitely planning heavy duty towing close to the limits of the vehicle rating, though, so going with something other than the OEM hitch makes me uneasy.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:21 PM
anjill
4th Gear

You should not worry about that. Are you installing a brake controller? That IS very important if you are towing anything heavy.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:47 PM
lelandr
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that this is an old thread, but does anyone know what the proper torque spec for the 8 M12 bolts which attach the hitch to the chassis and suspect that I might also be yielding some of the others.? The only figure I found was 82ft-lbs (111Nm), but using this, I snapped one bolt off and considerably necked another. I assumed that maybe it should have been 82Nm, which is what BMW lists for an M12 8.8 bolt (incidentally, the same BMW table lists 115Nm for a 10.9), but I don't see any other specs out there.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2022, 04:49 AM
Peter Ogden
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lelandr
I know that this is an old thread, but does anyone know what the proper torque spec for the 8 M12 bolts which attach the hitch to the chassis and suspect that I might also be yielding some of the others.? The only figure I found was 82ft-lbs (111Nm), but using this, I snapped one bolt off and considerably necked another. I assumed that maybe it should have been 82Nm, which is what BMW lists for an M12 8.8 bolt (incidentally, the same BMW table lists 115Nm for a 10.9), but I don't see any other specs out there.

Thanks!
Based on a Porsche Tequipment installation PDF that I found, the bolts should be torqued to 120 Nm (which according to Google convert is about 88 ft-lb). Not sure why you are snapping the bolts?

Attached Images
Old 04-21-2022, 01:01 PM
lelandr
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Ogden
Based on a Porsche Tequipment installation PDF that I found, the bolts should be torqued to 120 Nm (which according to Google convert is about 88 ft-lb). Not sure why you are snapping the bolts?
Thanks. I found that document, but do note that it seems to be for Cayennes pre-958 variant. I got some new bolts (which are 8.8), with a couple extras and started to tighten them. Low and behold, with two different torque wrenches, 82ft-lbs begins to deform the bolts. Perhaps this is correct, but I'm not sure if they're supposed to be torque-to-yield bolts, although I did find one reference somewhere about not reusing them. I settled on using Loctite 263 and torquing the bolts to 82Nm (~60-61 ft-lbs). I marked them so that I can see if there are issues with them backing out, but I can't find anything definitive.

For anyone installing a hitch after this, I have a hint. The hitch bar itself is heavy. I threaded a couple of wheel studs loosely into the upper, inner bolt holes in order to be able to hang the hitch bar on while installing the bolts. Takes a couple of extra minutes to do this, but then no trying to negotiate a heavy hitch bar in place while trying to thread in bolts.
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 06:30 AM
Peter Ogden
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. I found that document, but do note that it seems to be for Cayennes pre-958 variant.
The document I mentioned was for the 92A ,which is also known as the 958, for years 2011 through 2018. I did find an updated installation bulletin dated Jan 23, 2015, but the torque value listed is still the same - 120 Nm.

I got some new bolts (which are 8.8), with a couple extras and started to tighten them. Low and behold, with two different torque wrenches, 82ft-lbs begins to deform the bolts. Perhaps this is correct, but I'm not sure if they're supposed to be torque-to-yield bolts, although I did find one reference somewhere about not reusing them. I settled on using Loctite 263 and torquing the bolts to 82Nm (~60-61 ft-lbs). I marked them so that I can see if there are issues with them backing out, but I can't find anything definitive.
Did you buy bolts made from cheese? I just successfully installed my towbar on my Cayenne Diesel using those instructions and torqued all the bolts to 120 Nm without issue. None of the bolts looked particularly over-stressed. Maybe you were getting some binding in the bolt holes? Did you test screw in the bolts before trying to mount the bar? The instructions do mention that you may need to check that the threads aren't dirty and to run a tap through if necessary.

For anyone installing a hitch after this, I have a hint. The hitch bar itself is heavy. I threaded a couple of wheel studs loosely into the upper, inner bolt holes in order to be able to hang the hitch bar on while installing the bolts. Takes a couple of extra minutes to do this, but then no trying to negotiate a heavy hitch bar in place while trying to thread in bolts.
That's not a bad idea. It is definitely not light. I got my wife to help me bolt the towbar on loosely first then centered the bolts in the holes and torqued them while she took some of the weight.

Last edited by Peter Ogden; 04-22-2022 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY 958 (Aftermarket) Trailer Hitch Receiver Installation