Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

DIY Cayenne Front Side Marker / Turn Signal removal? LED install...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 03:48 AM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow DIY Cayenne Front Side Marker / Turn Signal removal? LED install...

I did a search in the 958 forum and cannot find a DIY video and/or pics for removing the side marker/turn signal on a 2013 Cayenne?

Already have the clear markers, but I am going to change the bulbs to 6k LED's to match the headlights/DRL's. I did something similar to my 997.2 and could not be happier (link to DIY):

997 LED Side Markers DIY

It was super simple on the 997, and the 958.1 appears to be similar, but any tips/tricks/help would be greatly appreciated...

Will post pics once I get the load resistors and LED's installed in the side markers...I hate the yellow-ish halogen looking bulbs and can't wait to have a 6k uniform look up front!

EDIT:

I found this write-up:

Cayenne Clear Side Marker Install

AND this one:

DIY Cayenne Side Marker Removal

^^ The last method seems like it will save a lot of time and appears to be quite easy (great idea with the fishing line!!). Will try this method and report back...will be nice if I don't have to turn the wheel for both sides and remove the inner fender trim

Last edited by St8haus; 08-20-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:52 AM
St8haus
Racer

Sooo I had to go out and try, and let me tell you these are even easier to remove than on the 997.2!! Took me literally 20 seconds to remove one. I did not need fishing line, torx driver or anything other than a plastic trim stick removal tool! Started at the front (towards the bumper) and put the plastic tool in-between the marker and the fender...wedged it behind and then was able to pop the front clip. Then worked my way back and it popped right out. No need to turn the wheel to one side or the other, and do not need to remove any of the inner fender trim. Super simple!

The load resistor and LED bulbs are on the way...will update this thread with installation and final pics when completed!
Attached Images    
Old 08-20-2017, 10:34 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah, as you found out, removal of these is quite easy. I used the fishing line method and it worked great. Nice job.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:13 AM
St8haus
Racer

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Yeah, as you found out, removal of these is quite easy. I used the fishing line method and it worked great. Nice job.
Fishing line was going to be my method if they didn't come right out; seems like that is the safer method too. Did you install clears or change the bulbs out? Or both? I cannot stand the yellow-ish light that comes through the clear signals with a clear halogen (I do not have amber bulbs, the front already has amber so I shouldn't have any issues with "the man"). LED's IMO match so much better and look great with the headlights/DRL ribbons.

Thank you...more to come!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Eric Wong
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys any suggestion where to get the clear LED bulb for the side marker without error code?
Old 08-20-2017, 03:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Copied and stickied in the Cayenne DIY forum.. thanks!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:05 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2 GTS
Fishing line was going to be my method if they didn't come right out; seems like that is the safer method too. Did you install clears or change the bulbs out? Or both?
I installed the clear OEM lenses with the OEM orange bulbs I got from Suncoast Porsche. I'm perfectly happy with that combo.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:27 PM
St8haus
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric Wong
Guys any suggestion where to get the clear LED bulb for the side marker without error code?
I did this to my 997.2:

997.2 LED Side Markers

which is what I will be doing to the Cayenne! I ordered the same load resistors and will be installing them by the end of next week...I will post up what I find. Should be P-N-P with the in-line resistors
Old 08-28-2017, 11:10 AM
St8haus
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric Wong
Here you go! Simple "resistor" inline with the existing socket and voila...you have LED bulbs in the clear side markers without and error codes!! Less than $15 spent on 2 resistors and 10 LEDs. 10 minute install. Any questions just ask

Last pic is of "stock"...clear halogen bulb that looked orange/yellow
Attached Images      
Old 08-28-2017, 11:36 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

997.2 - Thanks for that. I've copied this posting into the DIY thread in the DIY subforum.

Some info needed:

The resistor only works if it is in parallel to the LED.. just in case someone confused "inline" with "series" (another electrical term with a specific meaning.)

Can you give us a source for the resistor package you used? Looks nice - be good if people without soldering skills could just order one.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:35 PM
St8haus
Racer

Originally Posted by deilenberger
997.2 - Thanks for that. I've copied this posting into the DIY thread in the DIY subforum.

Some info needed:

The resistor only works if it is in parallel to the LED.. just in case someone confused "inline" with "series" (another electrical term with a specific meaning.)

Can you give us a source for the resistor package you used? Looks nice - be good if people without soldering skills could just order one.
Didn't mean to confuse; just was pointing out that the resistors are plug-n-play and do not require any modification to existing OEM harness/connection.

Here are the links to the LED load canceller/resistor and LED bulbs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014STAW42/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014STAW42/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DE7UC6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DE7UC6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the price, I am very happy with these LED's...plus you get 10. You can put a lot of different LED's in there, but I picked the 3-LED 6k bulbs as I did not want 5+ LED's as they could be too bright...but if you want more output then order accordingly!
Old 09-28-2019, 09:28 AM
M Man
6th Gear

Hi,
I have a 2017 Cayenne Hybrid, and but the kit from Suncoast. They advised that I need to remove the liner to get the light assembly out. The floss method that's suggested here...Will that work for my car as well, or do I have to pull out the wheel well liner?
Thanks for any help....
Old 09-28-2019, 12:08 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by M Man
Hi,
I have a 2017 Cayenne Hybrid, and but the kit from Suncoast. They advised that I need to remove the liner to get the light assembly out. The floss method that's suggested here...Will that work for my car as well, or do I have to pull out the wheel well liner?
Thanks for any help....
You only have to pull 3 or 4 screws from the front of the liner to get your hand in the fender well to pop the marker out.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:34 AM
M Man
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BrewDude
You only have to pull 3 or 4 screws from the front of the liner to get your hand in the fender well to pop the marker out.
So I pulled the wheel liner on the driver's side out and I unfortunately there are several tubing that blocks access to the light assembly. Any ideas on how to get access?

Quick Reply: DIY Cayenne Front Side Marker / Turn Signal removal? LED install...