Sponsored by:

Radio Channel/Band hopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 04:23 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Channel/Band hopping

While listening to the radio, either FM or AM band, the radio changes stations and/or, it changes bands. I had the radio swapped out and all software updated. Now, oddly, it does it more frequently now. I have made certain my hands are no where near the steering wheel controls for the radio. I have also gone into the menu to deselect the traffic advisory function as I read somewhere that function might trigger the channel hopping. Did not help.

I don't want to necessarily swap it out for another unless we know the problem has been ID'd and corrected. Any one else? Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:03 PM
philted
Intermediate

npplaw: We're having the same problem with our S. Oddly enough, it only happens when we're tuned to the local NPR FM station. The radio skips over to a classic rock station. Always the same two stations.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:09 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

Thanks PhilTed. Actually, mine does too but more specifically to a station that displays the song title and station name continuously. The ghost in the machine does choose different stations, and, even more crazy, it will switch to an AM station while dsiplaying the last FM station. This is the second unit doing the same thing as the originally delivered unit, so I have to think it is more common or I have the worst luck.....
Old 11-19-2003, 06:48 PM
DavidinPDX
4th Gear

The actual problem is not with the radio but with the radio stations. Here is a partial explanation from Porsche.

"...we have had sporadic complaints (in Denver, Atlanta, Cincinnati and Seattle, for example) where the radio station will skip form one station to another without the controls being touched. Unfortunately the responsibility lies at the radio stations - with the RDS function in our radio/PCMs the radio seeks out the RDS PI (program identifier) code which is the item stored in the preset (not the frequency).

Clear Channel Communication owns about 1200 radio stations nationwide and is supplying song titles and artist information via RDS for the music playing on their station. In the setup of their RDS coders they did not pay attention to the PI code (this is effectively a VIN number for the station), which then created a problem for customers with an CDR23/PCM2 system. Replacing the PCM / CDR23 will not resolve this issue.

Clear Channel Communication is now aware of the problem and will program the correct PI codes, following the RBDS instructions. "

I hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:56 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

It does, thanks! That is more info than I have read before, but I have to wonder if other manufacturers have the issue and does Porsche propose that Becker fix it in the next model....
Old 11-20-2003, 02:14 PM
DavidinPDX
4th Gear

I know some Jaguars have experienced similar problems, but I don't know if any other "fixes" are coming.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:40 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I noticed my radio skipping from AM to FM and this was driving in Central Oregon. The dealer switched out the entire PCM unit and it works fine now.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:55 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

Update: Dealer (Carlsen) updated the amplifier software....yes, I know, my thought as well, but they had just received a software update for that purpose for this problem. Seems to have resolved the problem.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:11 PM
mumanoff
Instructor

mine has jumped from am to fm and all of a sudden I get static when I turn on the front defroster....NOT HAPPY WITH THESE BUGS!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 03:54 PM
npplaw
Intermediate

Default update

Update: Forget the previous positive post, the channel/band hopping is still occuring. When it hops from AM to FM, you cannot select any other stations from the buttons, but you can scan with the steering wheel controls. WHiel doing so, the last AM station remains displayed in the center and Main display. When it hops to a channel on the same band, itdoes shoe the new station.
I give up till a completely new unit is delivered/available.

Quick Reply: Radio Channel/Band hopping